VDrift

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

VDrift

Post by eMTe »

VDrift is a cross-platform, open source driving simulation made with drift racing in mind. It's powered by the excellent Vamos physics engine. It is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) v2. It is currently available for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Windows (Cygwin).

Game is in the early stages of development but is already very playable. Currently the game features 19 different tracks and 28 car models.

Project admins: joevenzon, thelusiv

http://vdrift.net/

To run the game you might need to download sdl_gfx.dll file:

http://vdrift.net/index.php?topic=windows-releases
Attachments
vd2.jpg
vd2.jpg (29.5 KiB) Viewed 6859 times
vd.jpg
vd.jpg (40.63 KiB) Viewed 6859 times
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I felt a bit cheated after looking at screenies of this game. The game does promise more than it can actually stand up to.
Some graphics looks good, and you really want this game to be good, and then you go running through a truck with no collision at all. Then you smash into the railing just to find out that the button tha makes you brake doesn't work as a reverse gear...So you go looking in the menu for a button that will make the car reverse because you slammed into a corner and cant get out without reversing... I'll spare you the time - There is no option to reverse the car....!
The many different cars, and (on paper) beautiful trakcs is now such a let-down as you really want his to be good - but it isn't. And then you regret spending over an hour downloading this because they have speedlimits on the site...
I truelly hope they keep developing on this.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Re: VDrift

Post by Drasir-Vel »

This game has gotten the gameplay up and running, and there are a few good levels, and some more cars you can drive around in. But there's no sort of career mode, so it's primarily a racing simulator.

There is now a reverse gear in this game, so you should be able to back up to the road again if you crash.

I don't know why, but somehow the game wouldn't register my gamepad, so i had to use the keyboard. And it's quite difficult to control the car without analogue steering, bordering to unplayable, since you shouldn't turn too much to the side, before the car started spinning around.

The way i managed to get it somewhat controllable was by turning speed effect on steering all the way down, and setting the button control delay to off. The car handled more jerky, but i was able to correct much more quickly when it was about to start spinning.

I did some googling and found out how to get it to register. In Windows XP i went to control panel > Gaming devices > Advanced > and set prefered device for use in older programs as the gamepad. It was set to none before.

When driving with a gamepad it's much smoother. It's a good driving simulator.

When driving the Nissan 350Z in the Monaco level, there's the bug that you fall through the world at the start of the game.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I can't play this one. The game won't start and as it gives no error message, I'm not even sure what the exact problem is. Probably my hardware isn't good enough.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Another game, Stunt Rally is based on vdrift's simulation engine, but using the Ogre rendering engine. It has 146 tracks and 19 cars,
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I decided to have a look at this game again to check if i still mean what i wrote earlier. Also because the game has had some updates since then.

It looks like a more polished and complete game now than i remember.
You still have to use an analog controller in order to control it properly. And you have to bind the different axes in the control options before it works.
I played it with my gamepad, with dual analog joysticks. It's great driving thought the tracks. The mechanics feel solid and fluid, and it's fun to play. I have nothing to point out except that some of the cars may have unrealistically low roadgrip at high speeds.

A minor glitch i noticed is when selecting a car in single race, you have to set the number of cars to 1, and then increase the number again after you've selected the car you want to use. Otherwise your car selection won't have any effect, and it will just use the car it used last time.

Some of the cars tend to have very low roadgrip, and easily slide out of control. So when you're slowing down for a turn, you have to be very careful, or you spin out of control. I don't know if that's because they're only meant for drifting or it's just normal. But some cars are easier to control than others.

At high speeds you have to be very careful with how much you're turning and how hard you're braking. That's also why you need analog control, preferably for both steering and braking / acceleration

If you get a feeling of how much you can pull the car without it sliding, you'll be able to play this very well.

As for drifting, it's not as easy as it is in, for example Need For Speed, because VDrift seems to be a more realistic simulation. Some techniques for drifting which i found was to use the rear wheel brakes to prevent the back sliding out too far. To recover from a drift you actually have to steer towards the drifting direction, instead of what you'd instictively do; steer back towards the middle of the road.