Popscene

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Popscene

Post by Pater Alf »

A managing simulation in which you have to build your own pop or rock act, record and release albums, play live shows and do everything else rockstars do (including the scandals). Will you be able to become number one of the charts?

As many other managing games this one isn't bad, but can get a little repetitive after a while as there is just a limited number of actions you can perform and you will have to spend some time just waiting or repeating certain things (like rehearse or playing live gigs). But if you like this kind of game, you will probably enjoy "Popscene" as well.

The game was published as a commercial title in 2004 and made freeware (together with a lot of other games by MDickie) in 2009.

Developer: MDickie

Download: http://www.mdickie.com/downloads.htm

Download size: 40.7 MB

Year: 2004

Attachments
Popscene1.jpg
Popscene1.jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
Popscene2.jpg
Popscene2.jpg (47.3 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
Popscene3.jpg
Popscene3.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Re: Popscene

Post by Chroelle »

Sounds like one of those really great games I played as a kid on the Amiga I think...what was the name of that game.... oh yeah:
http://www.classic-pc-games.com/amiga/g ... mster.html
That was good fun!

A remake of that is pretty wanted if you try and search for it on the internet... Hint to any developers out there...:)

Edit: Any particular reason why you are solely writing about Popscene 1? There is a sequal (popscene 2) and a spin-off (popcorn) on his site also...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The only reason is that I went through my folder with files I downloaded months ago and try to submit them from the top to the bottom (and it is quite a long list). I think Popcorn will follow soon.

And "Rockstar ate my hamster" was really fun (in fact I think it was better than "Popscene). I even think I downloaded a remake some time ago, but it was really crappy. Will see if I can find it again.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

All time favorite band:

Maradona
Rick Ghastly
Witless Houston
and Tina Turnoff

A Rockstar Ate My Hamster!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Please do let us know if you find a remake, because I searched luckless yesterday...

Popscene is actually quite ok, and I am thinking of starting a popscene 2 game up to see whats improved...

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I finally found the remake of "Rockstar ate my Hamster". It's called "Rockstar ate my Hedgehog", but it can hardly be found any more (homepage is gone). If you are are really interested, I can upload it to the server. But to be honest, it isn't that good, so you might be disappointed.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Please do no matter. :)

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

This game takes some of what I loved in Rockstar ate my hamster and makes a new game from it, so I can relive the magic that was yesteryear. There are however some major setbacks. First of all there is no telling that a song is good or bad when you listen to it, so you just have to take the word of the stars and hearts. I would have loved some form of musical distortion to show that a number was not that good.
Also I needed some explanation as to what "rehearse playlists function was" it wasn't until Popscene 2 that I realised that. And of course the graphics of the game isn't all that pretty - BUT they work. And before I make you all think I didn't like this game, I have to say that I played Popscene 2 before validating Popscene 1, and that might have been a bad idea, as Popscene 2 repairs a lot of the problems that I had with Popscene 1.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I was bored pretty soon. Too many statistics (like charts) and news I simply clicked away. And there are not so many options you can perform. Seems to be a problem of many managing simulations. A nice thing was that you could put a CD in your player and listen to your own music.
madman80
Probably a spambot

Post by madman80 »

Does anyone have a download for Rockstar Ate My Hedgehog? I have been looking for it what seems like forever.