What games are you playing currently

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: What games are you playing currently

Post by Pater Alf »

Lone Survivor
Absolutely not what I expected it to be. I thought I would get a point-and-click horror adventure, instead it was kind of an interactive novel with some exploration, survival and action elements and a weird trip to the subconscious of a broken mind. Interesting and also a little disturbing with lots of surrealistic sequences. Definitly well designed (I love the grapics, effects and music) and worth a try. Don't think I will play again to get the other endings though.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Defender's Quest
Tower defense game with a fantasy setting and some RPG elements. Super awesome! I played about 22 hours in the last three days ( :shock: ) and I don't even like tower defense games.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I just finished Telltale's Walking Dead complete season. I'm pretty sure this will be Telltale's strongest offer ever, even though it's hardly perfect. Not that much gameplay, and most choices are purely cosmetic (no lasting consequnces). However, they do pretty well at tugging at the heartstrings, even when you can easily predict what will happen.

I am, by the way, strongly opposed to their episodic release schedule, which is why I didn't get this until the entire season was complete (and on sale). It was worth the wait though.
Pager

Post by Pager »

They just released the 5 episodes as one game for xbox 360, although I was waiting for a review from someone I know before buying. Thanks for the input Scythe, and thanks to the extra hours I worked this week I might go pick it up next paycheque. :D
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Cryostasis
I'm not a big friend of FPS games, but this one looked different enough that I thought it might be interesting for me. After some hours I have to say that the story is very well written and some of the flashback scenes are very good (as well as the water and ice effects). But because of the stupid monsters and the repetitive surroundings it still is a little boring. Overall not bad, but I think there was potential for something better.

Biggest surprise is that it runs smoothly with my ATI graphics card. I read some very bad things about that.
Pager

Post by Pager »

Turning Point

Bought this for $4. Worth every cent and not a penny more. I had to dumb down the graphics in order to play it, my onboard apparently just does not have the power to drive the high quality graphics. Ah well...Next time I win the lottery maybe I'll invest in a slick new video card. But graphics really aren't everything, so it doesn't matter to me.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Not bad. As far as movie based video games go that is. Very actiony with RPG elements. Not as RPG'y as I'd like (nothing like Third Age), but it still isn't too bad.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Third Age was hilarious. "You gotta make a movie tie-in, but it can't make any references to the books, only to the movies." "Ok, we'll make the player fight the Eye of Sauron in hand to hand combat."

Brilliant stuff.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

VVVVVV
Amazing. So far I died 1257 times in about 4 hours of playtime and I still not feel frustrated, but instead highly entertained.But one thing's for sure: I'm not going to play this in the insane "Don't-Die"-mode.

P.S.: The hardest jump ever:

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I also died about once every 10 seconds, but it was fun. Frustration can be fun, and that's not just because I've been playing quite a lot of Trials Evolution lately.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

So I currently have eight copies of Dota 2 and Valve seems to drop new invites regularly. If anyone here doesn't yet have it, I have copies to spare.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Syndicate
From today's point of view it's hard to understand how this game became such a classic (but you could probably say that about many classics). It's a pathfinding hell and has one of the most stupid AIs I've ever seen in a game. Also one of the early weapons is extremely overpowered, which makes it nearly impossible to fail in the missions once you choose the right strategy. The scenario is great though.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I never understood what people saw in Syndicate, not even back then, but I know that I'm in the minority.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:From today's point of view it's hard to understand
There wasn't "today's point of view" back then, so we all loved Syndicate, no matter why. :wink:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

And as you can see the flaws don't prevent me from playing the game (I'm the dark red one)...
Attachments
Syndicate.jpg
Syndicate.jpg (242.48 KiB) Viewed 26714 times
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Mission completed!

And if you think I can't go more retro, wait for the next RPG I'm going to play... :wink:
Attachments
Mission completed.jpg
Mission completed.jpg (243.68 KiB) Viewed 26706 times
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Kudos if you play the first Might and Magic. More kudos if you complete it.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

That's the plan. Looking forward to draw my own maps... :)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Look forward to look up the spells in the rulebook. :D
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

You don't think I can keep the numbers for 94 different spells in my mind??? 8)

But before I start with Might & Magic, I will play one or two adventures. I have the strange idea that I should at least have 10 per cent of games in my backlog that I have really completed. Games that need weeks or months to finish (like Might & Magic will probably do) are really bad for that quota.
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

I am currently starting "Never 7" & "Remember 11" (bought these old games online). Lately, I've been into Visual Novel games as they are more meaningful like watching a movie or TV serial except that they are interactive.
The last one recently completed is "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" (spent 80 - 100 hrs playing). It was one of the popular games but the disappointment came after finding out that the story needed to continue into another sequel. The pre-sequel, "Zero Escape: 9 hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors" had a more complete ending. After playing the popular game "Ever 17"previously, I have now decided to try the prequel and sequel of it.