Privateer (Remake)

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Eric
Patron

Privateer (Remake)

Post by Eric »

Despite this game being a remake of the original Privateer (Origin) it stands alone as a game. (If it's not considered suitable then please delete).

Genre: Space combat / Rpg

Creator: Fan made creation

Release Date: 15/07/05

Game Status: Freeware

Download: Here
Attachments
prr.jpg
prr.jpg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 9891 times
pr.jpg
pr.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 9891 times
:balloon::balloon: A proud propieter and advocate of tyranny :balloon::balloon:
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Quite damn nice remake. I of course miss some things from the old version, but all in all, well done remake which also adds some new things :)

Besides a huge positive thing was that Linux installation was as simple as it can get. I just ran the script, and clicked ok. Then I went to installation folder/bin folder and launched the game. Can it get any simpler?

One huge disadvantage there is... This game is just as addictive as the original was (for me). Last night I sat untill 3 AM playing this - now I am tired as hell, and I should be working :D
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Well, it seems that this remake is no longer maintained/developed by anyone, so if technical problems arise, there's little or no help available... Also the newer vegastrike engines do not work with this. So in case anyone is interested, it seems that there's another game spawned from this, Wing commander parallel universe. It started out as a modification for privateer remake, but now it is an independent game, which is actively maintained and developed...
See:
http://pu.wcjunction.com/

I assume GHs could also check this out if they have time, and judge whether we should host this one too ;)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Could you make a seperate thread about it? Then I can try to get it validated soon.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Privateer (Remake)

Post by eMTe »

If you follow this "game homepage" link...

http://www.curlysworldoffreeware.com/games/view/85

...youll eventually find yourself on this site:

http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/

And when youll follow further links youll find yourself here:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

And btw:

http://forum.curlysworldoffreeware.com/ ... php?t=1359

Seems two projects are now one project?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Not exactly. I think "Privateer Remake" became "Privateer Gemini Gold" and "Privateer Parallel Universe".

"Vega Strike" was another game based on the same code. At least that is how I understand it. But maybe I'm totally wrong...

But howsoever, it reminds me that I should play "Privateer" again... :)
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, how can you explain an inactive Privateer Remake site linking to Vega Strike project?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

"Vega Strike" is the main project and still in development. It leads and links to all the other projects and mods.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

As far as i remember it from when i played those games. Privateer Remake, and Privateer Gemini Gold were two different remakes of Wing Commander. Maybe one seperated from the other in the early days due to a conflict of interest. Both are based on the Vega Strike Engine

Privateer Gemini Gold which is still around is the "purist" version trying to make it as faithful to the original as possible, while Privateer Remake used the original game as framework and added content to make it better.

Privateer Remake was phased out and they continued developing it as Privateer Parallel Universe i think.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

It's like different versions of Star Trek... a mess.
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

I think I have Privateer Gemini Gold but I can't figure out the controls. Any help will be accepted.