What games are you playing currently

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: What games are you playing currently

Post by Scythe »

Well, the idea of a first person platformer was kinda cool, even if it wasn't perfectly realized. If they'd taken out the lame combat, and put in some more platforming puzzles, it would have been better. I just seem to remember finishing it in 2 regular days of work. :)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Scythe wrote:Well, the idea of a first person platformer was kinda cool, even if it wasn't perfectly realized. If they'd taken out the lame combat, and put in some more platforming puzzles, it would have been better. I just seem to remember finishing it in 2 regular days of work. :)
Well, that's why I spent probably more time with the time trials =) The combat was ok, and I think it was a nice point that the guns are available, but you're probably better off without them. It's not many games where you really feel that you're being chased and outnumbered.

But yeah, they game could have been improved in many ways, but it would have ended up being Portal 2 in that case.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I'm playing Champions Online and Open Sonic at the moment. Champions online is a really fun mmorpg. Open Sonic is also pretty good, i mean i didn't play the original Sonic so i can't compare, but i quite like it. Nothing special, just get as far as you can, die, repeat. I would like for it to have an option to turn off the sound though.

Edit: actually you can choose levels in the game, i just missed that apparently.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

What happened to Minecraft? I heard that there was a huge update coming real soon? =)
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I have played a lot of Minecraft before, but i've sort of stopped playing it for the time being until it's been changed a bit or enough time have passed.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I'm playing "Hitman: Contracts". I like that you can really play it as a stealth game and get the best results if you don't fire a single shot from your weapons. On the other hand I dislike that the single missions are not connected at all and that there is absolutely no story. The developers even recycled some missions from the first two games of the series. Not that bad for me as it is the first "Hitman" game I play and I didn't pay much money for it, but probably pretty annoying if you paid the full price.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I finished Valkyria Chronicles II, but... in true Japanese fashion the game only really starts when you've finished it. Now you get the super hard missions and the epic grind for resources, money and weapon plans. Lots to do!
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:I'm playing "Hitman: Contracts". I like that you can really play it as a stealth game and get the best results if you don't fire a single shot from your weapons.
I'm terribly worried that this changes in the upcoming Hitman: Absolution. The Hitman series is basically a puzzle game, but I fear they have gone all Splinter Cell: Conviction on it. The whole point is to go all Silent Assasin; max one bullet, one kill per level. It's a bit silly you get access to better guns that way, which you're not using anyway.
On the other hand I dislike that the single missions are not connected at all and that there is absolutely no story. The developers even recycled some missions from the first two games of the series. Not that bad for me as it is the first "Hitman" game I play and I didn't pay much money for it, but probably pretty annoying if you paid the full price.
The first game is really dated and really player unfriendly (the reason why the levels are recycled in later games), but the second one is playable even today. Both Splinter Cell and Hitman are in my favourite game series. I agree a bit with the lack of story, but on the other hand, it allowed the game to jump from an exotic location to another. The sequel, Blood Money, also is told as flashbacks and is pretty much more of the same. Which, of course, isn't a bad thing =)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

PC: I intended to just try out Avadon: The Black Fortress, but ended up playing it all day... It's an RPG with production values that seem better suited for freeware, but isn't.

Re: Hitman. I never returned to the series after the first game, it was such a pain in the ass...
Pager

Post by Pager »

Scythe wrote:Re: Hitman. I never returned to the series after the first game, it was such a pain in the ass...
I hated the first one, but played the second one all the way through. That was the last one for me.

I am currently playing through everything and anything I have on xbox 360. Ever since my xbox blew up, I have been trying to get through all the games I own. Actively playing Bioshock 2, and Dead Rising.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Pager wrote:I am currently playing through everything and anything I have on xbox 360. Ever since my xbox blew up, I have been trying to get through all the games I own. Actively playing Bioshock 2, and Dead Rising.
I sat down and patched every single X360 game in my collection. That took all evening, since I had to check out my latest save on half of them. I counted, and there's a total of 8 games I haven't finished. Mostly RPGs and the stray Grand Theft Auto 4....
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

GTA 4 never got a hold of me either, so I never finished it -which is totally unlike me and GTA-series. They normally get finished, relayed, then replayed, and then just totally sandboxed when I have everything I can get. I wonder what was so wrong with GTA4 that I enver actually got around to feeling too much for it. Maybe the lead char, or maybe the story, or perhaps the huge distances between missions, and the lack of real excitement in the game. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

PC: Now playing The Last Remnant. I used to play this, the last great Square Enix RPG on the X360. That is, until I found out that I'd destroyed my characters through misuse of the weird leveling system, and that I'd missed an essential side quest. Now I finally found out that the game has been out on PC for a good, long while as well, with sharper textures, lots of rebalancing and superior load times. Back into the fray! This game humbles the massive Final Fantasy XII in sheer amounts of hard to get to content, and chances are I'll be lost in this for a long while to come.
Pager

Post by Pager »

Chroelle wrote:GTA 4 never got a hold of me either, so I never finished it -which is totally unlike me and GTA-series. They normally get finished, relayed, then replayed, and then just totally sandboxed when I have everything I can get. I wonder what was so wrong with GTA4 that I enver actually got around to feeling too much for it. Maybe the lead char, or maybe the story, or perhaps the huge distances between missions, and the lack of real excitement in the game. :)
I got most of the way through GTA4 and found something better to play...Dragon Age Origins I think...but I got kind of tired of this...
Playing through Tim Schafer's Brutal Legend right now. I really liked this game, although not a lot of people did. There are some things that are a pain, and it does get repetitive after a while, but I find I play it longer than GTA.

Been thinking about buying a new game, but don't know which one...I'm thinking either LA Noire, Dead Island or RAGE just came out, but I have yet to read a review to give me a good indication of what RAGE is all about. ie. It says it is a shooter with RPG-Elements...but what the heck does that mean? Fallout-like? Or Doom but made by Bethesda. meh.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I'm thinking LA Noire will give you the best experience of those three, but it's not necessarily a game that will last you all that long. RAGE is Borderlands/Fallout 3-like.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I was thinking the same thing.
Pager

Post by Pager »

Ok, I know I said I would never play Command and Conquer 3 ever again after the last time I owned it and the Ethiopia level drove me up the wall...but...EA sent me a 25% off code for their online store for my birthday.

So...I bought C&C 3 and Red Alert 3.

Red Alert 3 because I have been looking everywhere for it...I had it for xbox 360, but the controls were terrible. Strategy games were definitely not made for consoles...something just doesn't beat the precision controls of the mouse...C&C 3, because well...it has been a few years and I would like to say I finished it...or that it did not get the better of me. :lol:
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

PS3: I have just started on the single most girly game I have ever played. Yeah, it's an RPG, but an RPG featuring a girl who goes out with her girly friends to beat up girly looking monsters, makes girly dresses, cooks girly alchemical pies, and blushes over girly looking boys. I have never touched anything so saccharine in my life. That's not to say I'm not having any fun, but it's girly fun! Oh, and the game is Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

X360: Just installed Batman: Arkham City. I hear it's an improvement over Arkham Asylum, which was just plain awesome, so I look very much forward to starting this tonight.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I heard the same thing.

I'm playing Fable 2 on xbox 360. Thinking about getting the DLC for it...