Explain your name....

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Parvini
Tycoon

Explain your name....

Post by Parvini »

This is sort of a sister thread to the avatar one...

Simple this - why did you pick you screen name?

Now, mine is rather boring and easy to explain - my name is Neema Parvini so it is simply my surname but I've always wondered why eMTe is called that with the little "e"s and the big "MT" for example.

So here is your chance to explain your name.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well Chroelle is actually Chrølle and should be Krølle, which means curl in Danish or as a nickname Curly.
The name I got when I was just a wee young boy in the late seventies start eighties, and I developed quite a wig, with the whole long blond, snake curled look that was great back then. My sister started calling me Chrølle, and later it just got around. Funny enough my sister is more or less the only one who doesn't call me Chrølle anymore. She calls me brormand (brother) or Chrille.
I don't have the curls anymore as you cn see on my pictures, but the nick has stuck around. Even my parents call me Chrølle now. Real name is Christian which is why CHrølle is CH and not the Krølle which would be proper spelling. CH is in Danish as in English a K sound.
Hope that explains it.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Ancsur2002
Patron

Post by Ancsur2002 »

My real first name is Anikó, and my nickname derived from that is Ancsur.
(pronounciation: A like in fAther, N like in Needle, CS like in CHicken, U like in pOOr, and R like in maRine :) )

2002 was the first year I had an email address, so the account name was Ancsur2002, and I sticked to this screen name almost everywhere since then.
The Bible teaches you that thou shalt love thy neighbour. Kama Sutra teaches you how.

Hungarian Scorpio of the Forums
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Explain your name....

Post by eMTe »

Parvini wrote:I've always wondered why eMTe is called that with the little "e"s and the big "MT" for example
Funny that when I only saw the topic title I knew I'll find something about "eMTe"... :)

And no, I wont tell you why I'm eMTe, it's a total mystery and can be revealed not sooner than in 12.06.2012... And this date isnt accidental... Consider it a hint. :mrgreen:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pitkin
Tycoon

Post by Pitkin »

Edward Taylor's written an English radio play named Men from the Ministry, which ran in the British radios somewhere in the post-World War II, before eventually finishing in the end of 1960s. This play featured a character originally called Sir Gregory Pitkin, the corrupt and perverted supervisor of the General Assistance Department. When Men from the Ministry was then adopted into Finnish language in the beginning of 1970s, the name Sir Gregory was found to be too 'difficult' to be used commonly in the play, so it was changed into simpler Sir Henry.

Well, I grew up listening to that radio play and always loved the three main male characters: the aforementioned Pitkin, but also Richard Lamm (originally Lamb) and Hannibal Hamilton-Jones. The voice talents were perfect for their roles, making the characters seem extremely natural and alive. Back in March 2003, when I joined OG, I had just had a few months experience of two other forums (which I never became too active member in), I was torn between a couple of nickname possibilities but eventually ended up with the SirHenryPitkin.

By time, it became clear I'd never be called SirHenryPitkin by anyone, but instead Pitkin, Sir Henry, Sir Pitkin (grrr, this is so wrong), SHP, Super Hewlett-Packard, Keitaro, Ecchi Baka and so on. I got used to the nicknames, and SirHenryPitkin started feeling too long and impractical.

Next time I faced the situation having to choose my nickname took place at a time I was also facing one of my traditional self-loathing and depressive waves, and after a long think I ditched the whole Pitkin as username and went for Mantzaros instead. Enough of that. Then came the time to join the BD realm, and I returned to the Pitkin class again, this time just adding Daigakusei in front of it ('uni student' in Japanese); I was/am an enthusiastic Japanese learner, and it felt nice, homely longish for a nickname.

After that, it's been Pitkin all the way (one exception exists); the original SHP but shorter. Ever since the beginning, I've liked the sound of that name, and no matter how egoistic/unimaginative it might seem, most of the written stories I've 'come up with' (read ripped off from somewhere) feature a person called Pitkin as one of the main characters.

Long post, and off topic mostly. This turned out to be a look into the history of my nickname. -_-
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Railwaymodeler: From my hobby of building model railways, which often take a sizable portion of my home's floor space. (I'm adding to my living room railway again, it already is over 120 square feet and now growing again- I may have to throw out the easy chair!)

I use it on a couple other forums too, notable tt-forums.net and OG. Only difference is that here the R is capitalized.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Chillum is what I've been called sometimes.. Then I just used it on the internet... Like fx. 2600Chillum, Chillum2600 or just Chillum (2600 is my postal code).. Nowadays it is SSK2600, which is my initials (Sebastian Severin Kirk)

Ancsur, I have learned something from you'r post.. :) I thought it was pronounced like AN in AND, then C as in Cool and then SUR like SIR.. :D
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Ancsur2002
Patron

Post by Ancsur2002 »

Chillum wrote:
Ancsur, I have learned something from you'r post.. :) I thought it was pronounced like AN in AND, then C as in Cool and then SUR like SIR.. :D
LOL somehow almost everyone thinks that :D
The Bible teaches you that thou shalt love thy neighbour. Kama Sutra teaches you how.

Hungarian Scorpio of the Forums
Pepsi
Mod

Post by Pepsi »

pepsi... hmmm i really dont know...
today it is most Pepsui witch was a typo as i should suicide in heroes.dk =)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

sure you shouldn't DEcide on heroes instead of SUIcide...?

--Mark Twain
espenso84
Patron

Post by espenso84 »

espenso84 = ESPEN SOmby born in 1984.... Pretty boring, but I got this login name a long time ago, and it has stuck ever since. (and espenso sounds a little like a mafia name so it's not too bad :p hehe)
No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.

- Homer Simpson
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

In Frank Herberts Dune, Usul is Paul Atreides name in his home sietch.

Because I love the Dune universe, my friends started calling me Usul and it became my nick.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

My screen name here is Dizi as that is the name a lot of OG members called me when I had my longer name. So really there isn't much of a story behind Dizi other than that :p
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

If I remember correctly your full name was Dizilussionment... I'm glad you changed :D

Much quicker just typing Dizi. And now people have sometimes shortened it down even more to Diz...

--Mark Twain
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Perhaps I should call you Darz instead of Diz ;)

And my name?

Well, it comes from a song... If I remember correctly, words were something like
"...I'm seethru faded super jaded out of my mind..."
drak_swordsman

Post by drak_swordsman »

Drak Swordsman, for Draconic Swordsman...

In case you don't know, draconic means "of dragons: relating to or like a dragon or dragons." That's from a dictionary :P
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/drak_swordsman/gw-drakswordsman-low.jpg[/img]
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

Green is my favourite colour - 77 the year of my birth. Not very imaginative but I have never had a nickname.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

drak_swordsman wrote:Drak Swordsman, for Draconic Swordsman...

In case you don't know, draconic means "of dragons: relating to or like a dragon or dragons." That's from a dictionary :P
I always thought that you had made a typo while trying to write Dark swordsman, and then just kept it, like Pepsi who is Pepsui in a couple of places too. But I see the meaning now :D

--Mark Twain
justin

Post by justin »

In secondary school someone discovered that I look like a guy named justin in N'Sync :) I refused this, but it was too late, the whole school knows me as justin
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Hehe.. ;) Sad, justin.. Justin from N'Sync is Justin Thimberlake.. But what the heck.. The girls thinks he is hot, and if you look like him it cant be that bad.. ;)
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!