New adventure games

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: New adventure games

Post by Zyx »

I finally played Ben There, Dan That, and it was okay. A bit too straight-forward for my tastes, though. Also, the right-click cycling of actions was a bit tedious. The game had also many cases of reverse-puzzles, where you find the items before the puzzle so that you've solved the puzzle before seeing it.

But at least it was entertaining. The game has its moments, but what I also realized is how much music and sounds make a game as the game has very little of either. It had the insane inventory puzzles of old school adventure games and all in all seemed to take both good and bad design choices from that eras games.

It was also often quite difficult to read the dialogue because the colors mashed against the backgrounds. I'm being way too hard on the game, because it's a nice game despite its flaws.

Anway, on to Time Gentlemen, Please!...
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Also, a note for Chroelle, the game takes about 2 hours to finish =)
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Time gentlemen? Then I should probably fire up my present. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

In other news, I have recently come to possession of yet another copy of Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please! if anyone is interested.

Also, Chroelle hasn't fired up his present so far....
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

DAMMIT I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING!!!

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I cannot seem to find the gift certificate or whatsitsname. Can you resend or tell me something helpful on that. Haven't used steam since HL2-part2 I believe...

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I re-sent the gift to your email.

edit: clarified.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I read "I resent" and got hugely embarrased that I didn't accept the gift yet, but then realised that you probably meant "resend" and only felt pretty embarrased. :)

And Thanks. I will go download it now.

--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

"Resent" is also the past tense of "resend", you bad teacher, you.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

*bows humbly before his superior english typer* :notworthy:

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Ron Gilbert has announced his new adventure game, The Cave. Not to be confused with the Double Fine Adventure.

Speaking of crowd-funded adventure games, it looks like the Two Guys from Andromeda get to make a new Space Adventure that probably has some Quests in it and definitely has numerous ways to die.
smayragrace

Post by smayragrace »

For me the best adventure movie is Super Mario 3D land but any ways you have shared such great games with me.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I was quite surprised to find out that there is a Pat & Mat adventure game. Pat & Mat might not ring any bells as names, but I'm pretty sure most of you here are familiar with these two Czech handymen puppets once you see them.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:I'm pretty sure most of you here are familiar with these two Czech handymen
Including the ones who posted their videos in certain topic. ;)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Following in the footsteps of other 2D adventure games, Revolution Software has announced a Kickstarter for Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse.

Adventure games are dead.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Why dead?

Ive just found the link on Lemon Amiga and wanted to post about it, but it seems you were first. It looks good for me.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Considering the amount of interest all these golden age adventure games get on Kickstarter, adventure games are clearly not dead so it was an attempt at a joke. However, I'm a bit worried that most of these efforts won't evolve the genre, but follow the tried-and-true mechanics. I've been following the Double Fine Adventure development videos and it looks like they're looking how they can bring something new to the table. Schafer has said that Limbo and Machinarium to him were refreshing takes on adventure games and it looks like also Ron Gilbert's The Cave tries to (guessing from screenshots) find new life to adventure games from borrowing a bit from platformers... both genres can rely a lot on puzzles so it does make a bit sense but this is something Double Fine has experimented quite a lot already in Psychonauts.

There were reasons why adventure games were/are on the decline/dead and story-telling is such an element already in other genres (even shooters!) that it's not enough to just have a story anymore. Space Quest had a lot of player deaths (that would probably just annoy the player these days) and Broken Sword had templars before Dan Brown, so for either to really bring something new instead of riding on nostalgia will be a challenge. I will probably plough through both regardless.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Zyx wrote:and Broken Sword had templars before Dan Brown
...and they were already a cliché back then... This happens to be the premiere reason why I have such difficulty enjoying Broken Sword games. I think.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:most of these efforts won't evolve the genre, but follow the tried-and-true mechanics.
The problem is that for some (majority?) people adventure games are defined by their conservatism and they simply love to use key on keyhole round and around. Most people who talk about "golden age of adventure games" give Monkey Island and Indy IV as prime examples of what constitutes the genre for them. So what they really want imo is professional pixel art, witty dialogues, captivating plot, inventory-based puzzles and cinematiqueness. They don't really want the genre to evolve, especially that nobody knows how to push forward something that worked so well 20 years ago. Adventure Game Studio fulfills their dreams to some point, however the quality of games developed with this tool varies.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I think the problem is that they believe they love the "old golden age adventure games" but that's just a memory. They have an imperfect, glorified image of them. These are the same people who want their favorite bands to make a new album that's exactly like their favorite album. The artists are better off not listening to these people...