What games are you playing currently

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

I'm with you on economy...boooo.
Anyways, I had the similar dilemma, I wanted a bunch of things, but can only afford one...so I opted for Fallout 3...since it came with a Nuke-cols bottle opener...

But this is what I'm playing:

The Suffering (PC)
Fallout 3
GTA IV (although I've taken a break from this one)

...and for those who haven't played Fallout 3 yet, it is fantastic! I would say that I am defnitely glad I chose to buy that one.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Yep, Fallout 3 for the past 3 days, and is quite entertaining.

Dead Space was also quite an experience, along the lines of Bioshock.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

How about Saints Row II? Any news on how good that is?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

My new SR2 avatar says, "Fookin' gangbangin' extreme good."
Last edited by Scythe on Sun Nov 02, 2008 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Pager wrote: The Suffering (PC)
Can you open a freeware thread for this one? It doesn't work on my computer, so I can't tell anything about it or take screenshots of the game...
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: What games are you playing currently

Post by Zyx »

Reviving an old thread here, but I just finished the single-player campaign of Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II. This was the first RTS for me in a long time, and I was really pleasantly surprised. I've always hated a bit the resource management / base building aspect of many RTSs, and have fond memories of games like Special Forces and XCOM so this game was almost a perfect fit. The soundtrack and voice acting were also pretty good.

Now that I've got a Mac capable of running pretty much anything else except Crysis: Warhead in Windows 7 and Steam is available for Mac, I have pretty long backlog of games waiting for me. (Yes, I'm this guy.)

It didn't help that Portal is for a brief time free on Steam to celebrate the service's and game's Mac launch. Been playing that now for the first time. (If there are others who haven't played it (which I doubt), why not get it, the free offer is good until 24th)
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am that guy too more or less, so dont feel bad.

Currently I fell over a indie game called Westward IV. This seems like a somewhat boring game at first eyesight, but the ressource-gathring and roleplaying aspect of this is actually quite ok. I am not saying this is the GAME OF THE YEAR or anything, just a pretty good timewaster that I can't seem to get my mind off of.

--Mark Twain
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Most of my gaming is on my beloved PS3 :)
At the moment I'm playing the two extra episodes that have been released for GTA IV: The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony... They're really great! Besides that I'm also playing Assassin's Creed II, which I'm almost done with.. Then I've bought InFamous, which I haven't played yet, but I am looking forward to it! :D
I just haven't got the time to play all these games as much as I'd like to :(
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

So you are also running a backlog of games that should be played when time is found. :) I wonder if that might be true for all gamers, just like most people have a lot of movies they want to see but haven't had time for yet.

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote:So you are also running a backlog of games that should be played when time is found. :) I wonder if that might be true for all gamers, just like most people have a lot of movies they want to see but haven't had time for yet.
Well, movies only take 2-3 hours... compare that to for example my Dawn of War 2 playthrough that took about 24 hours (and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory took 13 hours). Also, you need to stay somewhat more focused when playing games...

I think the games backlog is true for any gamer that has a significant other and a full-time job. I'm pretty sure I won't be playing through GTA IV this year... no question about the expansion packs.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I'm playing neverwinter nights at the moment. That is a long game.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am halfway through Westward IV, so I believe I will be back to playing freeware games within a week. And then I hopefully have some time to really dig deep into a couple of titles I have been waiting to play. Exit Fate for example. :)

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Okay, finished Portal. While many would here make a joke about a cake, I was a bit surprised to see that Mike Patton did a certain voice that, in retrospect, was quite clearly him. Searching with the web for explanation, I came out even more puzzled when I learned that he also did the zombie voices on Left 4 Dead.

Anyway, the expansion pack for Dawn of War 2, Chaos Rising, was on 50% sale on Steam, so another 24 hours of orc-slaying (and chaos marine slaying) are waiting for me.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I've been playing Final Fantasy XIII in short bursts, I'm about 3.5 hours into it. Seems okay right now, but FF series sure has come a long way. Not a big fan of the battle sequences, for those who haven't played, there's a lot going on, and the game introduces new concepts the further you get. But right now I only really have control over the main character's actions, and others fight automatically, depending on their job. I think it is lame. I was more partial to micromanaging my squad instead of letting the AI "do its thing". The combat in FFXII was difficult to manage your team at first, but once I got screwed over by the AI, I found it relatively easy. But in this case there is no option to switch. And, you know in FF games when you usually find someone you think has the best attacks you want them to be in the party or leading? Well, being in control of one person just takes that feeling away...bring back Edgar and the Chainsaw, dammit!

Was playing Brutal Legend for a bit, found that very entertaining, but too short IMHO. Story was amazingly comical and original (at least to me anyways), but Tim Schafer is the man, there's no denying that.

Trying to get around to playing 1213, but I played it for a bit and got frustrated, so I stopped myself before I gave it a bad rating for being the most frustrating game since Ninja Gaiden. Was never a big Prince of Persia fan, so it might take me a bit before I feel like being fair to this one...
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I am trying to complete The Spirit Engine again. I got stuck at the company building last time i got far in it.
Something i found out that was very helpful to know, is where your savegames are kept. Normally you would find them in the user folder or the program folder but the savedata for The Spirit Engine is kept in the windows folder as "savename.INI", "w9xabc.INI" and "savegame.INI". Good to know if you wan't to backup your game.
JakeSnipper
Probably a spambot

Post by JakeSnipper »

Well I"m currently Battle Realm (WOTF). It is offline game and I already Finished the first part of it.
I'm on the second part of it. I also play Ragnarok offline and Dota Warcraft.
Pager

Post by Pager »

Played Mafia 2 for a while. Collected all the Playboy centerfolds, then stopped playing.

Now I have gone back to Final Fantasy XIII. Still as bad as I remember it being. Egads. I understand they are trying to attract new fans to the FF series, but yuck! Here's FFXIII in a nutshell, watch a video, move your character along a corridor, fight some enemies but not in old FF fashion, in this new engine where you control the actions of one person and can only control the job of the second or third, watch another long movie...and repeat...snore...I'm told it gets better, but I have yet to see it.

I've also reloaded Crusader No Remorse on an old laptop running DOS 6.22. I play that every now and then. I've been trying to find my copy of Full Throttle, but have been unable to.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

OK, so I completed GTA IV, didn't start with the DOW2 expansion and I'm now trying to play Mass Effect.

Mass Effect is probably the first RPG that I've actually played. Yeah, I missed out on all Baldur's Gates and friends. I wasn't that interested in RPGs and the only other RPG I have played, Fallout, I just played through to "complete" it didn't care about the story. Mass Effect has however somehow hold my interest so that I find myself actually caring about the characters and the sidequests. Odd.

Of course, the challenge for someone with little time is that Mass Effect is long. I have now played for 20 hours or so and I've completed two of the three first "real" missions.

The new DLC for Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 is also out, so I'll probably try to find time to play that one as well.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

One of my friends gave me his Mass Effect recently, as he bought it cheap but his compuer wasn't powerful enough to run it, so now I am looking forward to having the time to actually install it and trying it out. 20 hours eh... Gotta get that done before April 1st (baby and all).

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote:One of my friends gave me his Mass Effect recently, as he bought it cheap but his compuer wasn't powerful enough to run it, so now I am looking forward to having the time to actually install it and trying it out. 20 hours eh... Gotta get that done before April 1st (baby and all).
On the other hand, I did put a lot of time into the side missions. I have no idea how much there is still to come. It took me 57 hours to complete GTA IV and I guess this is in the same ballpark.

It's a really atmospheric game, and you're mostly just talking with people or doing non-combat errands. So, it's a space soap opera =)