First unofficial OG/Blackdiam/CWF meeting report

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

First unofficial OG/Blackdiam/CWF meeting report

Post by eMTe »

Yup. It has happened. In Helsinki. In a post-webforums analogue world and with limited members participation (<10), but it has really happened.

I am not entitled to share details and/or photos, but the important message is: it is doable.

There were easygoing talks about gaming culture, politics (too much!!) and even bits of Mind & Universe.

There was no beer on anyone's tab (Eric the Viking would be dissapointed), just tea. That would explain only "bits of Mind & Universe".

It was so positive and straightforward and friendly, I sort of developed this wild idea of touring the world in search of meeting other community members. I still carry this - probably exaggerated idea - that we have developed sort of generational bond simply registering on certain forums and sharing certain interests in certain language manner.

Future life is going its own way, but if you ever feel this odd feeling of doing something spontaneous, mathematically irrational, even if youre from Canada, Australia, Greenland, Singapore, hell knows where you are: I am open.

Thing is.

I forget to mention Blackdiam, as a rule. 😕
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Re: First unofficial OG/Blackdiam/CWF meeting report

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Webforum member meets are pretty much a thing of the past, it seems. Pity, really, they add a bit of humanity to a community that is comprised of, in the end, binary data. AI is almost to the point where computer generated responses and posts could pass as human. Of course, in an era where people routinely carry access to the sum of human knowledge in their pockets, people are becoming dumber and dumber to the point where in some ways they have lost their humanity, simply regurgitating dubious information they have heard, seen, or, God forbid, read online.

I used to work with computer technology, but I have given that field up, as the more I see of where high tech gizmos are leading humanity, the less I like it. To that end, I've moved further north following some complete and bonkers insanity that happened a few years ago, lets just say old demons that I thought were done, came back long enough to bite (And they bit HARD) one last time before being put down for good, and with money not an issue, I found true peace, getting fully back into a field that I should have stayed in, revisiting a path I had left long ago. I work in a museum, preserving antique model trains, preserving the only replica of a famous model train showroom layout that existed between 1949 and 1958, the original, in its nine year lifespan, seen by millions of people. Actual numbers are not known, but estimates put between eight and twelve million people. Yes, I took a step backwards in time, no microchips or silicone circuit boards here, but some great mechanical engineering. If anyone is in Wisconsin, a little bit north and west of Milwaukee, let me know.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Railo, if you are capable of organising me a US-internal trip and short stay in New Orleans; everything with public bus/train

I am paying/sharing

Write me pm

Visas, all other issues, I of course take it on myself. I just want to travel America Jarmusch/Tennessee/Pulp Fict
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Now that I remember, here's a strange story for Railwaymodeler... totally derailing this thread off-topic but whatever.

This summer I was for first time at my spouse's family's summer place. Long story short, someone in the family had at some point in time sold their summer place to local businessman. This businessman had then built multiple cottages, including a personal gym, a tennis court, and even some weird garage on the land. However, he also had an estranged son for whom he had built a multi-story playhouse and this huge outdoor model railway.

Unsurprisingly, turned out this businessman's businesses were not really in order, and the land went to sale to cover his various debts. Again, long story short, it fell back to my spouse's family's hands. It was a surreal place, all buildings were abandoned, and some were never really even finished so things were a bit derelict. The model railway had also fell into disrepair. The businessman's son had never visited the place.

However, now there are plans to fix the model railway and it will hopefully have actual users (my kid and his cousins for example). It's really strange, though, it's not that fancy but it is a bit elaborate.
IMG_3337 (1).jpeg
IMG_3337 (1).jpeg (170.66 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMG_3336 (1).jpeg
IMG_3336 (1).jpeg (140.97 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMG_3335 (1).jpeg
IMG_3335 (1).jpeg (173.99 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMG_3334 (1).jpeg
IMG_3334 (1).jpeg (174.75 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMG_3333 (1).jpeg
IMG_3333 (1).jpeg (174.35 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMG_3332 (1).jpeg
IMG_3332 (1).jpeg (126.93 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Kari, what you posted is inherently a child-friendly Lovecraft nigthmare.