Quest for Glory 4 1/2: So You Thought You Were a Hero?

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Blake00
Tourist

Re: Quest for Glory 4 1/2: So You Thought You Were a Hero?

Post by Blake00 »

Looks great. Cheers mate :)
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.
Sojourner
Probably a spambot

Post by Sojourner »

I've been trying to get this to run, no luck so far. It crashes as soon as I try to load it telling me it can't set to 320x200 mode (or whatever that ancient resolution is).

I've tried adding -setup to a shortcut, no joy. I've tried putting it in windows XP compatibility mode, no joy there either. I'm running Vista with all current updates.

Can anyone out there help? I originally played QFG1 when it was Hero's Quest, on a Hercules monochrome monitor. Loved the typing interface, really miss that flexibility and the chance to be creative with the questions and puzzles.

EDIT: Never mind. I put TWO dashes in front of setup, now it works.

Aaaaand apparently trying to run it in widows mode is right out. Oh well. It sort of works, I'll just have to fullscreen it.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Sojourner wrote:Aaaaand apparently trying to run it in widows mode is right out. Oh well. It sort of works, I'll just have to fullscreen it.
I don't think you'd want 320x200 windowed anyway. :)
Sojourner
Probably a spambot

Post by Sojourner »

Possibly not. However I'm playing 1 right now (and I'm assuming 2 through 5 will also work this way, seems to me they did last time I played them in a DosBox) in windowed 640x480 mode - had hoped to play 4.5 that way as well.
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Yup as my guide states two dashes will get it working & 640x480 is the only good rez to use either windowed or full screen. :)

Might interest you guys to know that:

1 - The Coles have spoken about doing a possible Kickstarter (hopefully either a QFG sequel or QFG inspired game) in 6 months from now. Check out the thread here:
http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums ... topic=3075

2- The fan made Quest For Infamy that's greatly inspired by QFG 4 1/2 where you play as a badass hero, is back from the dead and on kickstarter. It looks amazing, I just tried out the demo and its soooo good!!!! Have happily made a pledge for a special edition copy! :)

Check out this link to their new page for the game and scroll down for the Kickstarer link, Demo link and trailer video!
http://infamous-quests.com/home/index.php?page=qfi

Here's some screens for the lazy lol:

Last edited by Blake00 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:03, edited 1 time in total.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Blake00 wrote:The fan made Quest For Infamy that's greatly inspired by QFG 4 1/2
If it won't crash every 5 minutes it will completely lose charm of the original.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

hahahaha not sure if I found the endless crashes charming ;)

Well I haven't had any bad feedback anywhere for my QFG4.5 walkthrough so it looks like its all good and won't need further updates hopefully heh. :)

The QFG and QFG4.5 inspired 'Quest for Infamy' kickstarter I posted above above got funded!!! Its looking really good! :)

Now another peice of news of any Quest For Glory fans here that I really should have posted earlier but as I mentioned in my previous post the orginal QFG creators (the 5 orginal QFG games, not the fan made 4.5) are working on a new game called Hero-U (kind of set in the QFG universe as they don't have the rights to make a proper QFG games yet) and have a Kickstarter for it. There's 12hours left on the Hero-U Kickstarter and they've aaaaalmost got there but its a worry.. I keep refreshing every hour.. this is gonna be a close finish lol!

I've been broke lately plus Im not sure if I'm gonna like Hero-U but I threw in a nice $90 for 3 reasons:

1- My way of saying a big thankyou and showing loyalty to the Coles for the 5 QFG games that I’ve love so dearly since my childhood. To me the money is really a payment to the Coles, not HeroU.

2- The Coles have hinted that if Hero-U is successful then there's a good chance of more QFG games in the future. If it’s not then we can probably forget about any more QFG. So I consider the money a future investment for QFG!

3- Ya never know, maybe HeroU will be good. It is being made by the Coles after all!

Hope they get there!!!!!
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Lots of info put into your post, but you forgot the link to your project. Probably because of being happy and all that. :D

Here goes.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/199 ... famous-que

Good luck!
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

I was referring to my post above that one which had the link already but I probably should have posted the link again, so thanks! :)

Back again with some more news for QFG fans here!

