Mass Effect

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: Mass Effect

Post by Scythe »

What, no auto-saves on the PC??
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Yes but they come far apart... :) (At least it seems...)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pager

Post by Pager »

Oh man, every time I play I forget about that colosus battle with the geth that stick to the walls and do the same thing...usually I have to reconfigure all my weapons and armor after loading too...There is also a battle on the frozen world where it is the same situation...long cutscene, and death in seconds...reload, long cutscene, death in seconds...wash and repeat...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I'm a weak man and downloaded and played through the demo of Mass Effect 3. There combat etc. seemed to be almost identical to Mass Effect 2. Well, there was one new thing, Shepard can jump over gaps.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I had quite a laugh when I realised in ME 1 that the reason I couldnøt find a jump-button was because my openminded, openended, choose you own path highend game hero, actually was not able to lift as much as an inch off the floor unless he threw himself of a cliff - which I also dont see is possible... :)
So if he needs to lift himself off the ground, then he needs a starship. :)

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Oh, Shepard can't jump either in ME2 or ME3... unless it's over cover or a specially placed gap. It's not like in first person shooters and I guess the reason is that people don't start to bunnyjump in battles.

Also, you're missing out a lot by choosing a male Shepard. Wait, actually, you're not. It was I who missed all Miranda action in ME2. :sorry:
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pager

Post by Pager »

Finished ME1 again last night...played straight for almost 6 hours yesterday...I will be the first to admit, methinks, I miss the Mako...I even put the monument next to the MAKO in ME2 and wept a little tear for it...I used to like driving it to the top of mountains and dropping it off cliffs on the other side then having to repair once I got to the bottom because the wheels were broken (which confuses me, because it can be dropped from the atmosphere by the Normandy, but can not take a simple cliff dive without breaking, continuity rocks!), or sometimes how it the middle of battle, you're sitting on a light incline so the big gun can't hit anything...or like how the camera gets spun around and you can't move in reverse because it just sits there with the wheels spinning doing nothing at all, or sometimes when you're fighting a thresher maw and it appears below you and kills you instantly...wait a second...I hated all those things! Burn in ice planet hell, MAKO! I'm moving the monument somewhere better suited...like the toilet!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I cant help but wonder if I am simply dragging the game along. How much time would you say it took you to stroll over ME1? Because I ahve spent a lot of hours so far, but I also tend to stray from the cleared path and see what is on the other side of a mountain and such. I also try to go for 100 completion, but I screwed that up when I took down the plant-thingy without having a techy enough guy with me, and now I cannot go back to th complex to find that ammo-consultant-something guys OCD or whatever from his desk or whatever... As you can see I was nt that into that task to begin with, but I just thought I would run through the building again after completion with some techy crew, because there was next to nothing I could actually open with the crew I brought...

--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

The first time I played ME1 I literally covered every square inch of every planet. Yes, that takes a very long time. This is also why you learn to hate the MAKO with a vengeance, when you try reaching that one elusive spot on top of a mountain that you just KNOW will have that resource you want...

As for tech in ME1 I always played a tech character myself so I wouldn't miss out on all that stuff.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am painfully aware that there was more options for me to explore when I made my char, but now it seems I am stuck with what I got, which is a more or less average joe combat...

--Mark Twain
Pager

Post by Pager »

This last time I played I spent over 22hours total...I think I was about 200 exp points from a level 50 character, which kind of made me upset because I didn't get that acheivement. And I say, drive all over the place when you play, and explore everything! Really, the Mako is only fun when it doesn't count...I found in some missions where you had to use the Mako, it became super glitchy. And was always more of a henderance than a help.

I find I enjoyed the whole searching aspect of ME1, there was so much stuff to interact with and I just found it flowed much better...it was a little more imersive to me, so enjoy it. I find ME2 to be jumpy...like it goes from one action sequence to the next and there is nothing to search for...It is pretty sure, but I always find it a little lacking in the imersion side of things...anyone played ME3 yet? I really want to know how it fairs compared to the others (and what is up with the Kinect compatibility?)...I haven't read a review yet that has made me want to rush out and buy it (not saying I'm not going to buy it, because I am, I'm just not in a rush).
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I'm almost finished with my first game of ME3, Paragon style. Where to start? The more time you've invested in ME1+2, the more you'll get from ME3. Sometimes it's just a small cameo, sometimes it's a map+quest. It's not a story that blows you out of the water (it's basically the search for the magical McGuffin), but there are some poignant moments and some ooh ahh flash.

I'm most impressed with how it picks up so many pieces from the first two games and makes good on them. Also, the more DLC you bought for ME2, the more stuff you get in ME3. I'm least impressed with the fact that you can't get the "best" ending without playing the multi-player game. Oh, and forget about the Kinect stuff. It's just a gimmick that lets you shout commands to your team mates. Like, "Liara, Singularity!" Which I'm sure is hilarious, but hardly necessary. It's somewhat telling that this only works with Kinect and not with a regular microphone.

