doppelganger

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

doppelganger

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I saw this game on rpgmaker.net, and though the description sounded interesting. Just completed it. It's a short visual novel with a good story, though very short. But it definitely has the atmosphere of a great game.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/4213/
doppelganger, an indie Visual Novel game for RPG Maker VX Ace

They say when you meet her, you'll die soon.

She was just like me, in many ways:
She looked like me, she sounds like me, acts like me.
We like the same things, hate the same things.
Same family issues, same memories, same feelings.

Same name.

Last minute NaGaDeMo submission by Rhyme and Archeia_Nessiah
Made in 4 days-ish (or less)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: doppelganger

Post by eMTe »

I see you're having RPG Maker vibe, Drasir. :D

(for quite a time)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Well, i usually randomly pick a game from a folder i have, listing all the games i'd like to try in the future. Currently there are 332 entries in it, and 64 of those are groups of games, like "The Spirit Engine Series" and so on, so potentially a lot more games in total.

At some point i've been looking through the top rated games on rpgmaker.net, and there were quite a few that sounded interesting, so i added a lot of them. That may be why there's been quite a few rpgmaker games from me recently.

But it's right that i tend to like a lot of rpgmaker games because they often have a more interesting story, and atmosphere. If i could find some good immersive point and click adventure games, that aren't too frustrating on puzzles, i would be all over that too.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

One thing I like about RPG Maker games, is that within all these sprites, sfx and music which are usually added from default set by authors there's a lot of place for story and imagination. So while all games look alike they are at the same time perfect tool for good storytellers. That's why Laxius Power remains to this day one of the best rpgs ever made.
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

The first rpgmaker game i played, and the one that got me into them was actually Aveyond.

The story in it, is that you're a girl that lives in an idyllic village in the mountains. You're then captured and taken to another country as a slave.
You then follow her as she goes through hardship and eventually becomes stronger, and rises from being a slave to a swordsinger. I remember it as being a rather emotional experience when i first played it. It has a great story.
The music in that game also fits the whole atmosphere really well, and is a huge factor for the immersion.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

As I said, try Laxius Power.

It's better than Skyrim.
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I have tried getting started on laxius power several times, but i didn't find it interesting, or something else made me stop playing. Maybe it gets better further into it? I'll add it to my list at least.
I haven't played Skyrim either btw.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I haven't played Skyrim too. But I despise modern games as a rule, so my opinion may appear biased to you (it isn't though, if I wasn't convinced that I am right I wouldn't share my opinion, would I? ;)).

Laxius Power may discourage you, because it is very hard at times. On the other hand it offers fascinating storyline and 100 hours of gameplay plus tons of secrets you won't probably discover anyway.

So much for the offtopic.