New adventure games

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Im sorry I wont be doing any arguing on this one, as it simply looks like a sweet way to reexperience something great from the past in a new updated version. I simply love Telltales concept though I must say that I am still finding it hard to find playing time for anything other than freeware... Bu when I find the time this might be a VERY good candidate...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I'm playing the sequel to Secret Files Tunguska right now. Why? It's not as if I enjoyed the first one that much. Everything they did wrong in the first one, they, yay(!), repeated in the second. Sound volume goes up and down, voice acting is terrible beyond belief, but hey, I haven't had to tape a cell phone to the back of a cat yet. Apart from one extremely unbelievable puzzle, it's also been fairly logical so far.

Most disturbing: I don't think I've ever seen another game where so many resources were spent animating the heroine's ass...
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Scythe wrote:Most disturbing: I don't think I've ever seen another game where so many resources were spent animating the heroine's ass...
Never played Tomb Raider? :wink:
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Tomb Raider does not use half the resources allotted to Nina's ass... as far as I can tell anyway. Or maybe it's just that they used 50 times the resources used on the rest of the body, which is why it stands out so much. Either way, disturbing.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I just bought Secret Files 2, busy playing Ceville at the moment :)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I own Ceville, but it refuses to work properly... Backgrounds look like made by drunken background designer, game itself hangs whole compy. I need more powerful stuff to play it I reckon. 2012 maybe...? ;)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I don't know why, but I went and got Still Life 2. So I replayed the original one, and while it isn't much of a game, I actually found the story better the second time around. It still suffers heavily from missing a conclusion, but that's where the sequel comes into the picture. It actually wraps up the first game, but also delivers a second one that is endlessly better than the first, has better puzzles (it actually has some, which by default makes it better) and much more compelling gameplay, plus is much longer. It's a little gruesome at times, but does really well in what it doesn't actually show, just hint at. While the graphics look like something from years ago, graphics are the least important thing, to me. Vastly entertained so far.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I got Still Life 2, haven't played it yet...way it always goes with me at the moment. So I am happy to hear that it is turning out to be a good game for you Scythe, I liked the story of the 1st still life and have been waiting for this one but now that it is out I want to play the 1st one again as a refresher.

Finished Monkey Island:Launch of the Screaming Narwhal yesterday, it is short but as it is monthly episode based its what I expected. It was a great start to the series, the game left me wanting more, while being in a place where I felt that I had set out what I was meant to do. Humour and style of the game stays true to MI, puzzles while not hard were satisfying and it was great to see that combining items is possible in this game...only complaint the wasd walking is annoying as hell, and it should of allowed both that style of movement and also simple point and click movement.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I finished it (SL2), and it was certainly not without faults, but I really liked the puzzles. One plot twist too many though, but it made for a longer game, so it's ok.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Monkey Island SE is now available for download for anyone who is interested :)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

...and I will be probably be getting it for the X360 soonish.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

We love Telltale.

Telltale loves us.

I mean, that ad position only gets like 50 views a day or so.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Yes, that is a seriously bad place for an ad. But it's cheap.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Has anyone tried out the new Monkey Island game yet? Telltale didn't accept my credit card some weeks ago (god knows why), so I didn't preorder it. But I think I will order it as soon as I have some more time again (which is hopefully in one week)...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Yeah I saw the TellTale ad some days ago. I really loved them for it! I am wondering if they chose this themselves, or if it was just an automated campaign that placed their ad at our place...

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Okay, this isn't on any grounds a new adventure game, but you can get the most amazing game Psychonauts for just 2 euros on Steam right now.

The. Best. Game. Ever.

PS. Tim Schafer is God.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I just saw that Telltale is releasing the Monkey Island series on Wii as well, so I am considering buying it there, as I lack a good Wii-game that I can return to and get further in. More or less just have games that are over in one go - arcade style - at the moment.

--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Zyx wrote:Okay, this isn't on any grounds a new adventure game, but you can get the most amazing game Psychonauts for just 2 euros on Steam right now.
I wonder, does games you buy on Steam have DRM in them. Because i have a stationary computer which doesn't have access to the internet. And it would be a problem if it had to go online the first time it started.
I've had some problems buying some Chronic Logic games on Direct2Drive before. (installed the game, and found out i had to get an activation code by asking them. When i finally got it, and tried it, i found out that it didn't work because i had uninstalled the game in the meantime, and it has a new request code for every time you install it. Too much trouble if you ask me.) Though i also bought World of Goo on their site, and it didn't need any activation at all. Played right out of the box.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Drasir-Vel wrote:
Zyx wrote:Okay, this isn't on any grounds a new adventure game, but you can get the most amazing game Psychonauts for just 2 euros on Steam right now.
I wonder, does games you buy on Steam have DRM in them. Because i have a stationary computer which doesn't have access to the internet. And it would be a problem if it had to go online the first time it started.
Depends on the game, Steam has usually information about if activation is required or not. As far as I'm aware, Psychonauts doesn't have any DRM or online activation.
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

But i still need to have steam installed, and that requires an internet connection. It should be able to install everything from the bottom up w/o internet connection.
Just bought Psychonauts. So i'm gonna see if it'll work. In any case, i would only have lost 15 kr.