Lumen

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

George.J

Lumen

Post by George.J »

Lumen is a platform-puzzle video game where the player assumes control of a girl trapped in a world of nightmare as she tries to make her escape. With the sole help of her camera, she will have to dodge traps, run away from her enemies and use her photographs to change the world that surrounds her.

Like so many other nights that she does not recall, a little girl wakes up in her dreams. She finds herself in a world of nightmare and a mysterious voice tells her to get up and to start walking. A camera is lying at her feet.
Thousand Cranes Studio is formed by six students of the Master's Degree in Video game Development of Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona. Throughout a period of ten months three programmers built a custom engine (C++ and Directx9 powered) from scratch and three artists created all the content featured in the game.
Home: http://www.lumengame.com/

Screens: http://www.lumengame.com/media/

Probably the best looking 3D platformer I've played, it's gorgeous :D
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: Lumen

Post by Pater Alf »

That game really looks impressive. And the idea to use photographs to change the events or environment hasn't been used in games very often (the only other game I can think of is "Snapshot").

Will download it immediately to see if it plays as good as it looks.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I have to say that I'm quite disappointed with the game.

The graphics and animations are very well done and the idea to manipulate your environment using photos is quite good and original, but unfortunately there are several negative points too.
First of all the game is very short. I think you can beat it in 20 minutes if you know what to do. And you will know what to do, because the developers didn't believe in the player's intelligence and so the game tells you exactly what to do the whole time. If you will die that's probably only because of he controlling that doesn't work as smooth as it should.
Also the voice acting is awful (I would prefer completely no voice acting over this one).

Altogether I wouldn't regard Lumen as a complete game, but more as a tech demo or a prototype for a good game in the future.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
George.J

Post by George.J »

Exactly. That's what it is I believe. The game was supposed to show the team's skills, and I believe they are planning to introduce a more fleshed out version. To provide a full fledged game with graphics like this, and innovative gameplay requires not only time but involves a huge cost.