RPGs

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Prideth
Patron

RPGs

Post by Prideth »

I love RPG games. Discovered them on the old SNES and collected a decent sized number of cartridges. Now I am collecting them for the PC.

Because we have only had a PC in this house since 2002, the old DOS RPGs don't interest me much because the vast majority of them won't work on this machine, so I've been looking at newer games. Already have Arcanum (great game, I love it) and Morrowind - The Elder Scrolls 3, but want to find some more good titles to add to my rather sorry looking PC RPG collection.

My main problem is there are so many to choose from and I simply can't tell the good ones from the bad by just looking at boxes, and they are far too expensive to buy "just to try".

Does anyone know of good recent RPGs? Non-3D ones would be best, that is another problem for me, 3D games make me motion sick. I've barely looked at Morrowind for that very reason (it was one I bought just because of the title on the strength of its reputation).

That is another question, does anyone else suffer this problem, and have found a solution. It's annoying to be playing a great game, and fighting nausea at the same time (Zelda - Ocarina of time for example).
[size=75][color=darkblue]Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day[/color][/size]
Dot O'Rock
Patron

Post by Dot O'Rock »

Fallout-series (especially teh second installment, especially if you love Arcanum ;) ), Planescape Torment, Baldur's gate-series and Icewind dale spring to mind.

I'd especially recommend Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment ^_^
If you don't make a friend now,
one might make you -
so learn
the gentle art of making enemies.
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

Prideth - What you should do right away is order Baldur's Gate and its add-on "Tales of the Sword coast" and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn plus Throne of Bhaal...

If you don't like those games you don't like RPGs... I don't think a better series exists - arguably one of the best games made in any genre ever.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
SGSW
Warhero
Location: On my way to hell or heaven whatever seems best at the moment

Post by SGSW »

If you don't like those games you don't like RPGs... I don't think a better series exists - arguably one of the best games made in any genre ever.
Heathen

* Suddenly a Cleric from the true RPGs shows up, ties Parvini to the pole and burns him alive * :D ;) :P

Anyway if you don't want to buy before you try I would suggest that you download the demos of the games you want to try (if they don't exist, I may have another solution, but as I don't like to rveal it in public PM me, if you wish to discuss things further, unless you prefer to only read and trust the reviews)

Now for the list

From the 3d perspective I would recommend the Gothic series

From the "False 3d" 1st person perspective I recommend Wizardry 6, 7and 8 the last one is definitely one of the best RPGs ever made

Planescape Torment, Divine Divinty, Beyond Divinity, (Deus EX & System Shock 2 if you like FPSs), Fallout 1 & 2 (these you can't miss, if you like non-linear RPGs) I didn't like much Neverwinter Nights, but some peole say it's a great game, so it's up to you.

And of course the new Elder Scrolls, Oblivion which the reviews say wonderfully about it.

And if you like Hack&Slash games Nox isn't all bad (I don't call it a RPG, because it's to linear and you don't have much choice apart from choosing between 3 different classes that have a completely different game style from one another)
http://www.vinylplastik.com/ - Wall Graphic Interiors - decoration - ships worldwide, AFAIK and it's run by someone I know.

htpp://www.lulu.com/ - Self-Publishing site

If you want a place to stay in Lisbon, staying for more than 3 days (excluding the yoth hostel) and are afraid to leave the girls with me try this http://lisbonsteps.blogspot.com/
Prideth
Patron

Post by Prideth »

Thankyou for all the suggestions everyone.

I have heard of Baldur's Gate, and after reading so many of your posts singing its praises Parvini, did consider buying it. Didn't however because I thought it would be too old to run properly on my comp. Will have a closer look at it now though, along with some of the others suggested here :).
Never let it fade away
Heimnar
Prospect

Post by Heimnar »

Baldurs Gate series is a good choice. Among the best RPGs I have ever played.

If you like try out Might And Magic (from part VI up should work without any problems). For me - they are just great. But...3D to some extent (flat sprites). So - disqualified. Pity - a great game.
Or rather Great Games

Oh - and there are two more. They might be not the kind of RPGs as you may expect, but in my oppinion - realy fantastic games.
First is ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Myster) - the best "Rogue-like" game I have played.
Second in "Unreal World" - demo can be found on the net, full copy - bought online. Marvellous. Iron age in Scandinavia. You will fight for food, shelter, build your own house (with sauna of course) cut timber for fire, hunt. A really, really nice game.
Podpisano - kot BEHEMOT
http://zxplanet.emuunlim.com/ - ZX SPECTRUM place for fanatics :welcome:
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

Pridy - I'd reccommend getting BOTH BG1 + expansion and BG2+ Expansion and then downloading the excellent BG Tutu:

http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

It will then play right the way through as one big huge game.... I honestly can't think of a better single-player experience in ANY GENRE.

