Why are you happy today?

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Railwaymodeler
Legend

Re: Why are you happy today?

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Skoda was able to walk a short distance on her own today for the first time. For the past couple months she could walk three or four steps then tumble to the ground. Today she walked about 12 feet on her own.

That kid is just like me, doesn't give up and keeps going until she's got it. When Maria picked her up after her 12 feet walk, Skoda was giggling and happy. Probably in her mind she was challenging herself to walk on her own.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

\o/yeay\o/ :D
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Thanks! We've also noticed that she is starting to form words. Hasn't said a complete word yet, but seems close, like her giggling and baby talk is starting to become more coherent.

This does seem a bit young to talk, but then, I was talking not long after turning 2, and she is one year 2 months. Any word that she does say may just end up being a coincidence, like she put together syllibiles and made a word. Mine was "Hot" after touching a hot plate, so that did make sense.

I got a feeling that Skoda may have a higher than average IQ. Mine is tested over the years and averages to 167. Maria has never had one, but I suspect hers is somewhat above average too. Even though she is somewhat reserved at times, she is very intelligent when she speaks. I figure she is listening closely to what is around her when she is quiet. She's generally very in tune to her surroundings, though growing up in Colombia at a time when drug wars were prominent may be a factor.

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I am happy, because I am in amazing condition. A week ago I run 26 kms which is a personal record. With addition of more over 10 kms runs and several lengthy bike rides (usually over 70 kms) I lost around 7 kgs in just two weeks. This is close to my results from 1999 when I lost 15 kgs in a month.

Oh, and some would say that removal of sugar, butter, baked and fried dishes from diet helped much too, but I will never admit it. Over my dead body.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

We've been to poetry slam with some friends today (as audience). The artistic side was rather poor, at least imho, so I decided that I will take part some day and recite a poem (since I am a rather shy person and I have ugly voice it will take 2 or 7 beers to stand in front of 20 people :wink:). Seriously now, I am happy, because none of the participants truly moved the audience, especially the femogender lassies whose "poems" sounded more like Marx writings. I, on the contrary, can rhyme (very important, but forgotten skill) and I don't care what should or should not be said, so I can make some impact with a little support from my friends of course. 8)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, I'm happy, because I finally broke with my current gf. Since it wasn't my first gf I was doomed anyway, so there's no point in being unhappy.

Now time will tell whether will I drown myself in the world of Nietzsche and Wittgenstein or will I choose to follow the Mediterranean way of being happy.

Anyway, The Game is still on and more interesting than ever. 8)
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Sounds like a very... happy... occasion... ?

Was she abusing you?

Should I let sleeping dogs lie?
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, I am happy, because I feel free. My freedom was abused.

What happened was the logical outcome of five wasted holiday rainy days.

The damn logic and recurrential nature of everything suggests that I will become more active on Facebook searching for another victim soon. As soon as I run out of supplies.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Wavelords will include you as the object of eternal watching.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I'm happy because the projects I've been working for last six months are finally public.

Also, Mirror's Edge 2 is coming.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

This is contrary to what I find as happiness.
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Friend of ours was over today, when he came in, Skoda said his name "Bob" when she saw him. He's been over here often, also being into trains, so not only is this her first word, but also shows she picked up on his name by hearing us talk!

That girl is going to be very smart and advanced for her age when she goes through school.

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

[letter unwritten]

It was so close. :|
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

What happened?

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

!!!?
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

We know what you both mean (and we also know why), but this "unwritten" post was totally unrelated to suicide. ;)

Anyway, your sudden interest in my post proves two things.

First, that my theory of "emes" works. Surprisingly even to me. I still can't believe that people read what other people write and find it interesting. I don't.

Second, that communication based on written/read language is futile, because you can accidentally write something that will be totally misunderstood by your interlocutor, either because you use the language in a wrong way or because you are in a different emotional state than your interlocutor is when he reads it and tries to reply.

In other words, internet is dead.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I do find it difficult, sometimes, to keep up with exact meanings and feelings, but I think that for the most part, I've managed to grasp most situations well enough. Maybe!
I do use an awful lot of smileys, and I'm glad when others do, too, because it helps to clarify emotions and such.. That's why they're there! We might as well use them!

Keeping up with everyone can be a struggle at times, though. My memory sucks as it is, without trying to store the various life-plotlines of over 1,000 people online! My Twitter feed, where I'm currently following 1,261 people, is a constant flow of insanity. I find myself suddenly in the middle of massive storylines, like X person's had an affair and been kicked out of their family home, or Y person's contracted a deadly illness.
You miss important bits, and need to backtrack through the person's profile to figure out what's going on.. Or worse.. You need to ask them, and admit that you can't keep up with your own influx of data!!

The Internet is a way of life, now, and I don't think I could get used to the slow pace of having to read a single daily newspaper, or rely on TV News, or .. God forbid.. Actually using my phone!!! ... As a phone!!!!

I don't read everything that's leaps onto my screen, but if I start reading something, I tend to keep going until I've finished it... Unless it gets too dull and boring, then I might skip a bit!!

You can type comfortably in the knowledge that, although everything you put online won't be read by everyone, somebody, somewhere, will probably read it. And if that one single person finds it useful, informative, or just plain funny, then that's enough justification for having written it.

If nothing else, it helps to write it out.. Even if you do [delete post] right away!
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

eMTe wrote:First, that my theory of "emes" works. Surprisingly even to me. I still can't believe that people read what other people write and find it interesting. I don't.
Except when people don't of course. I do believe you've had your share of posts universally ignored. :wink:
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Quite the contrary, I had it well understood. ;)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I am happy, because Ive discovered new type of bicycle training and so far I manage to keep to the plan. There's a ZOO in Cracow, situated on a relatively high hill (one of the highest within city borders) with an asphalt road leading to the summit. Length - ~1.9 km, average steepness 6.4%. However if you want to make rounds you should start from half of the road which makes the ascent ~1.1 km in length and gradient is slightly above 7%. It makes it similar to Mont Ventoux in toughness (if you watched Sunday's Tour de France stage), especially when you decide to make enough rounds (20 or so). Of course your muscles rest a bit during descent, but it is so quick that you hardly feel it.

This road is quite popular among cyclists, even profis, and they frequently train there in a similar manner. The road is closed for private vehicles, only buses and employees' cars are allowed, so traffic is almost non-existent. This is probably why the road is that popular.

I had a friend in the past who was riding in a semi-pro mountain team and he encouraged me to try this road, but I never had enough will-power.

So now I make ascents to Mont Ventoux three times a week. Benefits are obvious. Major downside is that after the season's end I will look not necessarily like John Candy.

Actually fatigue is not the deciding factor in my case, since I am in very good condition, having started running season early this year. First 5 or 6 ascents serve as a warm-up and later I hardly feel that I am riding up the hill. Boredom is the worst enemy. And downhills are too quick to fight it properly. So I have found another solution and I begun creating poems. Poetry - I hope so - is quite an original companion during bike training. ^^