SimCity 3000 Ulimited Game Crash

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Railwaymodeler
Legend

SimCity 3000 Ulimited Game Crash

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Has anyone else experienced SimCity 3000 Unlimited quitting to the desktop by itself? Been playing SC3KU quite a bit lately and several times now, the game closes out completely with no warning at all.

Very frustrating, at the least. My laptop is an AMD Turion X2 2Ghz CPU, 2 GB RAM (DDR2 800 MHz, Dual Channel), ATI Radeon X1200 GPU, and Windows XP Pro SP3. I do have a No-CD patch with the game, because although I do have the CD, it is a pain to carry game discs around and insert and remove them while traveling.

Any advice?
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: SimCity 3000 Ulimited Game Crash

Post by Pager »

Is it firing an exception to your event viewer?
Last time I had a similar problem with something it was due to video card drivers conflicting with some Microsoft Patch.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Re: SimCity 3000 Ulimited Game Crash

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Found the solution. Turns out SC3K and SimCity 4 both do not properly run on dual (Or more) core processor computers. When the game starts, press CTRL+ALT+DEL, go to running processes, find the .exe file for the game. Right click it, select 'Set Affinity' and uncheck all but one CPU. Works fine then.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.