Crime is the cultural issue

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Crime is the cultural issue

Post by eMTe »

I can't help, but for several years I have this gut feeling about behaviours commonly understood as "criminal" and I finally decided to share it.

Usually, when somebody says "crime" people think "money". Crime is strongly associated with materialism. Of course, there are hate crimes or revenge crimes (committed by skinheads, jealous husbands etc.), but they make up small percentage of the overall huge mass of crimes. Usually, on global scale, when one commits crime it's for material profit. So people think, but.

Adding a bit of psychology now. Look for criminal/prison codes. They are somehow related to what can be generally understood as conservative ideology. Males who commit crimes against women or children are considered unworthy and stand lower on the subculture ladder. It's especially well visible in the treatment of paedophiles in prisons. They are treated as sh*t and not even considered humans, similarly to the lowest caste in India.

I live in the country which is considered by various worldwide organisations as high-income (surprisingly), anyway I have read statistics which show that money-related crimes in Poland decreased during last 25 years by 2000 (!)%. Even if this seems impossible and this number is not completely true it's not completely false either. I blame rapid cultural changes.

To return to my gut feeling I mentioned. Imo, the true nature of criminal behaviour doesn't change, it was always hidden. Basically, "crime", even its materialist incarnation, was always committed for sexual reasons. As a sort of show-off males do for females. Similarly to sport achievments. Since huge changes in our sexual roles are unavoidable the number of "crimes" will decrease and probably, within some circles or even whole nations, crime as the issue will cease to exist.

What do you think?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Re: Crime is the cultural issue

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I've often felt some crimes, particularly sexual oriented crimes, show that humanity, for all of its fancy gadgets, gizmos, and knowledge, is still an inherently barbaric and caveman-like species. After all, there is only nominal difference between a caveman clubbing a cavewoman over the head and dragging her to his cave, and the crime of rape and assault.

Petty street crime, particularly among young men, often stems from a "look at me" mentality, in many cases, this plays with the primative urges in selecting a mate. Biologically speaking, cavewomen wanted their fathers of their children to be the strongest, toughest, biggest, and baddest, for reasons of species survival. Darwinism. This is not unlike kids nowadays showing off by committing crimes, especially those to aquire material wealth, the showing of which indicates strongest, toughest, etc.

Some will remember when we took Skoda to a park, and some punks were causing havoc as part of a gang initiation. This is not much different from two cavemen fighting to the death for who gets a woman to carry his child.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Crime is the cultural issue

Post by eMTe »

Actually, crime, to some degree of course, may turn into fun, just like hunting turned into sport. Check the links I recently posted in "interesting videos, pictures" topic, about the worldwide-known prankster Remi Gaillard. There is no doubt he's breaking the law, but he doesn't profit from his activity in any way. At least he didn't begin doing pranks for money, however with time, due to his popularity, he began to appear in tv shows and advertisements.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)