Deadly Rooms of Death: Architects' Edition

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Deadly Rooms of Death: Architects' Edition

Post by eMTe »

...it would be named DROD. :)

King Dugan has a problem. He let his guards eat their meals down in the dungeon, and they spread crumbs all over the place, so suddenly his lovely dungeons are swarming with cockroaches, not to mention goblins, serpents, evil eyes, and other nasty things. It's really gotten out of hand. Beethro Budkin, dungeon exterminator extraordinaire and the main protagonist, is called to the castle and, after a short briefing by Dugan, thrown into the dungeon with the doors locked securely after him. With only a Really Big Sword™ at his disposal, it's up to our hero to clear the place, so that the prisoners can receive their torture in a clean and safe environment.

DROD for a long time remains top rated puzzle game at Underdogs. Originally released in 1997 as commercial title it was rereleased by its author, Erik Hermansen, several years later and editor was added. This rerelease is known under name Architect's Edition. And, unlike original and many DROD sequels, it's freeware.

As Beethro you have to navigate HUGE dungeon and eliminate the nasties. Imagine playing turn-based Alien Breed and you can get a feel of DROD. And imagine you also have to think during gameplay. And imagine 350 rooms, grouped in 25 levels...

A must play.

Developer: Caravel Games

Download: http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... gameid=236

Official homepage: http://forum.caravelgames.com/
Attachments
drod.jpg
drod.jpg (92.46 KiB) Viewed 12076 times
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

If not best mix of puzzler and turn-based strategy ever made then certainly one of. Level design is of quality unseeable in other games. Insanely hard in later stages, but in a good way - instead of being frustrating it is addictive - thx to aforementioned levels. Simplistic graphics and sounds are unsignificant when compared to overall gameplay value.

Definitive brainheater.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Minimalistic gameplay at its best. Great game for killing ALOT of time. Difficulty is spot on, and graphics make the point. Sounds is good, and a more extensive sound when chrushing bugs would have been too annoying.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Great game and very hard even in early stages. So far I'm only in level 4, but I spent some hours to get there and was stuck several times by now. The game is very addictive, but I have to say that some rooms are that hard to solve that they are frustrating and not challenging anymore.

Graphics, music and sounds are absolute ok for that kind of game. The only thing I don't like is the control scheme. I know I can reconfigure the control keys, but I haven't found anything I like yet (but that's probably not the fault of the game).
Would be great to have a "Undo last move" button, because sometimes it happens that you just press the wrong key by accident and then you have to start the whole room again...
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Can anybody help me with this room? I spent hours to solve it and I can't come up with any more ideas what to do. Using the mimic I can kill all roaches except the one in the upper right corner. So I guess I have to use the mimic instead to activate the orb. But when I do so, I always get killed by the roaches. I know there is a secret passage, but it leads nowhere. I'm lost... :sos:
Attachments
Drod1.jpg
Drod1.jpg (176.75 KiB) Viewed 11984 times
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

If I'll see the spoiler in here I'll never visit this topic again.

Pms please! 8)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

That's why we need a Spoiler function in here... :oldrant:

So please send me a PM if you know the answer or at least mark it with a big, fat spoiler warning!!!

But to be honest, I was hoping you are the one who could help me, eMTe...
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

No more need for an answer as I found it myself in the Caravel forum. Must admit that I would never have found out myself (not even when I would've tried another thousand times), because I thought in a totally wrong direction.

But now that I know about it, I have a much better understanding of the basic movements in the game...:)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The game has been added to CWF's database. You can download DROD: Architect's Edition from our game info page:

http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... gameid=236
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Re: Deadly Rooms of Death: Architects' Edition

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Hi. So, i just decided to spend some time with this old game. I played it some times before, but never managed to get further than the first couple of levels. But recently i managed to actually complete it. There were a few times i was stuck for some time and decided to look up a video on Youtube where someone had done it.
I think the game is difficult in a fair way. Meaning it's often a mechanic or a way to look at it you have to learn to understand how to complete it, and once you do, it's just a matter of going through the motions. When you happen upon a difficult level, it doesn't mean that all levels past that will be at least that difficult. It's not a ramp up of difficulty, more like a change of themes throughout the levels, with the occasional rooms that boggles your mind.
I was never stuck on a room for too long before i found a solution, and even though some rooms were hard, it never took too long to complete it, once you found out how it had to be done.
One thing i remember as most satisfying about this game is the feeling you get when you successfully beat enemies coming from several directions with a well thought out dance of death with your trusty Really Big Sword(TM)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Drasir-Vel wrote:most satisfying about this game is the feeling you get when you successfully beat enemies coming from several directions with a well thought out dance of death with your trusty Really Big Sword(TM)
There's this one fine level where you descend from north, stand in the middle, deactivate blockades and cockroaches run at you from ten or more directions. Took me a while to beat it, because - as it frequently happens - I failed to spot the obvious.
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

eMTe wrote:
Drasir-Vel wrote:most satisfying about this game is the feeling you get when you successfully beat enemies coming from several directions with a well thought out dance of death with your trusty Really Big Sword(TM)
There's this one fine level where you descend from north, stand in the middle, deactivate blockades and cockroaches run at you from ten or more directions. Took me a while to beat it, because - as it frequently happens - I failed to spot the obvious.
Yeah i think i know the one. There's a corner where you can step diagonally inside past a force arrow and take cover. It's an example of a lynchpin puzzle room, a puzzle where it seems impossible to survive, but there's a little detail, something out of place you have to find which is the solution.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The levels I hate the most are the ones with the living tar. Took me forever to figure out how to beat them the best way.

Still playing this one during night shifts and recently bought DROD 1-3.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

If you get stuck, you're welcome to ask.
I can also recommend this guy's videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1FACCEBE3475950B They helped me quite a few times.