New adventure games

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Drasir-Vel wrote:But i still need to have steam installed, and that requires an internet connection. It should be able to install everything from the bottom up w/o internet connection.
In that case you should look at GOG. No DRM and you just download the game.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: New adventure games

Post by Zyx »

If anyone's into the new adventure games, they're having a 50% sale of 50 games at The Adventure Shop. Such gems like A Vampyre Story, Broken Sword 2 & 3, Runaway and Syberia for really really low prices like 7 and 3 euros.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

They have quite a few adventure games there.
Syberia is surprisingly cheap compared to all the other lesser known titles.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

If you missed that sale, you can get Broken Sword 2 & 3 for 3 euros at Steam. Also, everything from Telltale (Sam & Max, Bone, Strongbad, Wallace & Gromit) for 50 euros.

You can also preorder the Monkey Island 2 Special Edition for 10 euros, and you'll get the MI1:SE for free.

Unfortunately, these all require Steam - so sorry, if you're not into that.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Once again, it's I love Telltale month. Not only will Telltale release Back to the Future (with Cristopher Lloyd as Doc Brown!) and Jurassic Park games, they have set up a $20 Adventure Bundle with 6 games.

The games in the bundle are The Whispered World, Jack Keane, King's Quest Collection, Penny Arcade Adventures, Puzzle Agent and Sam & Max Season 2. Most of them are quite new adventure games, except for the KQ collection.

Oh, and 25% of the sales will go to charities, a bit like with the Humble Indie Bundle some time ago.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

The annual Talk Like a Pirate day is here soon! (This Sunday!)

To celebrate, Telltale has the whole season of Tales of Monkey Island for 5 bucks (the link works only from whenever Friday evening is in US).

I seriously recommend getting the series if the original Monkey Islands ever meant something for you. Gameplay-wise the games are quite similar to the Sam & Max Season 2 games from Telltale, but a bit better.

update: Naturally, Talk Like a Pirate day means that also MI:SE and MI2:SE are on sale as well.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Hmm, for some strange reasons they don't accept my credit card (the only place where I ever had trouble with it). Maybe I should open a PayPal account tomorrow, so I can use this offer...
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

And just because it is Halloween soon, Telltale will have an episode of Sam & Max: Season 2, The Night of The Raving Dead from Oct 26th (American Time) all the way to the end of month for free.

Not my favorite episode of the season, but a good one. It involves raving zombies with bad German accents.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Am I blind? I can't find an announcement or a download link on Telltale's site... :shrug:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:Am I blind? I can't find an announcement or a download link on Telltale's site... :shrug:
You just live in the wrong timezone (also known as not-an-American-timezone). It's marked as a free download there now.

I don't think they announced it elsewhere, just in their newsletter.
Everybody goes home with a prize at Telltale: beginning tomorrow, Oct . 26, through Halloween weekend, we're giving away Sam & Max: Night of the Raving Dead, the crime fighting 'boo-oh's' creepy adventure. Simply shamble your way over starting tomorrow to claim your brains...erm, free episode!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

America is 18 hours behind??? Interesting... :P

But the download link is there now. Thank you!
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Scythe greatly recommends... Edna & Harvey: The Breakout. First game in years to make me laugh so much, so loudly. Very impressive amount of unique object interaction as well.

"Edna wakes up in the padded cell of an insane asylum with no memory of her past or how she ended up there. Only one thing is for certain: She has been wrongfully imprisoned and will have to escape! After all, she feels entirely sane – and her speaking stuffed toy bunny Harvey wholeheartedly agrees."

http://eu-adventureshop.gamesplanet.com ... arvey.html
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Love the introduction! The game sounds extremely fun.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

Just thought that I'll mentioned this in case there are people interested but have overlooked this:
"Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror: Remastered" for iphone/ipad is free for download from 22 to 29 December 2011 at the apps store. Nice Christmas gift from Revolution :wink: It's 696MB with quite good graphics. I've play part of it so far. For more details, refer to this. Grab your Christmas gift before it expire if you haven't done so. :P
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Okay, played through the Blackwell trilogy. Each game took pretty much 2,5 hours, which to me was pretty ok. The stories got told and didn't linger on.

I was a bit surprised by the uneven quality of graphics between the games. I preferred the graphic style of the first one, the second went a bit too indie and the third one tried to improve on the first one. I think the same goes for the stories, I guess the second game was a bit rushed or something? The third, like in the graphics, tries to improve on the first one. The problem however is that instead of trying to package the story arc, the third episode's ending decides to blow all kind of new ideas everywhere and does not even try to continue on the small threads left lingering from the earlier games. I guess the writer got greedy, which is sad because the elements to have a nice contained story arc were all there. The only constant improvement was in the music, the first one had really erratic choices.

Even though the Blackwell games are pretty old-school point and click games, they bypass many shortcomings of the genre by for example not having any inventory puzzles and most of the puzzles revolve around going through dialogue trees - there are very few actual puzzles in the games. In the second and third game there is some added complexity by being able to change between the two main lead characters, but these adds very, very little.

What's with all the "modern" adventure games having female leads?

There's a new fourth game to the series. However, I'd be only interested to know if the writer of the series is able to close any of the story arcs.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:most of the puzzles revolve around going through dialogue trees
I think you should try The Shivah.
Zyx wrote:What's with all the "modern" adventure games having female leads?
I love this passage! :mrgreen:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I recently stumped through Lost Horizon. It was... ok, in a heavy pulp sort of way. You'll be pleased to know that it didn't have a female lead. In fact, the female love interest was a pain in the ass for most of the game, until the very weird ending sequence. Worst part of the game though was how hard it was trying to be Indiana Jones. When the protagonist says "Nazis. I hate these guys!" it borders on copyright infringement.

Oh, and some time ago I went through Gray Matter which DID have a female lead. In fact it had female written all over it. I guess that's what you should expect from a Jane Jensen game though. Bit too much romantic mush for me to stomach in one sitting.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Regarding the Double Fine Adventure, there's a thread in Double Fine Action Forums about the best adventure games of last 10 years. The lists are... quite short.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I laughed SO hard at most of those lists. Yes, it's a sad state of affairs.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Yes, an adventure game had to really suck balls not to be mentioned in any of the posts. Because many that were quite sucky are listed there.