Nintendo Wii

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Well if I have jinxed myself with my comment, then I will give you a full play by play along with some pictures so that you can laugh at me for being so silly as the others who have done it :p

I agree that some force must have been used to break something like a TV along with the strap
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I knew a nice girl who played tennis games like that (on a dedicated tennis console thingie) - swinging violently, like she would an ordinary racket, though force wasn't really necessary. She'd work up a sweat in about two minutes; it was a real workout for her. I'll bet she could toss a Wii controller quite far...
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

I read in the newspaper an interesting point - sales of the Wii were over 34,000 units in the first four days of it being put on the market. This exceeds the Xbox at 32,000.

Nintendo is, quite obivously, somewhat pleased ;)

Does anybody know anything about the name "Wii"? - what meaning or significance does the name have?
:balloon::balloon: A proud propieter and advocate of tyranny :balloon::balloon:
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Indistinct.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148462.html

I like this fragment most:

One industry analyst who spoke in the condition of anonymity said flat out the choice was wrong, for a number of reasons. "It's a sound that doesn't exist in Japanese, so Japanese people will struggle to pronounce it."

:D
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Gendo
Prospect

Post by Gendo »

Noticed the original message wasn't stated in the article, or on wii's site (or if it is, they hid it well). So here it is:

" Introducing … Wii.
As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games … and each other. But you're probably asking, "What does the name mean?"

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. People around the world, no matter what language they speak, can easily remember Wii without confusion or need to abbreviate - just "Wii".

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me, it's about Wii. Together, Wii will change everything. "

Oh how we at the office laughed at its pretentiousness :p
Getting through life is as easy as 3.14159265...
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

The only game so far that could induce natural "release the Wiimote"-reaction has been bowling. But I can't see how you throw the wiimote at your TV so far in that game.

Ok, I admit by arm was a bit sore after first session of Tennis and my friend hit another friend (who has so much space in their living room that they can over 1 meter from each other in front of tv?) but so far, I have to agree that it's almost impossible to break the strap or to get your hand so slippery that it could escape your grasp and even then fly so far with such high velocity.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

But it seems that Nintendo was aware of the dangers already at an early stage. In the aforementioned article it said very suttle:

"Wii will break down that wall that separates game players from everybody else."

I think they were talking of the controllers but people misunderstood. :lol:
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

More tragic than strap incident. Doesnt quite belong to this thread, but since Wii is involved I decided to post it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/

Would you die for Wii too? :roll:
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Is it the "Hold your wee for Wii" story? I was flabbergasted...

GameSpots coverage: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164262.html

I like this part...

"At one point Strange was lying on the ground but told staff that she "could probably drink more" if someone could pick her up."
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

:Greenride:
Attachments
Wiiii.jpg
Wiiii.jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 12923 times
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Now, after having played Wii for a while at my brother's, I really have to agree with Wii's marketing material.

It really made gaming social.

Who would've guessed that it was more than an empty marketing speak?

I was playing real bowling the other night and I was suprised how little the experience was different from Wii's bowling. True, beer was more expensive and throwing the ball is much more difficult and strikes far more unlikely, but the joy of accomplishing and being together was similar.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

Yesterday, I tried out Wii Sports (tennis & bowling) from a shop that sells imported US Wii. It is quite interesting but I am still thinking whether to buy one as it is quite expensive and at the moment there isn't one game that I extremely like enough to make me buy the console.

The motion sensor and rumble in the remote make playing more fun. I suppose Nintendo might have expanded on their existing idea (tilt-sensor catridge) when they came up with the Wii remote. If anyone played the GBA game, Warioware Twisted, you will notice that the cartridge has a built in tilt-sensor & rumble pack. That made playing the GBA game interesting. Wii remote made more games enjoyable with the motion sensor & rumble but allows even more movement, swinging your arms which on a handheld GBA is only limited to tilting.

Probably, people get so engross in the game they are playing that they forget that they are not doing the actual sport (eg, bowling - let go of the ball -> one is not suppose to let go off the remote :P ). No wonder, there's all the flying remote accidents.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I must admit that I have gotten really entangled in the Wii sports and Wii Fit already. I try to play every day, and most of the time is with Tanja - who also plays at times without me. That is more than revolutionary - it almost breaks natural laws. Tanja has never been into playing computer games, and now here she is asking me if we can buy a Wii, and spending time on it alone... It really is a great piece of gaming equipment. My dad visited yesterday - and though not wanting to play it himself he had a great time laughing at us trying.
I am trying to find some game I can really dig deep into, and cntinue from time to time, progressing in the gameplay, and I am hearing something about Wii Sims, but I dont know anything about ANY Wii games except Sports and Fit (and Play of course). I got a game called Animal Crossing which got great reviews on Gamespot, but I think it is more of a childrens game than something I can really get deep into.
Anyone got any suggestions?

--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Uhm, get Okami, it's brilliant. The only Wii exclusive title that has ever intrigued me is No More Heroes.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Super Mario Galaxy is good, Metroid Prime too if you're into FPS shooters. Both have their share of variety and puzzles.

Mario Kart Wii is nice racing game.

Then there's game called Opera which plot is that you need to navigate a thing called the Internet...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Scythe wrote:Uhm, get Okami, it's brilliant. The only Wii exclusive title that has ever intrigued me is No More Heroes.
I actually got Okami from the library just before reading this. :) So far it seems ok, but I am guessing it will get better when I get deeper into it.

I have also spent 45 minutes today on th Wii-Fit, which is brilliant because I always needed something to motivate me to do exercises for my bad back. Here it is. :)

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Boom Blox is also fun. It's not really one dig deep into, but it's fun for the whole family. Some of the puzzles are insanely difficult. I think the sequel is out, so better get that than the first one.