Alien Deathmatch

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Alien Deathmatch

Post by jayenkai »

First off, a slight disclaimer : The youtube video for this game isn't all it's cracked up to be! Too blurry!
Sorry!

Either way, you can pretty much get the gist of this game from the offset.

Run around a bunch of Alien Breed style arena shooting a bunch of aliens.
Each arena has it's own online scoreboard, and there's even a few Achievement-style icons to motivate you on each level.

Default controls are WASD and Mouse, but you can tweak these to play with all kinds of different control schemes.

The left sidebar shows your multiplier. Pick up the star tokens to upgrade the multiplier, but if the guage hits 0, the multiplier resets to 1.

The right sidebar is your weapon-upgrader. Kill a baddy to pump it up. Stop killing, and it drops back down again.

As it stands, it's a decent mix of graphics and gameplay, and the online scores should keep you playing for a while.

The current release is 0.95, and I'm probably going to be doing a final 1.0 in a few days, with any bug fixes, or what have you.

You can Download Alien Deathmatch, here or here. It's about 3Mb, and contains 20-odd arenas.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I was entertained for some time. Like other game not longer present on site this was carnage galore, and as such it is repititive, but the adrenaline is sure pumping. The repititiveness, and the lack of feeling of going anywhere (the loosing battle feeling) took it down a notch in my oppinion. If there was a sort of development it would have done better. However, this is an adrenalinekicker for all you adrenalinejunkies out there.

The many levels makes this a game I will return to though. Good development here. :D
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Yeah, I was in two minds with this one..
If you look at the level "Original Test Level", you'll see that there's a very distinct area at the top.
It has 1 green wait-to-open bulkhead door, and a "red/yellow" patch area.

That was the exit.
Right at the start, that was meant to be the final little area.
Pick up a key on the level, get to the exit, wait for it to open (defending yourself as you wait) then get to the lift.

So, I got the engine up and running, threw in a pile of weapons, and got the door delay working.
And, as I sat playing it, I realised it really was enough fun as it was.
At that point, the project swayed off course, and I changed my plans a little.

See, if it were to stay as a level-by-level thing, you'd have a start, and an end. You'd have my preset levels, and that'd be that.
A set path, a set list of things to do, and a one time game.

The way it is now, it might be a little repetitive, but I think I ended up with a better repeat-play game.
You can keep coming back, trying to beat the highscores.
And not just your scores, either. The online scoreboard keeps things going even more.

So, the engine was tweaked, and the "Elevators" were changed to super-weapon points, and that's pretty much what it is now.

Having said that, as a future project it would be easy enough to come back to the engine, and un-tweak things to make the game back into a level-by-level type game.
But..
For now, I have other games on my mind!

Glad you liked it anyway ;)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

The right game if you are in a bad mood and just want to shoot down something just to feel better. I liked the little archievements, they really kept me playing just to get them...

"Alien Deatchmatch" is available on CWF now. You can download it from our game info page:

http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... gameid=189
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

LOL! So quick!

I was JUST ABOUT to post here that there's a newer v1.01 available.
(maybe you uploaded 1.01, here, not sure, didn't check.)

I uploaded the new one about an hour ago, so you might want to grab that and post it, instead. (same url)

Just a couple of quick front-end updates, really, but the highscore table url changed, so it's best to use that one.

Also, if you want to keep a vague eye on the online scoreboard you can view the latest updates here.
I figured an "As it updates" approach would be slightly better than a big html file filled with hundreds of scoreboards ;)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Ok, I have uploaded the new file and now we have the latest version (1.01) up and running...

Thank you for telling us about the update, jayenkai!

P.S.: And again one of your games was able to gain a record: Shortest time of a file being available, before it was replaced by a new version ;)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

New Record \o/ yeay \o/
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Some more screenshots:
Attachments
AlienDeathmatch1.jpg
AlienDeathmatch1.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 8662 times
AlienDeathmatch2.jpg
AlienDeathmatch2.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 8662 times
AlienDeathmatch3.jpg
AlienDeathmatch3.jpg (43.73 KiB) Viewed 8662 times
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Talk about being late with the screenshots!
Wowie!

Any reason why you suddenly posted those!?

I bet you want a prize for that, too, don't you!!

;)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Better late than never... ;)

I just posted them, because we decided that there should be at least two or three screenshots in every game thread and I realized that there was just a small one in the first post.

BTW: Are there any new games by you? The last one I played was "Retro Raider" which was quite funny (I like the concept of downgrading poular games)...
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

(Note to self, don't make hidden links so hidden ;) )

There's a couple of extras in the list here
Munky Blocks being the current Work-in-progress.