Developing Ramblings

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Developing Ramblings

Post by jayenkai »

Hello, and welcome to an odd topic.
This thread had been created as an offshoot to the "The Little Inn" topic.
In many ways, this thread could easily exist inside one of the many other sections of CWF, most notably the "In Development" section, but as those who know me are all too aware, my game creation timescale would result in approximately 52 separate "in development" threads every year.
For the past few months, I've been inserting mini dev diary content amongst my The Little Inn posts, and .. Well, I'm not sure. People haven't complained about it.. Maybe they're just too nice to tell me off! Who knows!
A "suggestion" has been made that I start a development thread, so that's what this is.
I'll waffle here about development stuff, and folk can happily ignore my inane ramblings by simply ignoring the thread!
It's a win-win situation!

I'm not entirely sure why I'm finding these short waffling posts as much fun as I am. I never used to enjoy blogging, and whenever I'd set up a blog, I'd typically forget about it after a few days! Heck, the only reason my current blog is active, at all, is because of my regular release dates.. Otherwise that'd probably be an empty, long forgotten blog, too!

Anyway, expect plenty of oddness in this thread, and if you're a developer, feel free to post your own stuff here, too. It'll be fun! Or something..
Maybe..

Today's waffle is about Blockman Gets.

A Brief History
If you've played the original, you'll know it's a strange oddity that I pretty much stumbled upon.
One day whilst coding "generic Pacman game", I lazily decided to take out the Ghosts. I was rushing, and couldn't be bothered doing AI. Lazy Jay!!
So, I looked at the game, and wondered.. "If there are no ghosts in Pacman, what else is there?"
Well.. There's a maze.
.. That's something!
I juggled the maze around in my head for a while, and came up with the general gameplay of Blockman Gets.
Instead of being rapidly chased around the maze, you could take your time.
Instead of free-movement around the maze, your challenge comes from HAVING to constantly eat pellets. If you take a step without eating a pellet, the level ends.
Then you add a target into the mix. Eat X many pellets, and ending the level starts the next. If you haven't eaten enough, you lose a life and the level restarts.
Essentially, the maze is preset, and it's your actions that make it easier or harder.
Bonus points are added for gaining more than the target, and there are power pellets you can eat to refil the arena.

Simple, basic, but really quite addictive!

iOS Edition(s)
2010-2012!

One of the first games I ever attempted to get working on iOS. It's a fairly simplistic game, and it's all contained within a fairly small gameplay area, so it seems like a perfect match for a phone.
So, I tried it.
And it kinda worked, too!
And then Apple launched the iPad, and it completely broke my games. I had to redo everything from scratch. Grrr.
Blockman got scrapped, and restarted a few months later.
After a few days trying various control methods, I decided to give it a rest. Something was up with the controls. I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew it just didn't "feel" right. Given my terrible artistic inabilities, if my games don't feel right they're pretty much just bad games!!

Months passed.. Probably a year..
I got to grips with iOS development. I released SpikeDislike! I got good at it all!
I tackled Blockman again, and again... And again!!
I currently have about 6 or 7 half attempted iOS Blockman versions on my harddrive. Each one failing due to controls, or lack of content, or some other stupid reason.
It never seems quite right.
I love the game, but I just can't seem to get it right?

Monkey!
Recently, I bought a new language called Monkey. It lets me write games for all manner of different systems, including iOS and even Android phones.
As we continue through this Developer thread, expect to see all manner of download links, with plenty of free games for Windows and Android included!
Grab 'em if you've got 'em!

I'm currently doing a sort of mass-remake type thing. Going back to my classic most loved games, and remaking them so they work nicely on Android devices.
This week, I've decided to once again tackle Blockman!
After a couple of hours, I had the basics up and running once again.
I've tackled the control scheme enough to know what does and doesn't work, and have already got two or three fully compatible control methods working simultaneously. I'm going to add a couple more, but they'll need toggles in the menu, as they're fairly complex.
But so far, so good.
I've removed the power-pellets, and replaced them with fruit, with the (currently) four different fruit having different effects. This seems to work reasonably well, and keeps things moving along at a decent rate.