It has more twists and freedom than Deus EX, a better xp system than Morrowind and - in my opinion at least - a better story than Planescape: Torment.

Truly a masterpiece.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
SGSW
Warhero

Post by SGSW »

BTW I didn't mention Vampires Bloodlines earlier because of a few reasons:

1- It is full of bugs and even with the latest patch prone to crashes
2- It's a true 3d environment
3- It requires a fairly powerful machine and the game engine is sobad that the graphics are well below what should be expected for the requirements
4- The gaming loading times are frequennt and long

The good things are:

1- Best XP system there ever was and true to Pen&Paper tradition you only get XP when you finish a quest or do something important and relevant to the storyline

2- You have a fair replay value and even greater if you don't do every subquest

3- It is an excellent adaptation from the World of Darkness and The Vampires worlds

4- It has an interesting story (reasonable/fairly good)

5- You will this one understand when you play with a Malkavian character
http://www.vinylplastik.com/ - Wall Graphic Interiors - decoration - ships worldwide, AFAIK and it's run by someone I know.

If you want a place to stay in Lisbon, staying for more than 3 days (excluding the yoth hostel) and are afraid to leave the girls with me try this http://lisbonsteps.blogspot.com/
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

I'm a major fan of the Fallout series of RPGs and would include Arcanum as well... I'm not really a fan of the goblins, orcs and elves sort of thing...

Although I am enjoying Oblivion (TES4), which has goblins, orcs and elves... :roll: Eric the :viking: :D Something to be said for hacking things apart with a dirty great big sword and treasure hunting. I also find I'm enjoying being an assassin, just a little too much perhaps.... :twisted:
KDream

Post by KDream »

Fallout rocks - turn based RPG, lots of dialogue and non-linear. You might also give Diablo a shot - expecially the second release.
Prideth
Patron

Post by Prideth »

I already have Diablo 1, 2 and the expansion (bought the Battle Chest). It is my favorite game, but I wouldn't class it as an RPG myself, more a hack and slash. That is why I didn't mention it in my first post.

Found out recently my brother has Baldur's Gate 2, so I borrowed it and it is currently sitting on my scanner waiting for me to install it and have a look. If it is any good I'll go buy my own copy.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I certainly have some possibilities to look for now :).
Never let it fade away
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I see many good suggestions, from many a good time. I second (third?) Baldur's Gate II, Planescape: Torment (my personal favorite) and Wizardry 8 (not so detailed 3D) as the top of the crop when it comes to non-DOS. I am uncertain how well it performs on new machines, but would also add Albion as an RPG with an excellent storyline.
Varnus
Tourist

Post by Varnus »

and 'lo, descending from the heavens came the solution for dosplayers, in the form of the allmighty DosBox. Should play just about everything, and opens up the realm towards Might and Magic, older installments (I dont think motion sickness qualifies here), and lots of other suggestions (read on the greatest RPG threads, loads around it seems ^_^). Albion would work better on DosBox, in my experience, by the way.

Also, Try downloading the snes emulator called ZSNES, and its main RPGs, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI (the opening tune... I just cant skip it, every time I play <shivers in bliss>, and arguably the first installment of Star Ocean.

...And dont worry, Baldur's gate II doesnt require much to run. Most computers handle it without problems.

My two cents ^_^
Prideth
Patron

Post by Prideth »

I've tried DosBox, but due to my technical inadequacies could never get the thing to work, so gave up on it.

Already have and use a SNES emulater, not ZNES though because I don't like it, but the other one. Even bought a proper PS type controller so I could play the games properly without using the comp's keyboard.

Baldur's gate 2 is installed and runs fine. I just got sick of dying 5 minutes into the game everytime I try to play it. When I can work out how to make my character fight and/or use spells, I may stand a chance of actually getting past the very start of the thing.
Never let it fade away
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

Prideth, go on my website: www.parviniworld.cjb.cc and in the games section there are some good tips on DOSBOX, they are fairly idiot proof.

EDIT: It is, for some reason, wrongly attributed to the "useful gaming terms" link. So go through that. :doh:
SGSW
Warhero

Post by SGSW »

Wizardry 8 (not so detailed 3D) as the top of the crop when it comes to non-DOS. I am uncertain how well it performs on new machines,
As for that I can answer the question, it plays perfedctly on my athlon 3000+ 64 bits with Windows XP SP2, so it's safe

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Nice misquote. :p I'm uncertain how well Albion performs on new machines, not Wizardy 8.
SGSW
Warhero

Post by SGSW »

Nice misquote. I'm uncertain how well Albion performs on new machines, not Wizardy 8.
:doh: :brainfarts:

Anyway, I think it's time to suggest to Prideth for her to play Pen&Paper RPGs - for those are truely the best. In her Case I would recommend getting a more social RPG