Catalonia clashes

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Catalonia clashes

Post by eMTe »

This is probably the most graphic of all videos. Sce
We sometimes know so little about other regions of the world, even those, in theory, wealthy, peaceful and civlized.

Regarding western Europe, we know there are separatists in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Basque Country, Catalonia, Corsica, that northern Italy wants to separate from southern etc etc. Hell, we even have separatist movement in Poland, in Upper Silesia region. But all ot these separatisms are dealt more or less peacefully nowadays, on political ground, after terrorism has ended.

And now this. Out of nowhere.

What's driving these people, I mean separatists? It's a wealthy region, so are we finally facing a new period - wars for identity? All those hipsters, what do they fight for? They have smartphones, they travel around the world, they can have sex with whomever they like. Yet they risk their health (hopefully not lives yet) to brutally clash with the state forces.

Politically, from what I have read, central government didn't have much choice. Catalan officials put them against fait accompli. They have set up the referendum to see what the reaction will be. Like a child which turns into hysteria to see if the parent will beat her/him up. Well, in this case parent decided to refer to oldschool methods.

Now, if the govt decided to let the referendum go they risked that Catalan people will deem that step as an unofficial confirmation of separation. Constitutional court decided that referendum is illegal, so if the police wouldnt brutally, or otherwise, stop the referendum, separation could have been officially announced if the voters decided to separate.

All and all, after Turkey which was believed to be gradually europ%^$^%ized (spare me the English term), after Poland which was believed to be gradually integrated with liberal democracies, now we have unbelievable police brutality in one of the wealthiest, happiest and most peaceful region of EU.

War for the sake of war?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Catalonia clashes

Post by eMTe »

Well, at least Catalonia police brutality covered the Marseille attacks.

Wars cover wars as my Baudrillard/Wittgenstein incarnation would say.

Mass society is safe.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)