Minecraft

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Re: Minecraft

Post by Drasir-Vel »

It's not that long. Only about half a year from my experience :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Luckily the weather is fantastic, and I have 3 womenkind to keep me busy elsewhere than by my PC. But this game surely has something. It reminds me a lot of Stranded 2 - a game most of you might remember I wrote a guide about, because I loved how extensive it was. This could be better - but of course not free.

I am having some issues figuring out how to do some stuff though - for example I cannot seem to get the hang of day and night cycles in the game, so I tend to break down my cave where I hid from monsters, in the middle of the night, believing that it should be morning by now - which actually caused me to die once... Does anyone have a trick about this?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

You can leave a 1 by 1 meter hole open to have a look out. Enemies can't get in through that. Skeletons can fire through but only if you are in sight. You could also just set it on peaceful setting if you like to play it that way. Then there are no monsters.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Got me a hut and a bed set up, so that cleared the issue with the cycle. Also got me some windows, and doors. I even created a sort of creature pen, but now I cannot seem to get wheat. I have a hoe, and I have been reading about it but haven't gotten any wiser on the matter. Could you walk me through it?

--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Sure i can. When making a farm make sure that it's protected from animals trampling on it, by fencing it in. If you need to walk over the crops, hold down shift so you don't trample them yourself either.

Also remove any grass inside the farm, because animals spawn on grass. Prevent that the grass from outside the fence spreads to the inside. Grass spreads from a dirt block to the one next to it over time, so you can seperate it by putting gravel or something else underneath the fence.

If you right-click with the hoe on a dirt block with grass on it, the dirt gets tilled and there is a chance of it producing a seed.

You then right click with the seeds on the tilled dirt in your farm to plant them.
After some days wheat will grow up. It's fully grown when it isn't green anymore.

To make it grow much faster you can put some water near it. Then the dirt up to four blocks away from the water will get moist.

If you don't have a metal bucket to get the water with, you can just choose to make the farm by the seaside, maybe digging some trenches in.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I don't know what I just read.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I think we lost them.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Actually figured it out by myself, but thanks for letting me know. I was leftclicking with the hoe, so that just removed the tile instead of making it farmland...
This game is so close to the Stranded 2 experience which you lost me to for weeks, so dont expect too much from me in the coming weeks. :)
But as always I will be in here daily. Just after, before and in between playing Minecraft.

--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I've started playing Minecraft again. But now i'm trying something i haven't done before. Usually i would only play Minecraft in the games' own generated worlds, but now i'm playing through these custom maps http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/191 ... %E2%98%A0/. It's user made worlds where normal materials necessary for survival like meat from animals, trees and dirt to grow trees on are very rare. It increases the difficulty and also the immersion, so it feels a lot like when i tried surviving in Stranded 2. The goal in these custom maps is to find all the differently colored materials and and place them on a thing called the victory monument.

I'm currently playing Super Hostile 01 Sea of Flame II, which is a hell world, with islands of sand and obsidian. I've managed to get a few blocks of dirt and saplings to grow trees, so i now have a relatively stable source of wood. Since the 1.8 patch, you have a food bar and you will loose health if you go for long without eating anything. I'm currently only surviving on the things i find in chests in the different dungeons . That's not always enough, so i dreadfully enough have to survive on the rotten meat from zombies.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

For you Minecrafters, there's a lot of interesting videos on YT, showcasing the so-called Minecraft Art. Like this one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gJ_sKnPl50
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

:) After seeing the posts I deducted that you don't know the vastness of minecraft. First you can make almost everything you want one way or another (mods or complex structure) here are some examples of stuff: TV (huge programation), printer (same as TV but uses paint mod as a base), cities, elevators, Aether portal (opposite of nether)(mod). And a mind-blowing number The Minecraft worlds have 32000000 (yep 32 million) blocks as sides (which is 1024000000000000 square blocks) don't make me show you the number of total blocks :P
Last edited by Master_X on Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I was thinking of picking it up again after finishing Mass Effect - which I am close to.

--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I could imagine you've already seen this site Chroelle, but just in case, here's a site you might be interested in: http://minecraftedu.com/
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Good spotted - both observations. It is indeed one for me, and I already found it some time ago and used it as a source for an article on Minecraft used for educational purposes. :)

CAnt remember if I told you this already, but there is a teacher that made a world that is one big tutorial and then classroom afterwards. I got the download, but I haven't tried it yet. I am considering making one in Danish for use ith the kids at my work. I might get a computer-workshop at my workplace so I can use stuff like that with the kids on a weekly basis. I would love that!

--Mark Twain