Googles doodles

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Googles doodles

Post by Chroelle »

Well I guess all of you noticed that Google changes their doodles (the way their name is written) when something significant happens, or if it is someone importants birthday, or the 200 anniversary of something.
Most of you propably noticed that these days it is the 30 year anniversary of Pacman. But did you know that the Doodle is actually playable (only the one Google-level though)? And do you know that if you press Insert Coin (Where the "I feel lucky"-button is normally placed) you can play as Ms. Pacman as well, so it becomes multiplayer?
Go try it out! :)
Attachments
PAcman.jpg
PAcman.jpg (81.17 KiB) Viewed 17958 times
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Chillum
Legend

Re: Googles doodles

Post by Chillum »

I didn't know, that the event of google changing their logo once in a while, actually has a name.. :P
Sure I've seen Google Doodles before, but this one is just pure awesomeness! :D I really love Google more and more for every time they do something... :)
I didn't manage to complete the game though.. :(
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I played it for a while, but Pac Man was never really my thing...

I did try out that 'insert coin' thing. Pure genius!
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I don't use Google anymore. They once started with a good idea, but now they became a data collecting monster that wants to control every part of the internet. They don't care for data privacy and copyright issues and they have some plans for the future that I don't like at all. They are not the good guys any longer...
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

They don't care for data privacy and copyright issues and they have some plans for the future that I don't like at all. They are not the good guys any longer...
I'm pretty sure that Google takes privacy and copyright issues way more seriously than any other company. One reason is exactly what you wrote, if people thought that they can't trust Google, they'd stop using their products and that's not good for them. The second reason is that they're the biggest name on the web today and everyone looks really carefully what they're doing, see how they got questioned by the consumer protection agencies of many countries regarding the Google Buzz mistake and how they're now in hot water when they admitted that they accidentally stored WiFi payload data.

Of course, there's no reason to "trust" Google, but I'm pretty sure that governments and other watchdogs are doing their work and that keeping their users' trust makes business sense.

Also, my very good friend works at Google and I'm pretty sure that if there was anything shady going on, he'd be the first to quit... =)
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Zyx wrote:
They don't care for data privacy and copyright issues and they have some plans for the future that I don't like at all. They are not the good guys any longer...
I'm pretty sure that Google takes privacy and copyright issues way more seriously than any other company.
Just look at the things they do at Google books (they scan thousands of books without permission) and YouTube (a place where the term copyright seems to be unknown) and you can clearly see that it's not true. And they just admitted that they stored the WiFi data when there were clear proofs that they did so. Just a few days before they denied it. Same thing with Google Street View. They didn't even want to talk with German Gouvernment about giving people the right to contradict the puplishing of their houses and only made up their minds when gouvernment threatens to enact an anti-google-law.

They might have started as a sympathetic little company, but today they are just a montrous firm that gains money from collecting as much information about their users as possible.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:They might have started as a sympathetic little company, but today they are just a montrous firm that gains money from collecting as much information about their users as possible.
While I agree that Google books went a bit far and that Street View is quite spooky from European privacy standpoint, I don't really believe they make money by collecting user information but selling ad space on the web.

But as I said, I trust them more than other companies. I'm way more worried about Facebook, and it was pretty dismal that the German minister for consumer protection could only threaten them with deletion her own account if they don't start to respect their users more…

But anyway, I was really surprised how well the Pac-man clone was made. The game had the same "blind spot" for ghosts as the original arcade version... =)
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Well, of course they make money from selling ad space. But the more data they gain from there customers, the more personalized ad space they can offer. That way the chance is much higher that customers will use the links. And that's the reason they are interested in getting as much information about the people as possible.

Facebook might even be worse, I can't judge it as I don't use it as well.

