New war is coming :)

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

New war is coming :)

Post by eMTe »

Well, not a true war, so don't be afraid. :D Certain article that I read inspired me to name the issue "a war", but in fact the problems are known for a long time.

To make things short. Polish film director made a stupid comedy. It appeals to masses, is blatantly stupid, has huge budget and dramatic actors were hired to play in it. One of the most recognizable film critics bashed the movie to the ground an now, well, he will face a trial. Why? The director accuses him of writing an unjustified review and wants to prove that he lost MILLIONS because of this review.

Forgetting the nuances of this childish trial for a while (I use the world "childish" on purpose, but actually, it may occur that consequences will be serious for the critic). Are we really facing the new world, where masses decide what is good and bad, what is valuable and whatnot, what can be punished and what can be left free or will we still have elites - people who are better educated, wiser in a general sense, more sophisticated, "prone" to be on top?

Is the ochlocracy (called by some democracy) really coming?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Re: New war is coming :)

Post by Pager »

I don't think we will ever truly lose the sense of elitist. There will always be someone who feels the need to be in control. Have you ever watched a crowd? Like not been in a crowd, but watched it? I once sat in a train bus terminal waiting for my ride and it was strange, everyone went in the same direction, and used the same stairs...even though there were 4 sets of them. Everyone just assumes that the guy in the front of the line knows where to go. So, I don't think we will ever get to the point where the masses control everything.

I mean take a look at democracy...the masses pick who they essentially want as their elitist. But not really an elitist in the sense of knowledge, or being more educated, in fact sometimes they end up being some of the dumbest people on the planet. But the people have spoken, and this is their choice: Some dork in a sweater vest.

So no, I don't think we will ever lose that sense of an elite, they may just become a little more "behind the scenes"...Like in Rollerball...the original, not the LLCoolJ version...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pager wrote:But the people have spoken, and this is their choice
Yup. And this is something that scares me. :|
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

This director is making what is clearly an unjustified lawsuit. How did he even get that to trial? I hope the case is dismissed in a minute or two. Anything else would indeed be scary.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

He didnt yet, he warned the critic that he considers such action. It will probably not be accepted, because of lack of proper paragraphs and freedom of language (movie critic's job is to dump or praise the art, not to care about producer's money), but he also stated that he will try to accuse the critic of biased approach towards him, because of "personal reasons" which he did not disclose.

Anyway, even if this case will end in just a small scandal and several articles in color magazines the very idea that you cannot call stupid movie a stupid movie is dangerous and shows some tendencies in people who are and will in future make big money on masses.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I'm not sure one person thinking he's the center of the universe shows a tendency. Not that he'd be the first movie director to have his head buried too far up his ass, just look at Lars von Trier. I wouldn't be worried, this kind of thing tends to backfire. He can simmer in his poor, misunderstood artist basement, and the rest of us can go on with our lives. Or read about it in the tabloids or whatever strokes your goat. Any sane court of law will either dismiss the motion or fine the director, making him lose more of his precious money.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I dont have problem with people who think they are hub of the universe. Im particularly aware of this case, because he says: "I lost money, because some moron stated his opinion and many people didnt watch a movie" while the job of this "moron" is to say to people what he thinks is good and what is bad, what's worth the time and what's not. What this director wants to do is to extend the civil and criminal laws on entertainment, because he treats movie-making as a normal business which can be destroyed by some backdoor activity. I say, c'mon, movie is not a subject of rights, like law firm or washing powder, you can say the most biased opinions or simply lie about it and destroy it, because you dont like it or you dont like the director, no matter if you're the average person or a "business" rival, that's how it worked for decades.