What games are you playing currently

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: What games are you playing currently

Post by Scythe »

ME3 is certainly playable, but dat ending.............. Omega isn't out yet, is it?
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Scythe wrote:ME3 is certainly playable, but dat ending.............. Omega isn't out yet, is it?
Nope, next week.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pager

Post by Pager »

The ending storywise wasn't terrible if you weren't expecting it to be epic. I read reviews first, and was expecting it to be absolutely pitiful...I was surprised when it wasn't.
Although our local store was selling it $30 cheaper than everyone else when it first came out so for $30 I didn't care. I'm assuming it was $30 for the gameplya and $30 for the ending thus it was justified.

I'm playing Red Dead Redemption now. I was playing Fable the Journey, but it isn't easy playing Kinect games while riding an exercise bike, so I switched to RDR.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

It was pretty much an out of left field deus ex machina ending where none of your choices throughout the game(s) mattered. Thankfully most of ME3 was better than that.

RDR bored me to tears for some reason. I think it was the horse that controlled even worse than cars in GTA4.

Kinect needs to eat shit and die already. Worst thing to happen this console gen is motion controls. IMHO.
Pager

Post by Pager »

Worst thing to happen to any consoles are motion controls. They've been trying it for years and never getting it right. You ever use the power pad from Nintendo? ugh, I went to a birthday party where they centered the activities around that...needless to say I never won any prizes.

You know what horse had even worse controls than RDR? Two Worlds. I recall being halfway up a mountain when I finally was able to dismount, then never rode another horse again while playing that game. I have the same problem though with RDR that I have had with every single GTA game ever made, I can't drive and shoot worth crap.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I have blocked out the presence of horses in Two Worlds completely, so I probably agree.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Back to the Future - The Game
As an adventure game, this one really completely fails. I'm in the middle of episode three by now and there haven't been a single puzzle (at least none that would be worth calling by that name). All you do is walk around, talk to people and click with items on hotspots. You can't even combine inventory items with each other. That is so ridiculously easy that I really wonder why they have a built-in hint system. You have to be braindead to need hints in this game.
So why do I have still fun and enjoy playing? Because as an interactive movie and as a great hommage to the original movie series it works pretty well. They really put some effort in striking the right note, so it really feels like "Back to the Future". There are many well-known faces, the humuor is similar, there are lots of little references and hints to the movie and also the voice acting (including Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown) is great.

So if you want and adventure, you shouldn't play this. If you want some nostalgic feelings and bring some childhood memories back, this one is quite ok.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I am playing Long Live the Queen, a fiendish game that looks like you shouldn't be playing it if you're over the age of 12. Appearances can be deceiving. In a surprisingly simple setup, you train skills, meet challenges and make choices that more often than not lead to your horrible demise. As the young princess you will face civil war, slighted nobles, assassination plots, foreign invasions, monsters and maybe your own twisted family. Survive the rest of the year and you'll be crowned queen. But even then, what will history have to say about you?

So far, I've managed to survive the game in two very different ways, being a horrible despot keeping the populace under control with my evil magics, or a beloved general/admiral who banished all magic from the realm. Along the way I've died and died and died some more. And it was fun! :rip: :muahaha:
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I love this game. So many cool ways to die.

Also, this alone is worth the price of admission:
"Even within your castle it's impossible to avoid the whispers. The Mad Queen. The Bloodthirsty Queen. The Cursed Queen.
Your mother, your father, your aunt and uncle, your cousins... all dead. Even an illiterate peasant can read that omen.
The only family you have left now is your father's brother Armand, the Duke of Mazomba, and like many other nobles, he doesn't appear to be eager to speak with you right now."
Attachments
Hurts.jpg
Hurts.jpg (58.02 KiB) Viewed 16519 times
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The picture you posted would make a pretty neat avatar.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Each of the 13 unique forms of death has a neat chibi picture like that. It's part of the charm. And I guess I just might use that after the Christmas madness is over.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood

A stealth based RTS game, similar to games as "Commandos" or "Desperados". I have to say that I really like the "Robin Hood"-setting much more than the World-War-II scenario of "Commandos". Game is a little unbalanced though when it comes to difficulty. Some missions are quite easy and can be done in minutes while others are extremely hard and kept me occupied for hours.
I played this game once before, about ten years ago. Seems I had a lot of freetime back then as I remember that I played it without to save within the missions. Can't imagine to do that today as I would probably never see the end.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I ploughed through Gemini Rue and Blackwell Deception, both by Wadjet Eye games.

