Jessica Plunkenstein and the Düsseldorf Conspiracy

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Jessica Plunkenstein and the Düsseldorf Conspiracy

Post by eMTe »

It's been a peculiar day for Jessica Plunkenstein. By a freak twist of fate and airline security, our heroine finds herself battling evil barons bent on world domination, evil headmistresses bent on pathological propriety, and evil yodelers bent on nothing in particular. Full of llamas, ninjas, French people, pickled herring, dubious German accents, yetis in heat, and musical theatre up the wazoo, Jessica's adventures bring her from the Amazonian Rain Forests to the Norwegian Alps with layovers along the Eastern seaboard. So tag along, and you, too, can unravel The Düsseldorf Conspiracy in what the New York Times calls the Best Adventure Game of 2005!

---

Dont know about NYT (do they have gaming reviews column? :P ), but I know that this game is good. And was overlooked by me years ago, probably because of huge downloadsize.

Developer: greGAMES!

http://www.gregames.net/games/jessica/d ... /index.php
Attachments
j3.jpg
j3.jpg (107.73 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
j2.jpg
j2.jpg (97.87 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
j.jpg
j.jpg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I must not judge a game on graphics... I must not judge a game on graphics... I must not judge a game on graphics... I must not judge a game on graphics...
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Wait til you see my next submission. :)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: Jessica Plunkenstein and the Düsseldorf Conspiracy

Post by Pater Alf »

I play this game at the moment. It doesn't have the prettiest graphics for sure, but the story is totally weird and there are lots of fun dialogues and details (I laughed out loud several times). So this is a lot of fun to play!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Perhaps this should be my next challenge??? It has been waiting some time...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

When it comes to graphics the game is ugly as the night, but the absurd story and hilarious dialogues full of humour and references to famous movies and pop culture make easily up for that. And most important the puzzles (which are meat and bone of every adventure game) are far ahead of the average ones you will find in most amateur adventures. Of course there are still some which are not completely logical, but most of them make sense and still you have to really use your brain to find them (I must admit that I even had to use a walkthrough twice, because I was stuck).

Voice acting is also fine and the game has a good lenght and won't be over in one hour (I think it took me about 4 hours to complete it).
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I advanced in the game and started to like it much. It fails in graphics (unless it was meant to be bad) and hotspots departments, but puzzles are good and it really shines in humour department. I normally don't like games overloaded with gags and popcultural references, but the ones here are really intelligent and funny. For example Ive discovered a reference to Kubrick's The Shining. This is not the ordinary game, misters.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

If you can't play this game but still want to see how it goes, there's a let's play here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7B415C2472455DA3