Enigma

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Enigma

Post by Pater Alf »

"Enigma" is a nice puzzle game inspired by the classic games "Oxyd" (Atari ST) and "Rock´n Roll" (Amiga). There are more than 1000 (!) levels to explore and the game comes along in several languages (english, german, french, russian, portugese, portugese, dutch, italian, swedish, hungarian, finnish and spanish).

I'll let the developer explain what the game is about:

"Enigma is simple to learn, challenging to play and hard to master. It can be enjoyed by players of almost any age. It contains hundreds of levels. And if that weren't enough, it's also completely free. If you like puzzle games and have a steady hand, Enigma will probably keep you busy for hours on end.

The object of the game is to find and uncover pairs of identically colored `Oxyd' stones. Simple? Yes. Easy? Certainly not! Hidden traps, vast mazes, laser beams, and, most of all, countless hairy puzzles usually block your direct way to the Oxyd stones. Enigma's game objects (and there are hundreds of them, lest you get bored) interact in many unexpected ways, and since many of them follow the laws of physics (Enigma's special laws of physics, that is), controlling them with the mouse isn't always trivial ....

The original goal of the Enigma project was to keep the spirit of the Oxyd game series alive, after its publisher decided in 2002 to leave the gaming business. Fans of this famous game will have their déjà-vu. But over the years, Enigma has absorbed ideas from countless other popular games, and added its own unique twists to each of them. "

Developer: Daniel Heck

Download: http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... gameid=191

Official homepage: http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/download.html#stable

Download size: 15 MB (Windows); 18 MB (Mac)

Year: 2007

Attachments
Enigma01.jpg
Enigma01.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 13164 times
Enigma02.jpg
Enigma02.jpg (70.06 KiB) Viewed 13164 times
Enigma03.jpg
Enigma03.jpg (50.47 KiB) Viewed 13164 times
Last edited by Pater Alf on Sun Mar 16, 2008 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Enigma

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:hundreds of levels

(...)

Hidden traps, vast mazes, laser beams, and, most of all, countless hairy puzzles
Everything I love. This little baby will soon come to daddy... Dang, I'm hungry. I need new free games to liv...erm...to spend some of my free time. :twisted:
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I was highly amused (not laughing just entertained) by this coffee-break game. With more than 100 levels to try out it will surely stay on my desktop for a while...
Nice and functional graphics, lovely gameplay, and no need for anything more (lots of variety), then there was hardly anything more I needed. The tutorial was very confusing though at first, which almost turned me off the game, but you wont need it, as soon as you realize what it is about.
With a more developed background and tutorial this could easily have been a perfect waste of time.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

60 levels done, so there are about 940 more to do... :shock:

Not all of the levels have the same quality, but because of the sheer amount of levels, I don't think that really matters. If there are some you find frustrating (I think many of the laser levels are) just stop and try another one. By now most of the levels I completed were over par and I'm not sure if it is really posible to solve them under par (and I'm pretty sure some of the players who hold the world records are cheaters).

Nice puzzle game with lots of different tasks and items to use. Don't think it'll get repetitive so soon.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

"Enigma" is available on CWF now. You can download it from our game info page:

http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... gameid=191
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

It has much more than 1000 levels... because players around the world have submitted their own maps and you can download whole packages of extreme puzzles and complete randomness. You have 1000 only in the included packs. I have the game and have set world records (or at least the same time as other players)
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

World records? Cool. Yes there are a lot of levels in Enigma. I played it for a while and liked it for the fact that it had that many levels, and also that it had puzzles from that game which i can't remember the name of, where you move boxes around.
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

Yep you can make world records but there is only one way: reducing the speed of the game, also called speedhack.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Shouldn't it be called "cheating" instead? :wondering:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

Nope. The real word for changing the speed of the game is speedhack. Cheating is using codes in the game that give you money, points, etc. An example game is CoD4 GTAVC or SA
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

For me cheating is everything you do to make a game easier. Includes codes, changing speed, walkthroughs, etc...
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Fortunately it's impossible to speedhack adventure games. ;)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Imagine you could... speedhacking Monkey island. How would that work. Clicking on a person so fast that the game glitches and he gives you an item you shouldn't be able to get yet. :D

On a related note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuMP9jJSYeQ
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

eMTe wrote:Fortunately it's impossible to speedhack adventure games. ;)
Sure you can. I'm just not entirely sure what the benefit would be.
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

You can speedhack on adventure games if you know how. It's pretty simple :) just a program, click here, change speed, click apply. Done :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Imagine that you by accident speedhacked Soviet Untersögersdorf 2... :D

--Mark Twain
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

What's that?
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

You can find it here:
http://forum.curlysworldoffreeware.com/ ... php?t=2450

Its a very slow moving game - hence the joke on speedhacking it to lower the speed...

--Mark Twain