Blackwell Deception is the fourth game and the only deception in the game is that it pretends it's telling a story. The first trilogy hinted to the ghost sidekick's backstory and this one decides to reveal it to be really incomprehensible and trivial. Not only that, the story does not tie itself up but decides to blow things up by introducing yet more vague conspiracies and stuff. The game also decides to randomly reference to persons in previous games in otherwise totally irrelevant feature. The story's coincidences as to relationships between characters is a bit of a stretch, but on the other hand it keeps the amount of characters and places small enough, so it's excusable.

The one good thing about the series is that it has settled a very streamlined interface. There are few puzzles, but that's nothing new in this series. The graphical style has varied in the games, and here the character animations were not really the best in series.

The story is a mess, though, and I'm afraid the writer has decided that there is a bigger story to tell. Instead of intrigue, the only question for me was "what the f***?".

Gemini Rue actually had an interesting story, but it has serious pacing issues which are not helped by the user interface from hell. It also tries to freshen up by having dedicated control schemes for shooting and moving boxes around, but I think the game would have been better off without them.

Most of this can be forgiven by the redeeming third act, but the only way for anyone sane to get there is by using a walkthrough. There is very little exposition, part of which is quite intentional because the central theme in the game is mind-wiping. However, many things (wars, organizations, purpose of certain places) are mentioned just once and then assumed to be common knowledge.

Unfortunately both games decided to use some of the worst tropes of adventure games, which leads me to believe that some people actually enjoy the frustrating mechanics. Gemini Rue has some great qualities in that it did somewhat remind of The Dig and Beneath a Steel Sky... however mostly in theme and nowhere near the execution. But I really want to like Blackwell series, but if it's now about some shadowy organizations, that have not been hinted at all at previosly, just coming up out of nowhere (and yet have existed for centuries) and the motivations of these organizations are totally vague... well, that stuff would have been better left for the new Broken Sword, they are experts at this stuff.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I played Gemini Rue all the way through and I really dislike the game. It's mood-driven, the worst that can happen to point'n'click adventure game. The puzzles are easy and it ends rather quickly. If you want entertaining game by Wadjet Eye you should try The Shivah, first commercial game by Dave Gilbert - it's not a perfect game and amateurish in parts (limited engine - AGS, minimalist backgrounds), but one can't deny that he tried to do something really deep and interesting.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I guess it's the mood aspect that reminded me of The Dig. However, the most common mood was frustrated for me.

Anyway, now I'm playing The Journey Down. I love the hand-painted backgrounds and the art style in general, but oh-god-for-f***-sake why are the characters pre-rendered 3D from the 90s? Also, so far the game seems to suffer from the premature puzzle solving syndrome where I'm picking up items before I know why.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Okay, well, now that game was a disappointment. The Journey Down: Chapter One would be better called The Journey Down: Prologue as the whole game revolves around getting a plane to take off. The main problem with this is that especially at the end the puzzles get very contrived and the locations quite detached.

There is a location that's only function is so that the character realizes that he has to go elsewhere. There are puzzles inside puzzles inside puzzles so that finding a new propeller isn't simple because once you get it, you break it so you have to fix it and so on... Also, let's not forget that it's your character's brother that's supposed to be the effing mechanic here so why are you running around finding strange ways to fix various stuff? Has anything in the history of world ever been fixed by having a train run over it?

Oh well.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Sounds contrived all around.

Oh, and CWF is running EXTREMELY slow for me today.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I feel for you Zyx...I bought a game few years back that I thought was awesome until I finished it in a weekend, it had nice graphics...but as I got into it I found out the same thing about it, and then it got really weird and turned out to be a prologue to something that was probably never going to get made...

Reading into it now I found out it was released by Bethesda...I'm sure glad their forsight into the gaming market got better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Critical

By the way, I started playing Space Siege a few days ago. The space version of Dungeon Siege essentially. This game is good for a hoot...but I liked DS better, something about having multiple characters that you can change up your armor weaponry you name it...here you get your character and a robot. Also the environment doesn't change much...would have been better if the starship perhaps crashed on some distant planet somewhere, but the setting is always very metallic and the outside is just starry...nothing much to see here (not to say that would be boring, as I'm sure in real life I'd be plastered to the window looking at the stars, but I really ain't there so there is no magic happening)...I had to dumb down the graphics to make it run at a reasonable chopiness.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Continuing on the theme of games about memories, next up was To The Moon, an adventure game made on RPG Maker that made some waves when it was released. Not much of a game than an interactive story, but the story was pretty good. The game will be one in a series, but I'm not really sold on that idea. As a one-off, it was a great story, but it'll be difficult to make the second game keep me interested...
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I have it, but have yet to get around to playing it.