At least there's no longer any seriously annoying time sink search game (unless you count the MP), searching systems and planets is simple enough, though they put in a very lame time constraint cat and mouse game that is so easily ignored.

Also, a serious ripoff that they withheld an important team member for day 1 DLC. We're not talking Zaeed or Kasumi style content here, this guy is a fully integrated team member. He should not have been stripped from the game. But, well, it's already caused an epic shitstorm.

Whatever you can nitpick at though, the game is still impressive, visually and content wise. It's not sloppy writing like Dragon Age 2 was. It's already made me seriosuly wonder how different it will be on my Renegade character, making me really want to start over even before I've finished my first game.

I gotta say it seems to wrap up the Shepard series nicely. I've heard it said though, that the endings are really, really, really, really, really BAD! Guess we'll see after I've pumped my score through MP...
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Scythe wrote:I'm least impressed with the fact that you can't get the "best" ending without playing the multi-player game.
[...]
Guess we'll see after I've pumped my score through MP...
I'm going to save you some time and quote BioWare and link you to their post.
BioWare wrote:It is important to note that the system is entirely optional and just another way players can have control over your game experience – it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone.
If you grinded the side quests you should be good to go.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

That's a well known lie, Zyx. It may be possible to achieve the best ending through single player, but only if you know how to make each choice in the absolute optimal manner throughout all 3 games. That includes the perfect mix of Paragon/Renegade choices every single time and also collecting several hundred thousand excess resources in ME2 before starting ME3.

Add that to their second great lie, that the DLC character was "not ready" and "not on disc" and it's hard to trust anything these guys say.

However, part of what he says is true. You can max your EMS bar through single player. I've done that. However, that is not enough to get the absolutely "best" ending. I've done the research.

Anyway, I should have enough MP goodies now to have sufficient EMS and shouldn't need to touch it again hopefully.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Hmm... I couldn't care less about the whole DLC thing. It sucks, but in my opinion most gamers feel very self-entitled. Whether something was on disc or not is irrelevant in my opinion, but it truly sucks if something that's essential to the game is actually a DLC.

There's so much badwill against EA, Origin and BioWare these days and apparently towards ME3 and the DLC and ending things that I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt to BioWare until all the anti-hype dies down. BioWare's DLC policy has always sucked and I understand that day 1 DLC is mostly an anti-pirate measure, but neither is an excuse to treat the fans poorly. I also believe the MP was added only because some idiots thought that MP is essential to games these days (Call of Duty, Splinter Cell, Assasin's Creed...) and I'm glad Skyrim could demonstrate that this truly isn't the case.

I'm going to be a bit pissed if it truly is that you have to play multiplayer in order to finish the game "properly". Well, I'm not going to get the game anyway until the prices go down because I'm not paying 60 euros to pay another 40 euros later on in DLC.

I just completed the second book and I'm now quite sure that Mass Effect is actually Lord of the Ri... Reapers. Everyone's looking to tap the power of the Reapers (Saren, Quarians, Cerberus) and there's a fellowship trying to destory them. Saren is Smeagol and the Illusive Man is Sauron. Whether it's Shepard or Garrus that's Aragorn is debatable.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Well, you can get the best ending without going MP. However, a certain integral character will not survive, and a small extra scene will not play, unless you play some MP. It's possible that with future DLC it might be different, but as it stands now, it can't be done.

As for the whole DLC debacle, I wouldn't care either, except that they outright lied about it. It might not sound good that they pulled content that was already made just to sell it as DLC, but it sounds even worse when they said that they didn't, and people found out that they actually did. I mean come on, at least tell it liek it is... (Glad I'm not working in marketing)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I'm guessing that the inevitable DLC for ME3 has to be like in ME1 that you have to play it before the game ends, because otherwise it probably doesn't make any sense? Unless there's some silly epilogue DLC. Or all the DLC is for multiplayer.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Don't know yet, but very likely. You get magically teleported back to before the final mission so you're ready to go on your DLC adventures (like you did in ME2).

Oh, and I can confirm, bad endings... sloppy, nonsensical writing, takes deus ex machina to a whole new level of silliness. The "different" endings are mostly just the same ending repainted in different colors. It's almost funny.

So I started my renegade Shep game instead of agonizing over it.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Ok.... Weirdest thing just happened... Ashley killed Wrex in my current game, and now I am not sure I want that to happen - as I like Wrex alot more than Ashley. (I know where I have him - her not so much). She killed him off while I was talking to him on Virmire - because of the whole Genoxide solution dilemma. Can I load the game to just before the dialog or is this it? Does landing on Virmire make sure that Wrex is killed or is it the dialog right up to that point...? Can I even live without having Wrex on my team? Not sure. Anyone have some feedback on this. Have you gone to Virmire and Wrex survived?

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Yes, you should be able to choose the fate of Wrex. I'd say that you can't live the saga without Wrex. ...Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard.