Streets of Rage remake

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Streets of Rage remake

Post by eMTe »

They still didnt squash various Indiana Jones games, but that's only because they seem to be not completed in any nearby future.

Free internet gets smaller and smaller.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

And still it is stupid. The game has been out as a beta version for years (completely playable and with lots of levels) and SEGA kept quiet. The final version was downloadable for 1-2 days which means there are thousands of copies existing. Even if they permit distribution someone will leak anomynous it from a safe server.

Would be best for SEGA to give permission and let them write something like "This game was made with kind permission by SEGA". This way they keep their face and even get some promotion.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I think (it's just an assumption) companies are now more aware that something like "indie market" exists and part of it are games breaking various laws. This remake isnt sold, but if it gets a following its creators might think about profiting from it, making deluxe versions and so. Just as I said, internet gets smaller, competition is tougher and it's easier to trace various "independent" projects. Bigfish decided they cant lose the share.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Yes, but then you should prevent it before the game is out. Once something is published you won't get the ghost back into the bottle. You just take the risk of looking like a party pooper.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Why before? If somebody breaks law or your personal laws you can just suit him or threaten with action. Companies have full rights to do it, of course it is debatable if such actions make sense.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Because if you permit something after it was published, you won't have a chance to control it. The only thing you can gain from that is negative publicity and bad feelings from the people you want to buy your products. If you permit it before is was published (which is possible as long as you know someone is working on it), you will exactly know who brought copies to the public and who you can charge compensation from. If you act after the damage was done this is impossible. You can't control the internet.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I dont think theyre trying to control internet, they do exactly what you said they do - find the source and close it. Of course there are "copies" spread around, but by eliminating the official source they officially announce their stance - this game infringes our laws. Is it good for SEGA's publicity I dont know, but I know that they have full rights to do it. Of course Im unhappy they do, here we agree.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Of course they have the right to do so. But I wonder why they did it now and not years ago. The source was well known and the game has been downloadable for at least five years. What can they gain now except the anger of the fan community?
earok

Post by earok »

Looks like this sad story is hitting news sites - http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... age-remake. Definitely not a good look for Sega.

That said, the game might not be completely unsalvageable.. if I was in his position, I'd be looking to change the name, artwork and levels to re-release it as an original IP.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Look at the last sentence. It may be crucial to understanding whole affair.

Now, will CWF stay on the bright side or dark one? We still provide the game.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I don't think we are on the dark side with the version we provide. As far as I can see the developers contacted SEGA in 2008 and they had no objections at that time. They just don't want the final version to be distributed (for which reasons whatever). At least that is how I understand the situation.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:I don't think we are on the dark side with the version we provide. As far as I can see the developers contacted SEGA in 2008 and they had no objections at that time. They just don't want the final version to be distributed (for which reasons whatever). At least that is how I understand the situation.
Well, if that was the case, wouldn't the developers just distribute the old version on their website =). That Sega didn't object doesn't mean they authorized the game. If the problem is with the IP and trademarks, those are a similar problem with any version. However, if we didn't have this discussion here in the public we could argue that when we uploaded the game on the site everything seemed to be ok and haven't been following what has been going on with the developer and Sega recently so we didn't know there was any problem (to our knowledge) with offering the game.

However, now that we have discussed this thing here, we don't have that innocent mind anymore. Unless we delete this thread. Then we can pretend to be on the good side until Sega or the developers contact us about the game.

However, the crucial point is that no court has determined if the remake actually violates any Sega's rights. It is highly debatable if the remake is able to cause financial damage to the rightsholder or fill any other legal indications of causing harm to the rightsholder. It's also debatable what rights Sega can claim; obviously the name - but that should be easy to change. Sega's, and others, actions are just legal bullying the can afford and the fans and developers can't. Sega can make claims but that does not mean anyone needs to follow them. However, Sega can just litigate and then it becomes a cost to the developer or anyone who distributes the game, and it's just cheaper to drop the game than fight the case in court. Of course, many countries' laws would enable Sega to contact our web host and ask us to close down our site as a pre-emptive measure, even without court rule.

I don't think Sega will go after Pirate Bay or us for offering the download. They just needed to quash the developer. I think they just wanted attention to the iPhone game, and this will blow over soon.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I still have an innocent mind as I don't know exactly what SEGA wants. BomberGames don't want to discuss SEGA's request on their forum and there hasn't been an official statement as far as I can see. Maybe the whole quarrel is about something else and not about copyright issues.

Of course we could easily take the game from the site, but would that make sense? SEGA knew about the beta version and the download possibility at least since 2007 (when they were contacted from BomberGames themselves) and didn't ask to take that version down. Maybe they really just don't like the final version? Who knows what is included that annoyed them?

I think Chroelle has to decide here...
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:
Pater Alf wrote:no court has determined if the remake actually violates any Sega's rights. It is highly debatable if the remake is able to cause financial damage to the rightsholder or fill any other legal indications of causing harm to the rightsholder
Usually it works the other way around - fanbase project works as a free advertisement for the company. To use financial arguments they would have to prove that it is so good that it discourages people from playing official products and in result causes financial loss. But it's hard to believe any company would admit that freeware project is better.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

IS it just me or is the notice gone now (but still no link)?
I wanted to make a call here, but as I cannot read the announcement, then I am left with no real info. PA - you wrote something in your first post about the download being down, that they left a notice saying "please do not upload the game to make it available for download" (or something). We can see this 3 ways:
1. don't upload the new version if you got it
2. don't upload any version - and please remove it if you already did upload...
3. The notice is gone - it's ok to have the game present on our site now...

So we need more info as to what is the issue before we act I believe - but we could of course disable the download in the meanwhile...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

SEGA hasnt contacted us about removing the download and if it ever will we should be proud from this. But it's not going to happen. Many sites provide the download and majority of their admins will never know about the issue.

I think we should forget whole fuss. Mild suggestion.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Chroelle wrote:IS it just me or is the notice gone now (but still no link)?
I wanted to make a call here, but as I cannot read the announcement, then I am left with no real info. PA - you wrote something in your first post about the download being down, that they left a notice saying "please do not upload the game to make it available for download" (or something). We can see this 3 ways:
1. don't upload the new version if you got it
2. don't upload any version - and please remove it if you already did upload...
3. The notice is gone - it's ok to have the game present on our site now...

So we need more info as to what is the issue before we act I believe - but we could of course disable the download in the meanwhile...
The notice is still there. It was never on their homepage, but in their forum:

http://www.bombergames.net/forum/viewto ... 95#p103636

I read it in way 1: Don't upload the new version

So I would say we can keep our current download site. If SEGA doesn't like that, they can contact us.