Why are you happy today?

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Nice to hear, in a way, that it's not just American banks that have total idiots working for them. At my bank, they once passed throuhg a bogus check that someone tried to run through my account (That I did not write). The addess was 7027 (There is no 7000 block in Waukegan), my first and last name were spelled wrong printed on the check, and the signature looked nothing like mine. Bank still took the $49.99 out of my account, ONE CENT under what they WILL NOT investigate or refund!

To make it worse, when I got my first paycheck from the Adler Planetarium, a year later, they misspelled my last name slightly. Well due to the bank's first screwup, the did not clear my paycheck, and did not tell me, so when I wrote checks for that money that I didn't know didn't clear, I went overdraft. And got charged over $100 worth of fees. The dimwit personal banker did refund those fees though.

Idiots...

Anyway, I'm happy today, simply because it finally looks like all the snow we got is gone for good. I'm fixing to take my laptop outside some afternoon, and play games in the park or something.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

Friday...

Got my Swedish results today...

Passed!

This means no more courses for me. No more exams. No more Swedish. Never, ever again! Also now that I have done my basic courses I can officially begin my graduation thesis and I can actually graduate pretty soon.

Also the day is sunny, I'm healthy, wealthy and so on...
Segmentation fault
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Well I am happy for two jointly related reasons: I pulled the old brass 'loop' style couplers off my 1939 vintage die cast A.C. Gilbert coaches and put prototypical looking 'knuckle' couplers on them. They all stay together just fine. That's the first half.

Those brass couplers went onto J.C. Silversides coaches, which are 80 scale feet long and needed couplers that had a lot of swing in them. The only thing that has worked are the brass loop couplers. So by shifting parts around, I got two vintage passenger trains working!

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well mostly because Tanja said yes to maryying me some time in the next year...
But sadly this is also the last day of my leave, but I am looking forward to seeing what awaits me at work when I get there tomorrow. I have a VERY exciting meeting friday and a theatre to put up on saturday.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Three months are already over??? Seems like yesterday when you told us that's your last day at work...:scared:
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

I'm happy today because Italy lost 0-3 in the Euro2008 :D
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

:Brucelee: Bad boy, Tank, bad boy!!! I'm a big fan of Italy and I'm not happy at all... :viking:
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

Honestly, I hate Italian Football. Well, if you can call it like that. :) I still haven't forgotten the Semi-Final and the Final 2 years ago.
Materazzi is still one player I absolutely dislike.
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

Tank wrote:Honestly, I hate Italian Football. Well, if you can call it like that. :) I still haven't forgotten the Semi-Final and the Final 2 years ago.
Materazzi is still one player I absolutely dislike.
*sign*

:twisted:
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Come on, don't blame Materazzi for Zidane's blackout. Football players insult each other on the field hundreds of time everyday worldwide. A professional and experienced player like Zidane should never loose his nerves the way he did. Absolutely unforgivable!!!

But I think it's the wrong thread to discuss this issue...;)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Anyway back on topic...

Tomorrow I head to Camp Ma Ka Ja Wan for four days. Got some light computer work to do, but will spend most of the time relaxing.

Am tying up loose ends today, and low level formatting hard drives to put on eBay later.

But I'm thrilled to have the trip tomorrow, and also, that sales on eBay have been very good.

Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

At the beginning of the year I realized that I was physically in a quite bad condition. It was the 7th of march when I finally bought myself a new pair of good running shoes and started running again. Since then I ran about every second day. At the beginning I was just able to run about 20 minutes (and every bone and muscle in my body hurt after that), but by now I'm able to run about 12 km in an hour again without any problems. I lost some kilos and I think I'm in a better condition than I have been for years.

I'm quite happy about that and I really enjoy doing sports again. It was my goal to run a half marathon in spring next year. But who knows? I might even go for the marathon... :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I just joined up for a 5 kilometer run where you run as a team one at a time, and this I see as warmup for a larger run called the Eremitageløb, which is around 13 kilometers. I have set that particular run as my goal, since that was the one I was going to run to prove to myslef that I had made myself a better more healthy person whn I unfortunately broke my leg. It has a very symbolic meaning to me, so I am excited about getting into shape for it.
I also just got my new bike today, so that will help me skip the car, and give me a healthier alternative.
I really cant wait to get running again, but it has been hard to find time so far, but it seems to be easing up a bit.

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

And here after a little more than a month it finally succeeded, and what a great run it was.
I ran 3½ kilometers in one go, after not having run for so long. My legs will propably kill me in my sleep later today but it was really worth it. My confidence is going through the roof, and I really look forward to doing this some more.
I will start a running diary to keep track of how I am doing.

Oh and I am also glad because I ahve been afraid to ask Tanja if our vacation to Tuscany with my family was off due to her mothers death, but she told me a few days ago that we are still going, and we have been looking forward to this for some time so I cant wipe that smile of my face. :D

PA, how is your running going?

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Just great! It was my goal to be able to run the Leipzig Half Marathon in under two hours next spring (should be around April). But when I made my short trip to the astern Sea two weeks ago, I went running there and I was able to run 17,5 km in 1 hour 36 minutes. So I might set myself some higher goals.

Last two weeks I wasn't able to run every two days (as I normally does), because it it very hot here (about 30 degrees even in the evenings), I had friends and family around my place most of the time and I also had some physical problems (playing with kids is dangerous ;)).
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

USE GROIN PROTECTION AT ALL TIMES!!!

17,5 kilometers! Wow. Do you run the whole time or walk from time to time. Eitherway it is amazing.

It is hot here too, but I plan on getting up early and running there. That will give me the chance to run to go homw and take a shower before the rest of the house wakes up for real. I can propably get running at around 6.30 in the morning without Tanja feeling I just left her with Anna. I plan to run every 2-3 days for the next month or so. My sisters boyfriend and my mothers husband both brought runningclothes, so we can go running when we meet up in Tuscany in a week and a half.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I run the whole time...:)

Believe me: You will get better and able to run longer distances very soon. I also started with about 4,5 km in March and after that all my bones ached and it felt like I was going to die. Today I smile about it.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am planning on doing some routes today, that I will then plan into my running schedule so I will be able to run the 5 kilometer run in September with no problems what so ever.
I will write a link to my running diary as soon as I have made it so you can see how I run and plan to run.

--Mark Twain
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

:blahblah: Today I graduated from the University after 7 years of studying. I just can't describe the feeling. I'm happy, but it feels sort of empty...

And since it happens to be Friday it's :Party2:
Segmentation fault
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Congratulations!

I remember my graduation from university very well, which is quite a wonder because I started drinking about noon that day and was drunk for three days in a row... :shots:

So I would say: CHEERS!!! :cheers: