The Cry Club

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

The Cry Club

Post by eMTe »

The idea originated from my long-time observations and even longer talks with a friend, who is a psychologist, but also an avid movie fan. The basic thought was: "people fight". They constantly fight, argue, try to destroy physically, verbally or psychologically their opponents, even if these "opponents" are members of family, love partners, friends, colleagues from work. People rarely or never seek common ground, at least not openly. They tend to cope with the world through aggression, cynicism, irony or infantilisation. They claim to stand on the bright side, fighting the dark side, but darksiders claim to stand on the bright side as well.

My vague idea was: how about cry. Cry is quite similar to death - it leaves people "naked", "as they are". I don't intend people worldwide to fall into others' arms and cry like babies, but my thought is, imo, interesting enough to pursue by psychologists, movie directors, poets, philosophers, politicians, parents. Cry as The Answer. Cry as the metaphor, allegory, ultimate solution.

I wonder what are your thoughts on the subject. 8)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Re: The Cry Club

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I would think our inn would also be a good place, too. Many a time a person with a broken heart or otherwise hurt, goes to a bar, and lets his problems vanish into the beer bottle. I'm told that in Mexico, some towns have a small area expressly for this purpose, that if a man is depressed, usually over a lost love, he can go there and be in similar company.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Interesting that you mentioned Mexico, because Latin culture is considered to be very emotional. Or Mediterranean in general. Would be interesting to trace if, for example, the tradition of hiring professional mourners originated somewhere in southern Europe. Anyway, even more interesting would be to find if this kind of relieving soul pain (minus beer bottle) can be imported into other fields.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Very true about Latin culture. Maria can be quite emotional at times. I call her my "Little Firecracker" sometimes, because if someone makes her mad, it can be quite obvious. If something makes her sad, she cries quite a lot, too. This, thankfully, is rare, though.

This might be a good thread, thinking about it, if something depressing is going on in one's life, and wishes to keep it separate from the Inn.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

It wasn't my intention. I created the topic to incite the discussion, but from the philosophical perspective, as I always do.