What games are you playing currently

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: What games are you playing currently

Post by Zyx »

Okay, so I spent an hour going around a planet, looking for a monkey that had a missing data module. I really should concentrate on the story missions more in Mass Effect. :joystick:
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I wonder what the developer feels about you calling his game a soap. :lol:
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
R-Alalia
Probably a spambot

Post by R-Alalia »

Currently i am playing Need for speed world and Super mario ....
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

as an old 8-bit NESretro-gamer I could not help myself and bought the new Castlevania: Lords of Shadows for the PS3.

It's a God-of-War-clone with some riddles and ok concerning controls and graphics. There is no story at all or at least none too exciting. The best about this game are the 'trials'. Every time you finish one of the 46 levels, a trial is unlocked like (beat the boss in 1:30 or kill the boss without healing etc. Some of these are incredibly hard but give you that good old feeling that you actually achieved something.

Years ago, beating a game was hard, today's games are mostly made for casual gamers and the reason I go as often as possible for Platinum trophies is that I find a challenge here, spend the double amoint of time on a game and am sure to discover every piece of it by going for the trophies.

Trophies? Look at my sig. :)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Recently I have tried to play through Half-Life 2. I would guess I'm quite near to the end. Oh, how I wish this game would end soon.

This game would have probably been a cool experience back in 2004, but my trusty computer back then could not run this bastard so I totally skipped it until I found Valve's Orange Box (HL2 + Portal + TF2) for cheap last summer. Portal was still fun.

But this. I just can't… each level is a pain. It's all great and that, but a bit tedious. They must have all been such a novel experiences back in 2004, but the genre has since passed on and streamlined a lot (in both good and bad).

The whole concept of still having the both Episodes left is horrifying. I secretly hope they never release Episode 3 so I don't have to feel guilty about not playing it.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

The episodes are actually quite much better than HL2. But then again I did play them some years ago, and I haven't been playing much else since then (of new commercial titles...).

--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

So, I realize that lately I've been very Drunk and Bitter Jesus, but then I started playing Sims Medieval. Yeah, go ahead, laugh it out, get it out of your system. I'm on my fifth kingdom and having a blast. Just what the Physician ordered.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

*bitting my lip*
Is it any actual good or is it just great timekilling?

I have been digging into some The Guild 2 - Pirates of the European seas myself. And that game is just perfect for timewasting, without having too much (new) to show for it. I actually decided to try out the campaign mode after years of just going straight to sandbox mode (something I would never do with other games).

Having a blast so far, as it seems this has all the stuff I need at the moment. Everything takes an hour to get done, and get ready for, so I can sit down and concentrate on one task, and only one, for an hour, while being disturbed by my personal life a dozen times. This works wonders for me. Cannot seem to gather the concentration to open up a new game just to get interrupted all the time.... So freeware will have to wait.

--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I like what they've done with it. It doesn't have the endless possibilities of the regular Sims, but there are much clearer goals to pursue. Each kingdom gets a number of quest points and you then choose quests with different costs, which you complete in turn. Most quests have a couple of different ways to complete them and take 10-30 minutes. When you run out of quest points you're "done" and can start over with a new kingdom or enter freeplay.

I like it, it's still charming but more focused.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I'm trying to finish Dragon Age: origins right now.

Trying to get through all the games I have owned for a while, but never really played. I bought them because I got them for cheap.
Dragon Age I borrowed from my neighbour. So I have put everything else on hold. But once I get through that I will be playing Grand Theft Auto 4, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Dead Rising, and then Bioshock 1 and then 2...I have made myself a promise that I won't buy anything else until I at least get through that... :D
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Atm i'm playing Terraria, and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. I've completed the prequel, The longest Journey, and i think it's a really good game, with a good story.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Drasir-Vel wrote:Atm i'm playing Terraria, and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. I've completed the prequel, The longest Journey, and i think it's a really good game, with a good story.
I've installed The Longest Journey, but haven't had time to immerse myself yet to it. I did start to play the game a long time ago, but dropped it off at some point.

I've been going through the third season of Sam & Max, The Devil's Playhouse. The second season was a bit of disappointment, because it was basically just more of the same. The third series improves on many fronts, and each episode is totally different and employes a different, episode specific things, like one episode happens with a disjointed timeline where you go forward and backwards in time. The previous series were too much alike, you would need to get something from Bosco, Sybil also has some kind of a problem, there's something in the office and then there's something going on with Stinky in the diner... and each episode would have one or two new scenes. Not so in the third series, where just Stinky's is just available in a couple of the episodes.

Also, I feel that the writing is better and the insanity is more closer to the original comics and the seminal Hit the Road, the first and second season were pretty tame. The biggest problems with the games are what plagues all adventure games, they're pretty close to interactive storytelling with puzzles.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I am playing Catherine, the latest game from Atlus who gave us the amazing Persona RPGs. Catherine is a mature story about relationships, fear of commitment and male/female schisms. Gameplay is a box moving puzzle game where the protagonist climbs a tower to escape his nightmares. Bosses include his overbearing girlfriend, his unborn baby chasing him with haunting cries of "DADDY!" and what not. Different, but interesting. You get more involved in the story than I would have thought, due to some good direction.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I just watched a trailer, and it looks truelly mindblowing. I would play this if it ws out for PC... :)
Oh and I dont have relationsship issues or anything, so I guess I am safe to play this. :D

--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I just completed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, and it was a really good and atmospheric adventure game. Not as long as the prequel.

I am disappointed by the ending though. It left you on a cliffhanger with so many loose threads that didn't get sorted, and it ended in a sort of sad way, as if you lost. That would be fine as long as it was because they would use it as a pointer for the next game, but as far as i've read around, they never got to it.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Chroelle wrote:I just watched a trailer, and it looks truelly mindblowing. I would play this if it ws out for PC... :)
Oh and I dont have relationsship issues or anything, so I guess I am safe to play this. :D
From what I hear, you should never, ever, ever, ever play Catherine while your girlfriend/siginificant other is watching. The relationship questions are evil, unless you're a completely transparent person. In any case, very good game and enough block puzzles to last you a long time even outside of the main game.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

So, playing too many games as always... On

PC: Deus Ex Human Revolution - A worthier successor than the previous one. Lots of hidden goodies, different paths and choices in any given situation. Stealth shooter, stealth hacker, or just FPS? You decide.

PSP: Valkyria Chronicles 2 - I was disappointed when the awesome PS3 strategy game Valkyria Chronicles went to the PSP with the sequel. But since I do own a PSP... it turned out to be a pretty good game. The limitations of the PSP show very badly though.

X360: Resonance of Fate - Absolutely the most inventive RPG of recent years. It's almost too much though, when everything from map exploration to combat system to character growth is so innovative. The only real problems with this game are incomprehensible story and too much grind... which is why I've played it on and off for a couple of years now.

PS3: Mortal Kombat - My secret love is fighting games, and this one delivers. A host of characters, fatalities, babalities, story mode, tower challenge, degenerate online play, broken AI, and a ton of unlockables. Good, bloody fun.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I'm going to tell you what games I'm not playing: The Longest Journey and Mirror's Edge. Because I finally beat them both.

So there.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Mirror's Edge? Isn't that finishable in 3-4 hours?
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Scythe wrote:Mirror's Edge? Isn't that finishable in 3-4 hours?
Probably, if you don't become frustrated every half an hour and decide to just play the time trials or entirely other games instead. I bought Mirror's Edge in November 2009.