I'm currently wondering whether I should add the old Boulders back into the game, as well as the ghosts.
The boulders require a "thud" ability, which doesn't really fit in with the new control schemes. I could possibly add tilt control for the boulders, but some Android devices are having issues, plus .. Obviously.. Your PC doesn't typically like being tilted about ;)
The ghosts, on the other hand, are even more complex. Even setting them off on preset paths can cause issues. The ghosts always felt too "random" to me, and took away from the raw puzzle mechanics.
I dunno whether they should go back in or not.
..maybe just in Hard mode?

Anyway, that's what I've been tackling, this week.
As well as that, I'm awaiting news from Apple, to let me know if my Monkey Framework is creating valid proper sellable Apps or not, and then I've got SpikeDislike2 on the go, too.
Lots to work on, lots to do!

Development is fun :)
Tormuse
Warhero

Re: Developing Ramblings

Post by Tormuse »

jayenkai wrote:For the past few months, I've been inserting mini dev diary content amongst my The Little Inn posts, and .. Well, I'm not sure. People haven't complained about it.. Maybe they're just too nice to tell me off! Who knows!
Well, I didn't mean it as a complaint; I just think it's a good idea to have the posts about it in one place. :) (And even if no one complained, I felt self-conscious putting them in the Inn) Actually, I really like reading about the progress you're making on the games. I've dabbled a tiny bit in designing games in the past, (Well, more like making mods for games) so I can appreciate the work that goes into it. :)

I just played Blockman Gets on my PC for the first time and it certainly seems like an interesting concept. (My first reaction was more like "Pac-Man without ghosts? You must be mad!" but it actually works quite well) :P The only issue I have with it is the smoothness of Blockman's movement, though that may be more an issue with my computer than the game. (You see, my computer is a crappy hand-me-down of a hand-me-down with a 730MHz processor and 384MB of RAM and sometimes even simple games chug on it) I can never be sure whether or not I'm the only one experiencing any given problem due to my underpowered PC, but I'll share my issue anyway. Blockman seems to hesitate a split-second after each dot he eats which, in my opinion, breaks the flow of the game somewhat. (though, I recognize that this is supposed to be a slow-paced game, so maybe that's intended)

Well, setting all that aside, I am curious to know what the controls for the game are going to be like on a touchscreen device. Do you still intend to swear away from having an onscreen joypad? :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Don't worry, it's getting a DPad.
It's actually getting TWO Dpads. One is a great big ginormous + on the bottom of the screen.
The other is a "swipe" type thing, where your finger landing is the middle, then you swipe in the direction you want to move.
These are mutually exclusive control methods, though, so they need a toggle to choose between them. That'll be popping up on the pause menu.

Neither of these are as much fun, though, as the "Get over here!!" method, where you simply plonk your finger on the maze, and Blockman attempts to get there!

In the original Blockman Gets, I hadn't decided on the "Not eating" block, yet. You'll note that if you stray too far, even if you could've turned around, you die because you accidentally wander into nothingness.
The control delay was added to aid this, somewhat, and it helps when things get a little trickier as the maze gets a little less full.
In Blockman Gets More, I tweaked things a little, and made it so you couldn't actually wander off aimlessly.
*checks*
Oh, apparently I didn't do it for that one, either. Whoops, memory fail!
Not sure where I did it, then, but I know I did it somewhere!!
Anyway, the basic idea is that you can't now die unless you're absolutely stuck, and cannot move.
.. maybe it was the DS version? *shrugs*

This new version has it, so it no longer needs the "Move Delay" as much as it did before.
Having said that, playing with your finger over the top of the maze does make it a teensy bit trickier, so the delay stays!
You'll be happy to know, though, that bringing up the pause menu also brings up a nice "Move Speed" slider thing, which you can use to change between stupidly slow movement, or no delay at all!! Which is unbearably fast!!

The delay is occasionally useful, but it's nice to have an option in my games for a change ;)

Anyway, must get back to coding the thing, or it'll never be finished by Tuesday! eek!!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

jayenkai wrote:...and Blockman attempts to get there!
I see what you did there! :P
jayenkai wrote:You'll be happy to know, though, that bringing up the pause menu also brings up a nice "Move Speed" slider thing, which you can use to change between stupidly slow movement, or no delay at all!! Which is unbearably fast!!
I approve. Please carry on. :D
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Oh Lordy, I wasn't expecting that!!
Apple have just approved C3ntipong for iOS, and it's swiftly popped up in the AppStore!
I sent it off to them last Sunday (I think..!?) so wasn't expecting it until some time on Monday, but .. I dunno,. Maybe they knew it was my birthday, and sped it through for me! ;)

Anyhoo, if you have iPhone, an iPod Touch, or an iPad, you can go and grab C3ntipong for those.
It's FREE!!
It's free, because its a bit pants! But it's also free because I need to get it running (or not!) on as many test devices as are out there.
I'll give it a few days, and hopefully I should get some feedback. Does it work, or is it borked? Who can tell!!?
.. Well, the AppStore public, that's who!!
Give them a free arcade mashup, and see where it goes.

