Nearly Departed

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Nearly Departed

Post by Pater Alf »

This is the coming game of "Pinhead Games", the developers of the "Nick Bounty" adventures and "Brain Hotel" (all downloadable at CWF). Looking at the screenshots the game looks very interesting and well-made and if it's even half as good as the the other adventure of "Pinhead Games" it's definitly worth playing.

"Nearly Departed is a "point and click" adventure similar to classic
LucasArts and Sierra games such as The Curse of Monkey Island or Gabriel Knight. In Nearly Departed you play the part of a zombie who must discover who you are, how you became a zombie, and why." (from the homepage).

Homepage: http://www.johngreenart.com/nearlydeparted/

There's also a demo to download on the site...
Attachments
nd03.jpg
nd03.jpg (27.3 KiB) Viewed 8823 times
nd02.jpg
nd02.jpg (24.84 KiB) Viewed 8823 times
nd01.jpg
nd01.jpg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 8823 times
Last edited by Pater Alf on Sun Mar 08, 2009 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I might just go download that demo :D
I loved everything Pinheadgames came up with so far. Is there a release-guess?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

No, there´s not. That´s the only statement I can find:

"We've been getting alot of letters asking how far along Nearly Departed is coming, so here's the latest update direct from the game's designer, John Green.

"I've been focusing entirely on backgrounds, and I'm probably about 75% done with them. It's hard to gauge since many are in various stages of completion (around half are 100% finished, a quarter are 60% finished, and the last quarter are 30% finished.)

As for animation, only about 10% of that is done. And inventory items are being redone.
I've updated the gallery section of the Nearly Departed website with a couple new backgrounds and some more development art and sketches." (October 2006)

So I think there won´t be a release some time soon :(.

It seems whole activity at "PinheadGames" went down a bit, because Mark Darin is working for "Telltale Games" (Sam & Max; Bone) now. So he doesn´t have much time for his freeware games anymore :(. They even put "Nelly the Wonderdog" on hold.
But I think "Nearly departed will be done, becaus it´s not a project of Mark Darin himself but of John Green.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

It seems there's still much work to do, but John Green is still working on "Nearly Departed" and now you can watch a first trailer on his site (and it looks fantastic)...

http://www.johngreenart.com/nearlydepar ... /index.htm
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

News from 10th November. Game in development, about 70% playable.

Moved, since it definitely will be commercial, there are even shirts with ND to buy for 20 bucks.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
fragglechyck
Probably a spambot

Re: Nearly Departed

Post by fragglechyck »

I was just wondering if there were any updates on this game... it's now 2011 and I haven't been able to find any updates since 2009.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

fragglechyck wrote:I was just wondering if there were any updates on this game... it's now 2011 and I haven't been able to find any updates since 2009.
well, on the official site there's a from last halloween where the developer insist that the game isn't dead. The developer himself is still very much alive, as he has an update on his livejournal from last month so I'm guessing his just busy with other stuff.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Latest statement of the developer (from late July 2011):

"I just want to let people know that I have not abandoned this game. While it's playable, minus sound or music, it's still not complete and has some bugs here and there. I am looking to build a more stable version of it, ans ideally get it on more platforms than just MAC and PC, but there's a lot of work involved and other projects keep taking up time away from this one. But I'm not giving up!"

http://www.johngreenart.com/nearlydepar ... /index.htm
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]