North Korea goes Nuclear

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Prideth
Patron

North Korea goes Nuclear

Post by Prideth »

Australia's Response to NK's nuclear test

So our idiot government are considering sanctions against one of the most isolated and poor nations on earth, and banning their ships from our ports Yeah, like that will work :roll:.

I very much doubt that North Korea gives a damm what Australia does. It is fixated firmly on the US, and after this test, I think it is high time the American government gives the North Koreans what they have been asking/demanding for the last few years. To sit down and talk.

This nation having nuclear weapons threatens all of us, especially those in close proximity, such as South Korea and Japan. If simply talking will help ease the tension and promote compromise, then why the hell isn't it happening? All this "rogue state" and "axis of evil" crap needs to be dumped, and this nation treated for what it is. An independant soverign state that is feeling excluded and threatened.

North Korea has a dismal record for human rights, and the way it treats its people. Keeping it isolated, and even more so by sanctions, isn't going to change any of that. In fact it will just make things a damm sight worse for the general population, and make the government even more hostile and more likely to react negativly. Allowing North Korea into the world community, encouraging trade, and recognising its problems, will all help to assist in raising its economy, and the living standards of its people. The politics of the nation can only be changed by the people. We have the examples of Iraq and Afghanistan to show that forced democracy doesn't work. It has to come from within.

Look at China for example, 30/40 years ago it was a world pariah, now it is on the verge of being a superpower, and the world listens when China speaks. I think the visits of world leaders to China, and increased trade, have gone a long way to making that happen.
[size=75][color=darkblue]Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day[/color][/size]
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

I couldn't agree more with your comments Prideth.

It annoys me that the Aust Government has leapt on the bandwagon condemming the NK activities. Bush is clearly an imbecile.

As a head of a nation I'd be pretty pissed if the head of another country refered to myself and my people as an "axis of evil".

With regard to the human rights / people starving issue: So what!? That other countries are so quick to push this aspect is sickening - like they are above reproach. And we all know whom any sanctions are going to hurt the most.

Frankly, I don't really feel that, despite a (claimed) nuke being detonated, this automatically means that NK has it's 'finger on the button'.