XCOM Enemy Unknown

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Post by Scythe »

Anybody getting this newest incarnation of the classic franchise?

If so, let me know how it goes, I'm on the fence about getting it.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: XCOM Enemy Unknown

Post by Pater Alf »

I'm interested as well. Heard some very good things as well as some very bad things about so far.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I have heard that it has a demo. Like with Civilization V, I think it's better for me to leave this be. I can afford only so many time sinks these days.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

The demo had a tutorial mission (all actions are scripted so no deviating from what you're asked to do) and one mission (technically two, but you have to choose) so in total around 50 mins and 5 GB of game. Not much base-building in the demo so hard to say how it works here.

Anyway, it would wrong to say that they have simplified or dumbed down the game (at least based on the demo), although I was a bit disappointed that the missions don't begin with unloading the troops one by one from the aircraft... The user interface is streamlined, but otherwise it seems this is the most faithful remake of the original.

No idea if the full game is as unforgiving as the original was. Guessing from the tutorial mission, they at least want to claim that it is.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

5 GB for a demo? That gets ridiculous... :shock:

Interesting that you say that they didn't simplify the game. From all I've heard, that was what people mostly complained about. Mainly because of the two-actions-per-turn rule instead of the original action-points.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:Interesting that you say that they didn't simplify the game. From all I've heard, that was what people mostly complained about. Mainly because of the two-actions-per-turn rule instead of the original action-points.
Well, it's more of a two-or-so-actions-per-turn... and I don't think there's a difference between having an absolute number of actions points when in practice it translates to the same thing. But yeah, I guess you can't do stuff like move one step and shoot two times, which could have been possible in original, now any movement will essentially halve your APs.

So yeah, I guess it depends on how you view things: are you a purist or not. In the old game, I had to do arithmetic in my head so I wouldn't be couple of APs short so in that view, the new one is simplified. But I wouldn't complain about that. I think this is similar than complaining that Civ V simplified things by not having stacking etc. (not least because both Civ V and XCom are by Firaxis.) I find Civ V much more enjoyable than Civ IV. ...but there's definitely something in Civ IV and original UFO: Enemy Unknown (it's funny that the new game combines the regionally different names of the original) that still feels missing in the later versions. But nothing's stopping me playing the originals if I want to.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I understand that there are different diffculty levels. "Traditional" is not so nice, from what I hear. People tell me the cover system is terrible. As in, enemies shoot you through walls because even solid cover works as -% chance to hit. Anyway, demos never sell a game to me. Until I hear details, I will put it on the "some day when it's cheaper" list.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

This being a Firaxis game, it's probably for the best to wait. Civ V at launch was almost unplayable according to many stories.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

One criticism that I've seen against XCOM is that it doesn't make any sense that you start out with minimal resources and no money and you have to earn your pittance even though the aliens are attacking the world. I find this entirely plausible, seeing how little resources we are putting into stopping an actual global threat, the global warming.