C3ntipong for iOS
Also available for free for Windows, Android and in your Browser here.

I'm really glad Apple have allowed my crazy manic coding to get through, and I'm SUPER glad that the GameCenter stuff works! Up until a few weeks ago I was panicking about having to add GameCenter stuff, then magically out of the blue, the language's developer suddenly posted a new version with GameCenter integration ready and waiting!!
Wowie!! Talk about great timing!
Simple to add and it works. I really can't thank him enough for what he's done.

Three cheers for Mark Sibly!!!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

Nice! Congrats! :D

I sent the link for Centipong to my brother and his wife since they both have iphones. I sent them a link to your site a while back because they're both into coding for video games, so I'm sure they'll appreciate it. :) I'll put a post about it on Facebook too if that's all right with you. :)
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Woohoo! Everybody gets to play :D
Yeah, go mad with it. The more the merrier!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Had a relatively unproductive day, today.
A shame. I'm not fond of days like that.
The type where you sit with the computer, try lots of different things, but in the end nothing actually seems to work.
Things I've attempted to do, today, include.

1. Trying to make a video of C3ntipong, but having the Mac reject it for a whole bunch of stupid reasons, none of which I could quite work out.
Grrr!!

2. Trying to drum up support for C3ntipong, but without looking too spammy. I hate that I hate spam as much as I do, because it makes spamming difficult!!
Grrrrrr!!

3. Adding ghosts to Blockman Gets Hungry. They're kinda there, but aren't moving. .. I was going to make them move about, but it killed the puzzle element. Instead, they just act as dull roadblocks.
Grrrrrrrrrrr!!

4. Adding a new mode to SpikeDislike, where instead of avoiding the spikes, you need to hit them. This should've worked, but in gameplay terms is MUCH harder than you'd think! I know I like hard games, but MAN, that's insane!!
The mode was eventually removed.
Gggrrrrrrrrrr!!!

In the end, I did at least manage to do one little thing.
I added iOS links to my Archive.
Yes, this is a very simple thing, and it's nothing major, but whatever!!
It's been a curiously rubbish day, full of incomplete attempts at various random things.

I'm going to bed, now! Today has been a waste of a day!!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

You should compete in simultaneous coding contests.

Broadcast live of course. :D
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Packing Things Up.

Today I started gathering all the bits and pieces together.
"Blockman Gets Hungry" is all bundled up, screenshots are taken, and everything's ready for uploading.
But it's not going up until Tuesday!!!

Meanwhile, SpikeDislike2 is also in a "Ready to Go" situation.
I'm going to upload the first release to Apple later on tonight, then everything else will be uploaded next week.
March 5th (next Tuesday) is the hopeful release date for that.

So.. um..
hmmm... I have nothing to code!

And yet I have two week's worth of AGameAWeek ready to go.

You know what that means!
I have TWO WEEK'S FREE!!
Woohoo!!

I also have two large projects that need tackling.
1) Arcade Slots
It's been over 5 years since the DS Homebrew original, and it definitely needs a remake.
Lots of things to consider, like multiple resolutions, and GUI vs Rotation, and things like that.
There's also a whole bunch of gameplay styles that all need coded, so it's quite a big task. Something suited to a two-week project, rather than a single week!

2) Platdude's Arcade Collection
Another from the "5-years ago, DS Homebrew" archive, and a pretty similar situation to Arcade Slots.
It's basically a whole bunch of mini arcade remakes, all bundled into one neat little package.

