Death Rally

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Death Rally

Post by Drasir-Vel »

"In late 1996 this top-down racing game took all by surprise with it's addictive nature and excellent gameplay.

The basic idea behind Death Rally: win races, gather more money, buy upgrades to your vehicle. In between wreck your opponents, shoot your way through bystanders and keep the pedal to the metal!

In 2009, Remedy is proud to announce the free re-release, Death Rally for Windows. The original game, ported to run on modern PCs."

I just stumbled on this when somebody i knew mentioned it. I searched for it it, and it turns out it's released to the public for free. I don't know the game personally. But i got the impression it's a classic.

http://www.remedygames.com/games/deathrally
Attachments
Death_Rally(1).png
Death_Rally(1).png (86.78 KiB) Viewed 9352 times
Death_Rally(2).png
Death_Rally(2).png (62.58 KiB) Viewed 9352 times
Death_Rally(3).png
Death_Rally(3).png (68.11 KiB) Viewed 9352 times
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: Death Rally

Post by Pater Alf »

I don't think I've ever played this, but it looks pretty cool.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Well, that was nice, phpbb3 decided not to post my reply and emptied the form. Fun. Anyway...

What what? This game was the shit back in the days... at least in it's home country. Sure, something called Grand Theft Auto was released a year after, but it didn't match the explosive fun this game had. :soap:

I'm really surprised you guys don't know this one.

To put it in a context, the game everyone played before Death Rally was a true Finnish classic racing game, Slicks'n'slide. It had everything, a metric buttload of levels and a level editor, 4-player same keyboard fun action (very few keyboards were good enough to actually work, so you'd have to figure out what key-combinations worked)... this was the game to see who was the king. Anyway, for a shareware game, the graphics were quite poor and sounds non-existent. Not that anyone cared, because it was so much fun.

So, what Death Rally added was what any teen would love: guns, violence and way better graphics. (There were some little 3D-action going on in the levels, if I remember correctly). There was even some backstory (not that anyone noticed, of course). Remedy has since focused more on storytelling in later games... =)

Sure, no hotseat multiplayer and no custom tracks... but it had guns. And Duke Nukem.

This, my friends, is true classic.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I seem to recall this title, but I need to play it to be sure I am not confusing it with something else...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

Zyx wrote:To put it in a context, the game everyone played before Death Rally was a true Finnish classic racing game, Slicks'n'slide.
Now there's a quality game! Also the finnish cave flying games are legendary.
Segmentation fault
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

SFault wrote:
Zyx wrote:To put it in a context, the game everyone played before Death Rally was a true Finnish classic racing game, Slicks'n'slide.
Now there's a quality game! Also the finnish cave flying games are legendary.
More than legendary, truly epic. Oh, the millions of hours spent in school playing AUTS and others whose names escape me now. The only game that ever came close was Descent.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Finally completed it. It is indeed a very good quality game that can be quite addicting. Reminds me of a game i played once, called Excessive Speed.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Only bad news about this is the fact that we can't host it. They say so in their FAQ. :sorry:
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Death Rally

Post by Pater Alf »

The former commercial top-down perspective racing game "Death Rally" that was developed by Remedy and and published by Apogee in 1996 is now freeware. Grab a car and try to win the race. If you can't do it the normal way, you can still use several weapons like machine guns or mines to blow your opponents from the track. If you earn enough money, you can upgrade your car or buy new ones.

Quite fun!

Developer: Remedy

Download: http://remedygames.com/games/death-rally-2/

Download size: 41.5 MB

Year: 1996

Attachments
DeathRally1.jpg
DeathRally1.jpg (352.45 KiB) Viewed 9504 times
DeathRally2.jpg
DeathRally2.jpg (349.13 KiB) Viewed 9504 times
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Merged these topics since they're for the same game.

Though it seems it did it the wrong way around. PA's post was originally first. Sorry about that. First time i've merged topics.