Can Your System Play the Newest Games

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Parvini
Tycoon

Can Your System Play the Newest Games

Post by Parvini »

I don't know about you, but I've found system specs have gone through the roof recently.

I did a full upgrade of my PC about 2 years ago... new motherboard, new RAM, new graphics card etc.

Now I find that the motherboard I bought can't take the "new" type of P4 processor (not enough pins) and the older type are expensive due to being discontinued.

So my system specs are something like this at present:

1.8Ghz P4 processor
1.5GB RAM
128MB Geforce FX5600 graphics card
About 160GB harddrive

When I look at the back of things like Medieval 2: Total War and see this as the MINIMUM spec for the game I get very scared.

I think I've reached the moment where a NEW PC might be the only solution if I want to play new games. Has anyone else found that your system has suddenly become massively outmoded for the games out there now?
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

My (recently dubbed) old comp did indeed reach that state (and the one before it was an ancient artifact). I upgraded the last one to meet the specs of Vampire: Bloodlines, so that's two years ago. This new one, which I don't actually know the exact specs of (I was looking at too many and forgot which one I got, and haven't gotten around to examining it yet :lol:), is a dual core with a recent graphics card and had better run well for more than two years... I exchanged the old one due to some major glitches it was having though, but it's surely a bonus to have a gaming capable one now.
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

When Oblivion came out my almpst 3-year old notebook could handle it but my video card is a radeon 9700 with only 128 MB, so I don't know if I can play Gothic III. :(

As for Vampire the engine was far from perfect. Even with a high-end pc which my notebook was when it came out the loading time was terrible...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well I am currently wondering if my PC is too outdated yet. I have an Athlon 1500+ which means that I am slower by far to Parvinis...
I am thinking about updating it, but not sure wether it is worth the trouble since there wont be lots of money for me to buy games for come March...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Gendo
Prospect

Post by Gendo »

I'm fairly addicted to upgrading now. A peculiar and expensive hobby. Still, I like to think I get my money's worth due to the time I spend on this thing :p

I'm currently on an Athlon 64 3500+, 4 gigs of ram and a GeForce 7900GT. It'll do 'till the new year methinks :roll:
Getting through life is as easy as 3.14159265...
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

Although I can't enjoy all the eye candy currently possible, due to my hardware being a little long in the tooth, I still getting a level of gaming performance that I'm happy with.

P4 3.2GHz HT, 1GB DDR 3200 @ C2 Dual Channel, X800XL 256Mb DDR3, an ancient but still going hard SoundBlaster Live!, 2x 80Gb SATA Barracudas all humming along on XP Pro.
:balloon::balloon: A proud propieter and advocate of tyranny :balloon::balloon:
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Just got my first "Your system is way to old to play this game" message the other day. I tried to run a demo of Sid Meiers Railroads....

I decided to go look for a new comp. We got just got some value opened up in our apartement, so the financial part looks ok for me. I think I will go for at least a budget of 7000 kroner (Aprox. 1000$).

--Mark Twain
spanek
Tycoon

Post by spanek »

What are your specs??

I thought that I had a good pc, until Oblivion came out... The graphic card could not support it. All I got was a white screen... :p

So I went and changed it. Now my pc specs are as follows:

Athlon XP 3400+(I bought it just before the announcement of Athlon 64, and I still curse that day...)
1gb Kingston RAM
256MB DDR3 ATI X1600 Pro
~1TB hard disks (2 300GB SATA, one 200GB ATA and one 250GB ATA) + 80GB external disk (i'm in to p2p :D)

With these specs, Oblivion played fine, but now I get crashes from Medieval 2...
[url=http://s1.gladiatus.gr/game/c.php?uid=17513]Press me if you dare!![/url]
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

mine is ok, it does what I want it to do :p

2.8Ghz Pentium 4
1.5gb Ram
ATI Radeon 512mb X1650 PRO
300gb Hard Drive

EDIT: noticed my graphics card number was wrong it is a x1650 not 1600 :p
Last edited by Dizi on Wed Dec 27, 2006 13:20, edited 2 times in total.
SGSW
Warhero
Location: On my way to hell or heaven whatever seems best at the moment

Post by SGSW »

Mine can play the newest games, but it becomes too slow on some of them.

And about Oblivion I'm not surprised. They say that if you would want to play it with top-notch quality smoothly and with no problems you'd have to wait about 6 years untl you can find hardware that can cope with the requirements.

I have a 3000+ Athlon, ATI RX600Pro, 256 MBDDR, 1GB Ram 400 MHz and an Asus MotherBoard PCI-E
http://www.vinylplastik.com/ - Wall Graphic Interiors - decoration - ships worldwide, AFAIK and it's run by someone I know.

htpp://www.lulu.com/ - Self-Publishing site

If you want a place to stay in Lisbon, staying for more than 3 days (excluding the yoth hostel) and are afraid to leave the girls with me try this http://lisbonsteps.blogspot.com/
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Mine is a Dual Core Intel 2 6400 2.13 GHz (x2)
2 GB Ram
GeForce 7900 GS
and about 240 GB harddisk

But I play Oblivion on the XBox 360. :p
Pager

Post by Pager »

I thought I had an amazing system, but I still can not play FEAR. Nor can I play anything at maximum resolution. Not even Half-Life 2 for some reason...but I just updated my video card and haven't tried HL2 since then...so you never know...but these are my specs right now:

Athlon XP 3000+
1.0 Gb DDR RAM
Radeon X1600 Pro 512Mb DDR2
240 Gb HD space
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am awaiting my new system:

Intel Dual Core 6600 (2,4 Ghz, 1066 Mhz, 4MB)
2048 MB Dual channel DDR2 memory (2x1024, with room for 4)
250 GB harddisk (and I am moving my 150 GB HD over to this one eventually) (Actually leaving me with a 150 GB HD more with no use...)
256MB nVidia GeForce 7300 Turbocache

And I get my first flat screen.

Thanks for the pointer Scythe!

This system should be able to play most games out there.

--Mark Twain
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Well, I just dumped my 18. Ghz Sempron system. It has been replaced by a Mac G3 @450 MHz running OS 10.4. This system is my workstation, and soon will be utilized for multimedia applications.

My laptop is my primary gaming/geneal purpose machine. It will play what I want it to, even though it' only a 700MHz CPU with 384 of RAM. I can play Transport Tycoon easily, the 128 bit version to Simutrans, and most of my other games I enjoy. I won't play the newest games, but it does what I want, and that's what is important.

Oh, and I have a Pentium II at my dining room table, where I buiild models. Strictly a wireless internet machine for accessing modelmaking info.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.