Quest for Glory 4 1/2: So You Thought You Were a Hero?

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Re: Quest for Glory 4 1/2: So You Thought You Were a Hero?

Post by Chroelle »

You took the words right out of my mouth there PA. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Will do! I'm doing a nice map as well.

You guys have a great site here.. and I think you are the only ones who host the rare windows version of the game so I'll have to put the word out as there are some fans in other forums having immense trouble with the dos version!
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

oh and another update.. I also originally asked for help on the Elsa problem in an old QFG4.5 thread over at the infamous adventures forum & its unintentionally started a rather interesting movement!

They appear to have their hands on the authors source code and discussing the possibility of updating the game to the latest version of AGS! This would eliminate all of the current problems with getting the game to work on modern systems and possibly fix some other bugs too!

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/foru ... ic=1263.15
Blake's Sanctum:
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

That does sounds interesting.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Well the remake situation isn’t looking good as yet again all attempts to update the games scripting has led to endless roadblocks. However I'm not sure if he's given up or is deep in the games bad coding as I type this lol. Will let you know if I hear anything more.

However the good news is I am finally done! Have made up a Quest for Glory Series page and put in probably the world’s only fan page for this little game (yeah I know my notepad webcoding sucks lol) and chucked in some QFG 4.5 pictures, a link to your awesome site, and most importantly my finished QFG 4.5 Walkthrough & Map!

If anyone feels like replaying the game feel free to use my walkthrough & map (should only take a couple of hours armed with these) and let me know if you have any troubles or find new quests/objects/npcs/easter eggs I don’t know about & I'll update the walkthrough.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d ... Index.html
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Good job!

Remake of the remake that itself pirated almost every element from the original series sounds hilarious, but in the magical world of (free ;) )ware everything's possible. :)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Nice walkthrough! Would you give us permission to publish it on our site as well (of course with mentioning you as the author and a link to your homepage as well)?
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Pater Alf wrote:Nice walkthrough! Would you give us permission to publish it on our site as well (of course with mentioning you as the author and a link to your homepage as well)?
Please do! I wrote it to help the current AGS community and future potential fans of this game so I'm happy for other places to host it. Let me know when you do.

Oh and it may be subjected to changes if people have troubles or find new things. I'll let you know if I have to update it.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

OK, I added the guide on our site. See: http://www.curlysworldoffreeware.com/guides/view/3

Thanks, Blake00!
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Zyx wrote:OK, I added the guide on our site. See: http://www.curlysworldoffreeware.com/guides/view/3

Thanks, Blake00!
Oh wow that's great! And you managed to keep most of the formatting too which is awesome! Thanks!
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
bunchoftrash
Probably a spambot

Post by bunchoftrash »

People are asking if the game is beatable. I wrote the original music found in this game and was able to beat it at the time, although it was a decade ago on a decade ago machine. I can't imagine what kinds of havoc newer machines may be wreaking on this game. Hopefully, the music comes through for those having trouble with that. And I remember we added a patch to download and incorporate the mp3 versions into the gameplay, which were much better. Good luck, all.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Welcome to CWF, bunchoftrash!

We have the Dos and the Windows versiom at our site, so the game should still run on most computers and of cours people should be able to hear the nice music.

And of course the game is beatable even if it has some traps. If you do certain things when you're not supposed to do them, you will never see the end. I don't think that was intended by the developers, but if you save often enough in different slots that shouldn't be a big problem.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Prisoner416
Probably a spambot

Post by Prisoner416 »

Could anyone make a video play-through of this game?

I can't play it at all on account of either losing the mouse, or the mouse being too slow and unresponsive.

I particularly want to see the controversial Hilde event I've heard so much about.
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Well the day has finally come! I’m releasing Version 1.1 of my QFG 4 ½ Walkthrough!

I’m very sorry I took a year and half to do this but it was hard to find the motivation to come back and replay the game multiple times as multiple characters, all for the second time haha!

I’d like to once again say thank you to all those who contacted me about the walkthrough either in the forums or by email. Your information helped me a LOT!

As always if anyone has any new information or errors to report after playing the game please let me know. I promise further updates will happen much quicker if they are required!

You can download my map and updated walkthrough from my Quest For Glory 4 ½ Webpage . Once again you have my permission to use the walkthrough on your site (you currently have a web version of my version 1 walkthrough on your site).

Version 1.1 Changes (thanks to lots of helpful feedback from fans!):
- 2 new suggestions to get the game working.
- Meeting a band of forest adventurers who can teach Magic Users the Leprechaun Gold spell.
- Using Leprechaun Gold on various NPCs.
- How to break in and steal from the Jones’s House.
- Many more fixes, changes and improvements to various quests.

Known Bugs & Issues:
- Random crashes when sleeping till day or night (not the smaller rests)
- Random crashes when looking at your stats (particularly at start of game)
- Always crashes when you try to play cards with the rednecks
- Rumoured corrupt savegame issue (I didn’t succumb to it through because I rotated between 4 savegames to be safe).
- The food on the tree at Erana's peace (after kicking out the hippies) doesn't seem to sustain you.
- Stealth & Run modes don’t seem to work
- Stamina & Mana potions don’t always work. Health potions can become everlasting.

Unsolved Mysteries In The Game:
- The true purpose of the Camouflage cape is unknown
- You cannot seem to do anything in the spores area, may just be authentic decoration this time
- You can visit and chat with the now alcoholic depressed Hermit at his cave and at the bar yet he appears to have no related items or quests.
- The ghost’s murderer is almost impossible for the Thief & Magic user to defeat in combat due to it being monumentally difficult to raise their health & stamina points. No alternative strategies have been found to beat him.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Great. It's always good to see somebody that dedicated. This is what keeps the old/freeware/indie games world going. :goodjob:

I will add your guide soon, just please tell me do you want to keep the old guide for some reasons or should we replace the old with new one?

Also, I noticed that the full name of CWF is slightly misspelled on your site - it should be "Curly's", not "Curleys". This is no very big deal, but I love pointing out small details. :D
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Opps! All fixed. Looks like I spelt it correctly everywhere else thank goodness. :P

Kill the old (it contains errors & missed quests), replace with the new please.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Done. :D
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Cheers. Although it appears you didn't bring across the colours this time round and without them the walkthrough unofrtunately won't make much sense.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Oops! Indeed. It will be fixed soon, I promise. 8)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Done. Once again sorry for this, I wanted to do things a quick way and didnt notice that your walkthrough contains colours.