Goodbye Firefox, welcome...?

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Goodbye Firefox, welcome...?

Post by eMTe »

So it appears my Firefox adventure is nearly over. I have enough of memory leaks which dont let me view online clips and I have enough of flash plugins which more and more often with each FF version crash the browser or even freeze the computer. Apparently Mozilla is no longer capable of creating the comfortable product, because these problems are known for years and nothing has been done about it.

What would you recommend for a fed up user? Chrome? Opera? Latest IE? I remember checking both Opera and Chrome and I think they both have memory leak issue too. Maybe the true problem is that browsers nowadays are overloaded with stuff - organizers, plugins, addons etc. I need a simple browser which browses and doesnt have fancy extensions - a browser like FF was in early days. Maybe something small and independent?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Re: Goodbye Firefox, welcome...?

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I guess you have to just try the different ones out to see what you prefer. I haven't experienced any browser being much faster than Chrome, but then again i haven't tested many except the most popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_we ... er_engines
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

eMTe wrote:What would you recommend for a fed up user? Chrome? Opera? Latest IE? I remember checking both Opera and Chrome and I think they both have memory leak issue too. Maybe the true problem is that browsers nowadays are overloaded with stuff - organizers, plugins, addons etc. I need a simple browser which browses and doesnt have fancy extensions - a browser like FF was in early days. Maybe something small and independent?
If you want small and independent, there's really just Opera. If you're fed up with Flash crashes, Chrome bundles its own version of Flash and sandboxes it so that a Flash crash doesn't bring the browser crashing down. If I remember correctly, Firefox 4 should have similar feature or at least will have it in the future. Chrome is closest to the old Firefox, in that it's just a browser. However, it seems that each version does bring in new stuff.

I haven't really used IE, so I have no idea if the new IE9 is good or not.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I think Ill go for Opera, I remember using this browser for a short time, some years ago. I hope CWF doesnt have issues with it.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I have totally changed to Chrome now, and I am not going back to IE even for version 9. Mostly actually because IE9 supposedly does not support win XP. That means I cannot use it, if the rumors are correct...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

So far it's even worse. For some reason Opera has tendencies to completely freeze when I open new tabs. I wonder if it's really the browser problem, it must have something to do with unnecessary goodies I installed (so far only Adobe plugin) or with sites content.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

I had a strange problem with Opera at work...using our build tool, it has a lot of collapsable lists and sheets, but for some bizarre reason, Opera displayed them all and never gave you the option to hide them...weird...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, that was the problem of settings, right? No?
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Have you tried doing a clean install of Firefox? Or maybe you should start completely over, reformat the HDD and install only plugins you know you'll use?

I haven't had a browser crash in years (on FF).
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Same here. Sometimes the flash player crashes, but that doesn't cause any problems. Firefox tells me that the playerd crashed and asks me to reload the site. No computer freezes or complete browser crashes.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Clean installs yes. Format not, too much trouble for badly behaving browser, after all it's me who must show who rules.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Well, I get the distinct impression that these problems of yours will follow you across all browsers, as it sounds as if it's something caught in the system files (I could obviously be completely wrong here). Have you hard cleaned the cache?
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Yep, these trouble seem to affect all browsers I use. As for hardcleaning cache you mean deleting folder contents? Which ones exactly?
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Yes, physically deleting temp internet files and maybe even cookies. I'm not sure where those are located, depends on your OS, and I honestly don't remember since switching to win7.
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

CCleaner can clear the browser cache and other things.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I think I deleted all cookies, temp files and every uselessly looking trash Ive ever found in Docs and Settings directory. And I did it more than once. Reinstalling system always helped, but I really dont feel like doing this now.
Drasir-Vel

Post by Drasir-Vel »

You can also delete C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

FF problems are nothing in comparison with Opera's behaviour. Freezes, weird messages, problems accessing mail accounts. I am thinking of switching back to FF, at least it was predictable. :/

Hell! F##k!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Prodigal son has returned to his homeland.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Does that mean we have to to dress you in a fine robe, a ring, and sandals, and slaughter the "fattened calf" for a celebratory meal now?
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]