Both of these games need the same kind of love and attention that SpikeDislike2's had. They both need unlocking schemes, and new menus, and things like that. They also need LOADS of sprites, as well as a lot of coding to get everything working.
The Arcade Collection will be slightly more fun to do, since it's literally a whole bunch of entirely different games.
.. but I'm not in a particularly arcade-sprite doodling mood, at the minute.
Slots, on the other hand, requires me to rethink a lot of it. I can't very well slap a game of sprite-ripped arcade games into Apple's AppStore!!
Instead, it'll have to be based on classic Jayenkai games. Which could be ever so slightly quirky!

So, which do I attempt?
Or do I aim for something entirely different?

.. I'm not sure. I'll keep you updated!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

After a long period of uncertainty, I finally made my choice.
I've started an all new Arcade Slots collection.
So far, nothing big. It's simply a bog-standard fruit machine engine, but it's nice and expandable, and can happily cope with anything up to 16 reels, as well as happily switching between landscape and portrait views. Woot!
Loads and loads and loads of crazy maths to get all that working.

Tomorrow I'll start building the first game, proper, which will probably be JNKPlat-Slots. I've done it a few times, and nothing new will be added. But to heck with that, it's the heart of the compilation, and it must be done!!

Meanwhile, I did indeed upload SpikeDislike2, last night. The game is now on Apple's servers, and in a few days time, somebody, somewhere, will be playing SpikeDislike on an iDevice!!
Perhaps they'll get a highscore?
Perhaps they'll get addicted?
Perhaps I'll have to wait an extra few days before it gets released, because they won't stop playing the damned thing?
... Perhaps I'm overselling it!?

Blockman Gets Hungry : tomorrow!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

It's Tomorrow!!!

Today is Blockman Gets Hungry day, and it's available for free, for Windows and Android, as well as being playable in your browser.

I've tried my best to plop as many control schemes into the mix as I can. There's 7, at last count... I think..!
Hit the pause menu, and you can fiddle with a couple of bits and pieces, but other than that it should be ready-to-go.
Nice and simple maze game. Guide Blockman in such a way that there's always a pill within reach. If he gets stuck, it's round-over, and then you'll either be sent to the next level, or if you've not eaten enough, you lose a life.
It's simple, but it works!

There are four fruit to grab along the way. See if you can work out what they all do! (They're not mind-blowing, they just add to the fun!)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I rarely feel the need to apologise for my games looking "MORE" than they end up playing.
This morning, I woke up to an insane Twitter feed, with people all over the internet going absolutely crazy over a teensy tiny video clip that I posted last night..

This is the clip..

If you've been playing along, you might recognise the game.
JNKPlat Slots is the origins of Arcade Slots.
It's a pretty bog-standard slot machine.
You push the SPIN button, the reels spin, then Platdude attempts to make his way across the level.
The thing isn't "playable", in the traditional sense of gameplay.

"OYAY coming to mobile sooon?"
"holy shit that's cool"
"AUGH! I keep watching it over and over again, thinking its gonna change, no wait he'll take another path... augh! ITS A LOOP aaahh"
"OHMYGODTHISISAWESOME"
"like the idea, and looks great too."
"Nice! Can't wait to play it. Looks really fun. I loved the ancient Mario retro style :)"
"Looks damn amazing! Will it be available for mobile?"
"that looks really really cool. Platform re-invented?"

I felt like I needed to explain the lack of gameplay! This morning, I posted a "Calm Down, Internet!" blog post.
I'm not sure how much people will take notice of it. Maybe I should've added a second "OMG!TEH AWSUM!" clip to the page, but whatever..
*sigh*
People getting over-hyped about a game I've only just started, and yet there's still SpikeDislike2 to come!!

Oh well :D

This is a fantastic time for AGameAWeek!!!
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Develop it into a fully playable game. You've heard the public's voice. You'll make millions.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

JNKPlat's a firm favourite of mine.. I've written, and re-written, and re-re-re-re-re-re-written it plenty of times.
A not-so-brief history of Platdude
Trying to get it working on a touchscreen device, however, has proved inexplicably difficult, without shoving a multitude of horrible little buttons all over the screen. eeeuwww!!!

I'll keep trying. One day I'll come up with something!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Arcade Slots is coming along slower than I'd hoped.
It has the JNKPlat game, and the Blockman game, and then.. Erm....

Hmm..
So, rather than sitting wondering for a day, I spent the day doodling a whole bunch of stupid little sprites.
Will these ever be used? Who can tell!