Firstly I've been informed by a big QFG4.5 fan that they have successfully ported QFG4.5 to the latest version of AGS (many have tried but this person is the first to do it successfully!) and fixed most of its bugs (yes you can even play poker now!). They’ve contacted me to assist them with ironing out the various remaining bugs and flaws in the game and I’m helping as best as I can. When they release the new and improved QFG4.5 I’ll make sure you guys hear about it first as you’ll probably wanna update your files! And I’ll have to re-write my bloody walkthrough again haha! :P

Secondly The Coles (creators of the original 5 QFG games) Kickstarter I mentioned above was successful! They can’t make any QFG games at the moment due to licensing issues but its great to see they’re on their way to making a new Hero-U series! :)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/187 ... redemption

Thirdly Quest for Infamy (the QFG4.5 inspired game where you begin as a badass anti-hero starting a new life) have just released their big Demo 2.0! Its freely available to the public and you can get it at their website here:
http://www.infamous-quests.com/home/index.php?page=qfi
It's really good!!!

And fourthly like all that wasn’t enough cool news the Kickstarter for Mages Initiation (also a QFG inspired game) from Himalaya Studios (the people from AGD Interactive’s QFG2 remake) has just gone live. I just watched the video and honestly didn't realise it would be THAT darn good and similar to QFG!
Get over there and check it out!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/211 ... -adventure

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Thank you for sharing all the information. And nice to see that there are so many "Quest for Glory"-related projects at the moment.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

and here's another one lol.. been a crazy month for QFG!

Heroine's Quest has just released its first video trailer.. they must be getting close to completion now! :)

Looks really good, check it out guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgzU3nybN5Y

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I think it deserves separate topic.

Feel free to create one. 8)
Mavaan

Post by Mavaan »

Hi there! First, thanx for the wlkthrough etc, I'm a biiig fan of QFG, and now that I found the 4 1/2 I got very excited, having something new to do ;-) Unfortunately, I can't make it work despite all the instructions: I've made the short-cut adding setup.exe (with one and two dashes), tried every compatibility mode between 95 and 2000, with and without the option for resolution 640 x 480, but all I ever get is a message: "there was a problem initializing graph mode 320 x 200. Can not set video mode. I've got W7. Could this be more a problema of my computer? I admit, I don't know anything about them, just wanna have good adventures ;-) Thanx for any advice you can offer !!!!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I would recommend to download the Dos version of the game and start it with the latest version of DosBox. That should work without any problems. Running the Windows version on a modern Windows 7/8 computer is kind of a hard task.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Mavaan

Post by Mavaan »

Thanx pal. I did that, and dosbox complained "Load Error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip" So I downloaded the file and put the "CWSDPMI.EXE" into the qfg41/2 folder. Now we've moved a bit firther, but not much: dosbox displays some text, but it's go too fast that I could read it, and then it goes just black.... any ideas what do now?
Mavaan

Post by Mavaan »

Just in case, although I don't think it's anything useful: I lowered the cycle number in dosbox config, and the appearing text is: SET BLASTER= A220 I7 D1 H5 T6; copyrights etc; 486 CPU detected; checking sound inits.

dosbox is the latest versión (74), the game itself doesn't have any versión info (but I think there's just one, or?) and neither has the CWSDPMI. And I have Windows 7 home Premium service pack 1, 64 bits. hope to hear form you soon!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

No idea why it doesn't work for you. I've just downloaded it again and checked it and with the CWSDPMI.EXE it works like a charm for me. And I have 64bit Windows 7,Service Pack 1 as well. Did you configure the Dosbox yourself? If that's the case simple try to drop and drag the QFG.exe on the DosBox.exe. If you do so the DosBox auto-configures itself and from my experience you often get much better results that way.

Besides that you could start the setup.exe in the QFG folder and look if the setting show the Soundblaster Card. If they do, set them to Auto-Detect (which should be the default setting).
Mavaan

Post by Mavaan »

Sorry to say but those tricks didn't help anything. anyway, I got this other hint of using an other versión of CWSDPMI, the r5 version from: http://homer.rice.edu/~sandmann/cwsdpmi/index.html and that did the trick, at least I have started !!!! so hope the poker and striptease won't be too much for the sensitiveness of my dear machine, heh... thanx a lot anyway for everything!!!!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Good to hear that you finally managed to run the game. Two more hints:

a) Skip the Poker sequence. The game will most likely crash if you try to run it.
b) Save often and in different slots. There are dead ends, gamebreaking bugs and altogether the game isn't very stable.

Have fun!
Blake00
Tourist

Post by Blake00 »

Been a while since I visited this place, but I'm glad I did now! Thank you so much guys for posting how to get the Dos version of the game working! I've tested it and it definitely works.

I've updated my QFG4.5 walkthrough to include these tips for getting it working and I'm now also hosting a 7zipped copy of CWSDPMI.EXE to help fans to get the game working too. Thanks again guys! :)

Updated Walthrough, map, pics, vids & support files are at my Quest for Glory 4 1/2 page if anyone needs them.

Till next time! :)
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.