But to be honest, the Pac-Man doodle really looks well-made. Things like that might be the reason that they still have such a good image in widest parts of the internet community.
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I also think Google Sketchup is awesome. I've used it to design a few things during my education. :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I think that the way Google does business is not always by the book and ok by me, but I have to admit that the products they offer me (except ad-space which they do not offer me anymore as you might remember) are quite ok, if not very above par. The innovation they are showing have to drag their company profile in a postive way in my oppinion,but it does seem things might be moving a bit too fast sometimes - even for them.
And Google-honey, always admit when you done something bad. The public will know eventually, and nobody likes a lier!

--Mark Twain
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

Yes, I do notice those Googles doodles that changes with occasions. They are usually pictures, scenary or decorations.

The one I loved most was the 30th year anniversary of Pacman game as it was so unusual & interactive (not that I love playing Pacman to that extent). It was fun though trying out the Googles version. This only lasted a few days and news on the internet stated that companies were losing $1m or more in productivity as employees were all playing Googles Pacman. :lol: Then because many people love that Googles Pacman so much, Goggles brought it back as a permanent sub-page here.

Goggles also had some usually doodles like the Scooby Doo short comics scenes and the recent one where there were various fragment pictures and it enlarges to the full picture when the mouse overs over a fragment picture.
Chroelle wrote:And do you know that if you press Insert Coin (Where the "I feel lucky"-button is normally placed) you can play as Ms. Pacman as well, so it becomes multiplayer?
Go try it out! :)
I never knew about the "Insert Coin". Just tried it, that's so cute. Played Pacman using my right hand and Ms Pacman with my left hand and managed to clear 1 level without losing any lives for Pacman & Ms Pacman. :lol: Well, that's what I do (use 1 hand each for each player & play at the same time) when I want to try a 2 player game & there's nobody around to help. :P Doing this is not so fun as the concentration splits. It's still nicer to play with someone else.

Pacman was not my favourite. These Pacman type were my favourite:
- Ms Pacman - because of the bouncing fruit
- Super Pacman - because it is gigantic and cute
- Hyper Pacman - because of the power up (speed up, jump, freeze time, shoot etc)
- 3D Pacman - because it is 3D & could jump over ghosts
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

In case anyone is interested in Muppets. Today, the Goggles interactive doodle is on Jim Henson's 75th birthday which shows 5 Muppets each with different coloured hand buttons below them. Click on a coloured hand buttons and do 2 things:
1) Move your mouse cursor around the Muppet (up, down, left, right) & see what happens
2) Click either left or right mouse button and hold it for a while before releasing or click the mouse button repeatedly & see what happens
Do the above 2 actions for each coloured hand buttons.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Dammit - I missed that one. I would ahve wanted to try that one out for sure. I love the muppets. They were my childhood favourite show - along with the Fraggles. I still use the term "Ask Madam Trash (local name for Marjory the Trash heap) she knows all" whenever someone ask me something they believe I am the only one that would know. Marjory: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Marjory_the_Trash_Heap

And also I tend to say that wenever we get postccards at home from for example my dad when he is out travelling - "There is news from Uncle Travelling Max (again a Danish name for Travelling Matt)".

I wanted to buy the DVD's at one point when I found them on an auctiosite, but I got overbid in the last minute, and didn't notice, and haven't stumbled on them since....

--Mark Twain
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

Unfortunate that you missed Muppets that day. :(

Today there another animated Googles doodle called "Art Clokey's 90th Birthday. Click on the 5 different coloured balls of clay for a different animation. Nice for those who like clay animations. ;)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I saw it but was in a hurry so I never got around to clicking anything... :)

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Puzzle minigame today!
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

eMTe wrote:Puzzle minigame today!
Hint: If you don't see it on your Google's frontpage, go to for example google.ch, because it seems to be region-specific.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I dont get it... I cant see it... Wonder if it has something to do with me sitting with my wifes laptop which redirects Google.com to .dk....?

EDIT: Oh it was... :)
Amazing puzzle game - and I love the ending!

--Mark Twain
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

Wishing everyone Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays.

Since yesterday, Goggles started Christmas Doddle with lights and music. Have fun if you haven't tried. :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Definitely a doodle for the trekkie in all of us today. Go check it out and follow the adventure. :)

--Mark Twain