Once I start Platdude's Arcade Collection, they'll probably come in handy. Other than that, you might see them pop up here and there, in various AGameAWeek games!
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

I tried Blockman Gets Hungry, both the Windows version and the Android version. The Windows version doesn't work for me at all. :| I just get an error message saying, "This application has failed to start because OpenAL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." I tried re-downloading it and re-installing it to no avail. I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that I'm using Windows XP, since my Googling skills tell me that that file is related to Windows Vista.

Anyway, the Android version worked fine. :) I like the variable speed controls and I like the fact that you can choose from a variety of control schemes. I think my favourite of them is the "swipe" controls; that seemed to work best for my smartphone, since it doesn't depend on me touching a very small target. ;) Theoretically, I think I would have liked the tracing a path control scheme, but my screen is so tiny, that I keep missing where I'm trying to touch. Also, minor aesthetic quibble: Depending where they are on the screen, some dots are larger than others. (2 pixels across or 1 pixel across)

Funnily enough, the game I seem to find myself coming back to most often is Platdude Golf. :) It's a nice, quick "coffee-break" game that I can play through quickly and the physics engine works nicely.

Those slot machine games look pretty cool too! I love the Pac-Man one; those sound effects bring back lots of nostalgic remembrance of my old Atari days. :) And yes, as some people have said, a playable randomly generated Platdude game could be really interesting.
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

D'oh.. The OpenAL thing.. Grrr... There's always something!!
You can grab OpenAL's installer here.. It's free, it's small, and it just installs nice and quick. Then my games should work.
I need to add that link into my archive, too. Will add it to my todo-list.

.. This is what happens when you don't like installers.. The quirky bits start popping up!
I blame Microsoft!!

Right, onto the pill-sizes. First, you might be right, and it might just be a positional thing, in which case.. What can I say.. It's a curse of having to cope with games that can run on anything from 240x320 resolution (my HTC Wildfire) up to 2048x1536 (my iPad 3) and beyond!! I've attempted to keep things visible at all times, and everything *should* scale nicely, but.. Well, that's a pretty big difference!!!

However!!
It might actually be one of those gameplay rules that I've not bothered to mention. I do this a lot.. Hunting my games for little secret rules is a great way to get highscores!!
Each dot has a memory. If you eat a cherry (or otherwise), the dot remembers its been eaten, and is drawn smaller.
You score more points when eating fresh dots.
There's also a counter %age that keeps track of how much you've eaten. This isn't a total. It's fresh-dots!
Gotta get 'em all!!

So... Platdude Golf is actually a something? Hmm.. I might have to have another play with it. I think I honestly just fell out of love with it, halfway. *shrugs*
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

The bits that I hate.
ugh..
This morning I woke up, and stupidly decided that SpikeDislike2 needs some sort of Press Pack, that I can send off to journo's and maybe get the hype built up a little more than usual.
Usually, I don't bother with all this gubbins, but SpikeDislike deserves the special treatment.
The original's been good for me. It's paid for a Window! A whole actual physical window!
Sure, it's a shame that it's not additionally paid for a whole lot more, and that my iOS Development payments now total about £20 a month, if I'm lucky, but for that first week, that initial burst of sales, it dun gud!!

Hopefully, with all the forum posts and waffling rants like this one, SpikeDislike2 might supply another window! Who knows!!?

And so, I've spent the morning bundling together various bits and pieces.
Screenshots, check.
Big oversized icon, check.
Big oversized logo, check.
Board game, check.
Waffling text file.. um.. half done.

Annoyingly, I can't actually finish off the waffling text file, yet, because there are still pieces waiting to slot into place.
For starters, the game isn't actually released yet, and Apple don't do "Placeholder" urls, so annoyingly I can't yet link to the none-existent place where SpikeDislike2 will eventually appear.
grrr..
For comparison, I CAN add a link to the Android/Windows/HTML edition on my own Archive, even though I haven't added it yet, because I know which slot it'll eventually take up. I'm pretty sure Apple should be able to do that, too, given that each app already has a unique identifier. Quite why they don't is beyond me!

I also haven't made a proper trailer, yet.
I should really get onto doing that.
hmm..
This laptop really isn't up to the job, though! Time to switch over to the Mac for a bit, methinks!
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Thumbs up for the boardgame. It's an awesome idea!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]