Julian Assange - what do you think of him?

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Julian Assange - what do you think of him?

Post by eMTe »

He's certainly one of the most controversial modern celebrities (I call him celebrity, because I don't know how to call him properly - an activist?). He's accused of rape (some probably believe that this accusation is false and is most likely controlled by US intelligence), but at the same time he's doing what is perfectly postmodernist in spirit - uncovering the hidden truths. Who is he in your opinion? A hero? A complicated person in need of recognition by masses?

I, personally, believe that he's a guy with psychological profile similar to Kim Dotcom. Sort of product of internet. WWW anarchist, believing in his "quest" and that what he does is good, but doing more mess than good.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: Julian Assange - what do you think of him?

Post by Scythe »

I look forward to seeing him prosecuted.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Yeah, but does it mean that you WANT him to be prosecuted for some personal reasons/beliefs or you want to see what will be the outcome of all this massmedia issue?

I repeat: He's sort of product of internet. It's easy to judge him for what you receive through news portals, but it probably gets more complex if you know the man personally.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

He's not like Kim Schmitz at all. Kim Schmitz believes in nothing but money and greed and I'm sure he laughs about everybody who thinks he has a quest or is interested in doing anything good.

Julian Assange certainly likes to be be a celebrity, but I would say that he really believes in the the things he does and that it is an important mission to reveal some dirty secrets of the governments, so they can't go on that way and have to explain themselves to the public.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:He's not like Kim Schmitz at all. Kim Schmitz believes in nothing but money and greed and I'm sure he laughs about everybody who thinks he has a quest or is interested in doing anything good.

I wouldnt be that sure. ;)
Pater Alf wrote:Julian Assange certainly likes to be be a celebrity, but I would say that he really believes in the the things he does and that it is an important mission to reveal some dirty secrets of the governments, so they can't go on that way and have to explain themselves to the public.
I wouldnt be that sure. ;)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

eMTe wrote:Yeah, but does it mean that you WANT him to be prosecuted for some personal reasons/beliefs or you want to see what will be the outcome of all this massmedia issue?

I repeat: He's sort of product of internet. It's easy to judge him for what you receive through news portals, but it probably gets more complex if you know the man personally.
If I knew him personally, I'd punch him in the face. That should suffice for an answer.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I think there are things that the world governments do that the public should not know about, and that they are safer in not knowing these things. I thikn there are things that governments say/do behind closed doors that other nations should not know about.

The problem here is, when you have countries/groups in this world with the capability to exterminate life over the simplest of things, then meddling in these types of affairs could have disastrous reprocussions. I think they should drop him on the front lines of some war somewhere and give him first hand experience on the types of "things" that he is exposing. Have him go and arrange peace talks between two feuding countries, give him a dose of reality.

It would be one thing to write it in a paper to distribute to the masses, but exposing it on the internet, which is accessible by almost the entire population is irresponsible and down right ignorant. This man has the capability of putting lots of lives in danger, whether he thinks he is doing good or if he is in it for the fame is irrelevant.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting