The Castles of Dr. Creep

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

The Castles of Dr. Creep

Post by Pater Alf »

Not sure if this one qualifies as freeware, but as it is one of my all-time favourite games, I will submit it nonetheless.

"The Castles of Dr. Creep" is a puzzle platform game for the C64, that was developed by Ed Hobbs and published by Brøderbund in 1984. Game is about two nameless characters that were prisoned by the mad scientist Dr. Creep and have to escape from one of his 12 castles. This is extremely hard as many monsters and deadly traps get in your way.
The game is still one of the best puzzle-platform games ever made and in my eyes unbeaten when it comes to level design and two-player co-op mode.

This open source project allows you to play it on several modern platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Nintendo Wii). Unfortunately you still need an image (D64) of the original disk. This doesn't come with the download, so you have either to create one from the original disk yourself or download it from one of various emulation sites (which might be not completely legal).

There's also a level editor that allows you to create your own castles.

Developer: Robert Crossfield

Download: http://creep.sourceforge.net/

Download size: 5.1 MB (Windows)

Year: 2012 / 1984 (original game)

Attachments
Creep1.jpg
Creep2.jpg
Creep3.jpg
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]