WitchBlaster

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

earok

WitchBlaster

Post by earok »

First up, apologies for shamelessly promoting my own work in this forum, but I'll make up for it by contributing more to the other posts. Promise :D

WitchBlaster is a game I originally wrote for the 2010 Global Game Jam, which went on to win editor's choice in the April 2010 issue of NZ PC World in a feature on the local GGJ games. The new version of the game is written in the Monkey programming language, and is currently the second highest rated game hosted on Monkey coder.

Play it in HTML5 or Flash. Note that the HTML5 version works best in IE9 (Due to IE9's lightning quick HTML5 implementation) but won't play sound in Firefox (due to Firefox's lack of MP3 support).
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: WitchBlaster

Post by Zyx »

earok wrote:First up, apologies for shamelessly promoting my own work in this forum, but I'll make up for it by contributing more to the other posts. Promise :D
You know what we do with people who shamelessly promote their own work in this forum? Have any idea?

Well, we kinda like them and give them fancy titles. And congratulate them on birthdays. You don't want that, now do you? :evil:
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Game looks pretty cute. Like something you could give to kids and they will have fun with it. :)
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
earok

Post by earok »

Yikes, being wished happy birthday on the Internet sounds pretty embarrasing :P

The game is certainly cute enough for kids - but it'll definitely give most adults a challenge.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Shame on you Earok... oh and when was your birthday again. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

earok wrote:The game is certainly cute enough for kids - but it'll definitely give most adults a challenge.
Oh, I didn't want to say that your game is childish or can't be played by adults. But I think that there are many shooter games that aren't appealing for kids (graphically and theme related). But a colourful game with a little witch looks like something that they will enjoy very much (especially the girls). I like that.

Will download and try "WitchBlaster" as soon as I find the time...
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
earok

Post by earok »

@Chroelle. Heh, my birthday is Jan 14th.. and next birthday I'll be.. 28. Ouch, where's my life going...

@Pater ah, sorry if I sounded offended - I certainly wasn't. Thanks for the feedback, I didn't really design the game with children in mind but now I can definitely see how they might like it. Also, there's no download, game is browser based only.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I played the game and I like the two extra features you can use. Turning invisible is really helpful if there are many enemies shooting at you and creating an image of your character helps you a lot to bring down the boss monsters. But I think the game is a little easy. But maybe it just run a little slow on my computer and so it was quite easy to avoid enemie's fire and bring down all opponents. I'm not absolutely sure about that.

But I fear I have to move the thread to the "Online Gaming" forum, because it isn't downloadable....
earok

Post by earok »

Cheers for the feedback Pater. It can run quite slow depending on system specs / browser / whether you're using flash or HTML5. AFAIK, the optimum setup is the HTML5 one running on IE9. Though I played the native iPad build of it yesterday, and that felt slicker than I've ever seen it running on any browser.

I can compile and publish a native PC build for download if it'll keep it this topic here. Will that do? :D
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Yes, that would be great!
earok

Post by earok »

Here we go - WitchBlaster for PC

Pater, hopefully this will run faster for you.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Unfortunately the download version of the game doesn't run for me. First of all two .dll files were missing (msvcr100 and mscvp100). Now that I installed them both, there's a new error message.
earok

Post by earok »

Ouch, my apologies. I'll see if I can get a new build of the game out in the next few days (The source code is kind of broken as two player is only half implemented). There's been several new releases of Monkey since then so the latest may fix it, otherwise I can ask the Monkey creator about it.
earok

Post by earok »

Apologies for the delay, new build is up.

http://earok.net/games/witchblaster.zip

Asides from being built with a new version of Monkey, it features a two player mode. Please let me know if it still doesn't work.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am a little saddened that I didn't like this more than I did. It was hard, but then the graphics kind of confused me (I did read the posts about this). I was expecting something easier but never got it. The game was unforgivingly hard on me from the get go, and I was crashing and burning (litteraly) right after firing the game up for the first time. I think that was a little harsh. I would like to get into a game before it starts killing me all over the place. I enjoyed the great graphical side of the game, but felt all along that this should be even more pointed at kids and not at adult hardcore gamers. (I know there are girl-gamers out there, but I believe they would feel more or less like I do with this).
I love Earoks other games, but this one was a swing and miss for me. I would love to play it again if the difficulty went down a bit though. (I am trying not to sound winy here.)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain