Who will win the console war?

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Parvini
Tycoon

Who will win the console war?

Post by Parvini »

For the first time since the old days of SNES vs. Megadrive, the console market is something of an open market. With Sony seemingly misfiring all around like an American helicopter, Microsoft enjoying steady sales and output, and Nintendo storming back into contention with an audaciously innovative controller, 100% sellout launch sales but facing mounting worries over its lack of releases - who will win this round is anyone's call.

Here is your chance to declare (no polls) your prediction of who will "win" overall - and hopefully, if this thread can evade being wiped for long enough - in 2 or 3 years we'll be able to look back and see who was right and who was left with egg all over their faces.

My own hope is that Nintendo finally reclaims its rightful crown as king of gaming. However, the realist in me already fears the worst. Nintendo still haven't learnt the lessons of the past, the poor 3rd party support that crippled the N64 and GC seems to be rearing its head again. The flow of releases already seems too slow, and by many accounts, the buzz and novelty of a promising start seems to be fading fast. People are putting their Wii's back in their boxes and don't seem to have any urges of getting them out again. Sony are pulling out all the cheap shots to boost its poor sales and price slashes will inevitable follow. However - I forsee these twin forces combining to ensure the quiet and unexpected success of the 360. Microsoft will spread its evil claws even further to achieve hegemony of the gaming market whilst still raking in the billions from us decent PC users.

And this is my prediction: Xbox 360 for the win, because Sony appears to have shot itself in the foot too many times and Nintendo, true to their form of the past 15 years (consider the decline in their position from NES to N64), will fail to capitalize on an early innitiative.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Since I read today that retirement homes buy Nintendo Wiis for the elderly people to play bowling games etc. for some physical exercise, it's hard not to predict Nintendo as winners. :lol: That's a HUGE untapped market right there!

My problem with the Wii is that there still isn't one single game on the console that I'd like to play. Not one. Nor has one been announced yet. If I'm in any way representative of any significant amount of customer base, that's the doom of the console right there.

My thoughts on Sony are currently black, like the darkest hell (as indicated in another thread), but... if Sony manages to land enough exclusives, the PS3 is going to win in the long run - I'm sure of that.

Meanwhile, if the XBox 360 keeps getting more formerly PS3 exclusive titles, Microsoft will be coming out ahead, if not by much, due to its existing customer base, which will only expand while Sony keeps alienating their would-be customers.

Of course, I already bet on the XBox 360, as that's the only next-gen console standing in my home right now, and will be for the foreseeable future.