Quest for Glory 4 1/2: So You Thought You Were a Hero?

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Quest for Glory 4 1/2: So You Thought You Were a Hero?

Post by eMTe »

Completely forgot to submit it earlier... One of the legendary games of early AGS years.

Game is graphically based on QfG 1 VGA remake (at least it seems so to me), locations are sometimes straight ripped off; and has the same interface. What differs it from Sierra original games is huge dose of humour (sometimes offensive) and...hate to say it when it comes to good games...not so flawless execution (game was quite buggy for me when I first played it 5 (?) years ago and not only for me as you can read in web). But be prepared for good laugh.

Official site: http://qfg2001.cjb.net/ (now dead, so I'm posting link only pro forma)

Download: http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... gameid=238

Authors: hard to say...I must download it again and check. If you'll be lucky you'll find some info in web, but all sites I checked say "UNKNOWN". This is abandonware-freeware game. :lol: Good classic oldie. ;)
Attachments
qfg.png
qfg.png (103.64 KiB) Viewed 30463 times
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Great game with lots of humour and self irony, as well as some nudity and sex (always good for the download counter to mention it). :mrgreen:

Unfortunately it really is quite buggy, which means you better save often, because there's danger that it will crash from time to time. And don't use the lasso on the old tree, before you have the guard's uniform and the frost ring. You wouldn't be able to complete the game otherwise... :(

Without these bugs it would've been one of the best AGS games I played so far as it has a good length (longer than most other amateur adventures), fine puzzles, a nice soundtrack and (as mentioned above) a great dose of humour.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Crashed for me everytime Id wanted to check the statistics; works ok now, but I had to mess with compatibility modes. Game was made around 2001, so it should work best with W98.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

...but it works best with mode set to W2000. Game didnt crash for a whole 2 hours which is my best result ever; crashes occurred to me pretty often back in 2002 when I first played it.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

The new download link leads me to an empty page (not the link itself, but the download link at the link...).
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

As usually, game doesnt run on my new (but slowly becoming older and older) comp while there were no problems back then. Need info for description. Can someone download it and tell me if player can choose from different classes, because afair 4 1/2 gameplay has been simplified to one character. Or maybe you can remember this without downloading?
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

You can choose between the classes "Fighter", "Magic User" and "Thief"...
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Thx. You can go and grab the description now. :)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Thank you for the nice description! I just added an extra not for players that tells them to save very often in different slots. Hope that is ok for you.

Quest for Glory 4 1/2 has been added to CWF's database. You can download two different versions (the original Dos version and a version that should be compatible with most Windows platforms) from our game info page:

http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... gameid=238
emerald45
Probably a spambot

Post by emerald45 »

I can't run the game, there is a bug, pls heeeeeeelp!!!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Can you tell us what the bug is? That might help. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Which version did you download? For the Dos version you might need DosBox. And which system do you use? I'm not sure the Windows version of the game runs with Windows Vista.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

If you cant run the game at all you probably downloaded DOS version. Try Windows version, it will at least run. Prepare for buggy and crashy ride though.
Blake00
Tourist

Re: Quest for Glory 4 1/2: So You Thought You Were a Hero?

Post by Blake00 »

Hi guys, I’ve been following the only walkthrough in existence for Quest for Glory 4 ½ at

http://www.agagames.com/AGSwalks/walkth ... hp?game=47

Unfortunately its wrong in many places.. I’ve been attempting to rewrite my own walkthrough to give to communities with the correct directions and better quest order with no duplications. However I am stuck in the game.. have pretty much completed nearly all the quests but I have been unable to save Elsa stopping me from finishing the game (she gives you the secret entrance & rhyme to enter the castle).

In the walkthrough it says once you’ve dressed up as a bad guy and got past the guards and then used the ice ring to scare off the ice demon it then tells you to click on the frozen Elsa to thaw her out. But when I click on her the game (in its usual crude humour) just cracks a joke about ‘feeling her up’ as she’s frozen and can’t catch you. That’s just great and all but how about the bloody thawing and rescuing??

Has anyone here finished the game? Was an item needed to unfreeze her? Or is my game broken?
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I haven't played it.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I completed the game and I remember that I was first stuck at that point too. There is a solution, but after 2 years I can't remember what it was. Sorry! Maybe you could post your savefile here? I I could play the game from this point on, I might remember again...
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Thanks guys.. never mind I got it on my own anyway lol.. The walkthrough neglects to tell you to go back into the graveyard catacombs. When I was there to ‘rescue’ the witches dorky son he wouldn’t let me take his evil candle but it suddenly dawned on me that he’s now back with mommy so I can take it from the catacombs unchallenged. Sure enough it worked and the evil candle melted Elsa’s icy prison! Within 5 minutes after freeing her I’d completed the game with over the max 500 points, woohoo!! Great ending too.. had a lot of laughs!

I’ll finish re-writing the walkthrough and put it up on my site and submit it to some other sites so that others can enjoy the game with minimal hassle!
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Just tell us when it's done. We would be happy to have it on our site as well.