North Africa crisis - beginning of the end of antiutopias?

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: North Africa crisis - beginning of the end of antiutopia

Post by eMTe »

We have Orban's book, published in 2007, so I might take a glance and post here some of his views. But I'm afraid there's nothing surprising to discover - he has strong catholic beliefs, supports the influence of the state on fields "crucial" for society and doesnt like international monetary institutions. Typical politician of its kind, but without the support (read: money) from the world and with huge part of the society being against him he will most likely lose next elections, especially that financial crisis in Hungary can only deepen.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Anybody follows the situation in Syria? Everything's decided, but it seems the regime keeps fighting for the sake of fighting just like Kaddafi did and like Iranian authorities will in future. History teaches us that regimes fall no matter how strong they are, but those on top always keep fighting, even if the results are perfectly predictable. I dont want to play an advocate of bad people, but dont you think they sometimes have no choice? Once you gain power you become trapped in the cage youve just created. If you decide to step down - you will be considered weak and punished by people only waiting to take control and show the masses how weak you was, if you decide to fight you will be punished by international forces, tribunals etc. The whole issue reminds me of Lord of the Flies.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

So, to revive this thread. Do you think that all the recent news about possible attack on Iran are true or media just play again on our emotions?
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Depends. When are the American presidential elections again?
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Obama got interrupted recently during a speech, by someone shouting "NO WAR IN IRAN" and Obama answered that we are not at war with Iran. It made me instantly think that no matter who planned this - person shouting or someone trying to take down Obamas popularity by mistakingly insinuating that there was a possible war with Iran, or if it was Obamas staff that planted that to make Obama look even better - no matter whoplanned it - it helped out Obama big time! Gave him a boost in popularity, as people do not want to go to war any more places, and Obama also showed that he is willing to listen and answer the average american. I real feather in his hat right there.

I think there is a LOT of spin going on right now. I think that all americans fear that another war is coming on, and I am sure that republicans everywhere are doing what they can to hurt Obama as both their candidates are nowhere close to being able to beat Obama...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, aren't republicans traditionally war-oriented?
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I would say so yes, but if you ask a republican voter they would probably say no. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

But of course USA have Israel...so the possible scenario is Israeli air attack on military objects and plants and US fleet operating in the gulf. Open warfare, like in Afghanistan or Iraq is not possible imo, because Iran afaik is much more advanced when it comes to military defense, transport, general infrastructure etc. and with US society being against ANY new wars anything except air or rocket attacks would be quite costly for Obama. Besides, Iran is huge. Land attack on a relatively developed country comprising 1/6 of the US territory in comparison...well. But the big advantage is the Iranian society's strong (but quiet for obvious reasons) opposition for government and oppressive religious laws, which was much weaker in Afghanistan and Iraq. Iranian society in general is a bit more civilized when it comes to openness to the outside world and much wealthier on average. But I seriously dont see US and/or Israeli armed forces marching through the main streets of Teheran. It sounds like a good beginning of the political fiction movie though.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I think it's the other way around, that it's Israel that has the US. The Israelis are counting on the US to clean up any mess they enter. Especially now that it's election year in the US.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:any mess they enter
There's only one mess Israel entered and it is 64 years old if I'm not mistaken. 8)