Need tips/help for DM

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

SGSW
Warhero
Location: On my way to hell or heaven whatever seems best at the moment

Need tips/help for DM

Post by SGSW »

... And I need all the help I can get.

So what I am looking for is general tips for establislishing & running a campaingn & adventuresplus anything you might find useful, including ideas for gathering PCs and low-level encounters for getting possible noobs to learn to play the game.

The set is going to be Forgotten Realms and very probably the rules are going to be base AD&D 3.5 with some modifications (unless I see the rules of Reinrok translated), because my experience with other systems is null or nearly.

I am thinking of putting the villain or the villain's right arm asking the players to gather a few artifacts that he needs (disguised as someone who will conducted them to the good guy to have them destroyed).
http://www.vinylplastik.com/ - Wall Graphic Interiors - decoration - ships worldwide, AFAIK and it's run by someone I know.

htpp://www.lulu.com/ - Self-Publishing site

If you want a place to stay in Lisbon, staying for more than 3 days (excluding the yoth hostel) and are afraid to leave the girls with me try this http://lisbonsteps.blogspot.com/
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Well... If your players are serious about role playing, make sure you involve them in the character background process, and even though it may spoil some surprises, I've found that it's a good idea for everybody to give creative input for each other's character backgrounds. That way players will often come up with places where the characters' past experiences overlap and make for more natural first interaction. "You all meet at this inn" is always cause for utter disbelief in the setting.

A campaign needs a guiding thread that connects various events to each other, and a major villain or villainous organization that is easily recognizable as such. It also needs to give the players room to establish their characters and their place in the world. Not every adventure needs to have high stakes. New players will often enjoy fleshing out their characters' lives.

Low level encounters would typically be with henchmen of the villain or the monsters summoned/hired/created by the villain, and there should be a suitably annoying recurring lieutenant for the players to hate and eventually overcome as a step along the way to beating the main villain. They should feel that they're accomplishing something.

Don't be stingy with rewards either. You needn't go overboard, but improving characters through wealth and experience is fun for a new player.

Don't play hard rules. If somebody should die due to an unlucky die roll, don't let that happen. Players will not form an emotional attachment to a character that has a high risk of dying.

If you're really comfortable with playing, you could go as far as I have and eliminate most if not all chance from the game. I don't need no stinking 3E D&D rules, I play a ROLE playing game, not a die rolling one. Story telling is more important than marathon die rolling sessions.

Just a few words of advice from an old GM shark. ;)
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

If the players haven't played alot or not at all, nor you haven't been a GM for long, I would recommend that you forgot the campaing at the beginning and run only short single adventures. This way the players can perhaps get a wider view of roleplaying and if someone is not really interested, he/she can drop out more easily.

About the system, I would recommend that you use something simple or something you(as GM) now well. The less you/players have to check the rulebook, the more you can actually play. Also it is nicer to new players if they understand the rules from the beginning. If you think that the system is good for playing, but the character making is rather complicated, then you can consider making the characters for the players by yourself.

Finally, ask your players what they want and try to give them that. If they want to kill monsters and loot treasure, then give them that, but I would recommend that you give also a little bit of something else too, like puzzles, excitement and drama. This way the game is not repeating itself so much and some player might actually like the drama more than killing, although he/she would have wanted kill-loot game.

Just a few words of advice from not-so-old GM shark. :wink:
Segmentation fault
SGSW
Warhero
Location: On my way to hell or heaven whatever seems best at the moment

Post by SGSW »

Well... If your players are serious about role playing, make sure you involve them in the character background process, and even though it may spoil some surprises, I've found that it's a good idea for everybody to give creative input for each other's character backgrounds. That way players will often come up with places where the characters' past experiences overlap and make for more natural first interaction. "You all meet at this inn" is always cause for utter disbelief in the setting.
I've asked them to do that already, but if they won't they will get something out-of-the-hat first encounter.
A campaign needs a guiding thread that connects various events to each other, and a major villain or villainous organization that is easily recognizable as such. It also needs to give the players room to establish their characters and their place in the world. Not every adventure needs to have high stakes. New players will often enjoy fleshing out their characters' lives.

Low level encounters would typically be with henchmen of the villain or the monsters summoned/hired/created by the villain, and there should be a suitably annoying recurring lieutenant for the players to hate and eventually overcome as a step along the way to beating the main villain. They should feel that they're accomplishing something.
The first part I accept your advice, the second I can't, because most of the guiding thread I plan to make it a big mistery (the kind that they will only get some hints around the middle and the big picture very near the end.
Don't be stingy with rewards either. You needn't go overboard, but improving characters through wealth and experience is fun for a new player.
Will do
Don't play hard rules. If somebody should die due to an unlucky die roll, don't let that happen. Players will not form an emotional attachment to a character that has a high risk of dying.
I won't let them die with an unlucky roll, but I will keep them really close to death, so they know that everyone has a bad day and even a stinking Orc can dish out some considerable damage
If you're really comfortable with playing, you could go as far as I have and eliminate most if not all chance from the game. I don't need no stinking 3E D&D rules, I play a ROLE playing game, not a die rolling one. Story telling is more important than marathon die rolling sessions.
I agee partially with you but I can't, first because I am not really confortable with roleplaying and second the former DM said specifically that he didn't want a very social game, he liked some hack and slash and dungeonring too.
If the players haven't played alot or not at all, nor you haven't been a GM for long, I would recommend that you forgot the campaing at the beginning and run only short single adventures. This way the players can perhaps get a wider view of roleplaying and if someone is not really interested, he/she can drop out more easily.
Perhaps I will if I can get hold of any good adventure books.
About the system, I would recommend that you use something simple or something you(as GM) now well. The less you/players have to check the rulebook, the more you can actually play. Also it is nicer to new players if they understand the rules from the beginning. If you think that the system is good for playing, but the character making is rather complicated, then you can consider making the characters for the players by yourself.
We've been having honing the system to suit our needs, so we'll keep it. Making a character isn't difficult, but it's time consuming and further more affects somewhat the first encounters/meetings and therefore the beginning of the campaign. that's why I am asking in advance for people to give me the race, class and some minor information on background ... so far I have nearly certain a human wizard and probably an elf druid
Finally, ask your players what they want and try to give them that. If they want to kill monsters and loot treasure, then give them that, but I would recommend that you give also a little bit of something else too, like puzzles, excitement and drama. This way the game is not repeating itself so much and some player might actually like the drama more than killing, although he/she would have wanted kill-loot game.
Already did, but thanks anyway
http://www.vinylplastik.com/ - Wall Graphic Interiors - decoration - ships worldwide, AFAIK and it's run by someone I know.

htpp://www.lulu.com/ - Self-Publishing site

If you want a place to stay in Lisbon, staying for more than 3 days (excluding the yoth hostel) and are afraid to leave the girls with me try this http://lisbonsteps.blogspot.com/