War over GameHippo

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

War over GameHippo

Post by Zyx »

GameHippo has been MIA for some time, and I guess we had some site news abot its demise and how there was a rebuilding effort.

Well, turns out, there are two and they're pretty hostile at each other.

Check this thread.

Oh well.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

It always makes me sad to see how people get hostile and aggressive against each other when they could in fact create something great if they'd just work together.

I'm not sure which smiley I should use to comment about their war; this one :cry: or this one :popcorn:?
Last edited by Pater Alf on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:27, edited 1 time in total.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

:popcorn:
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

It now has a few more posts and I must admit that somehow this is turning weird and seems to be more the battle of two guys than of two sites. Who has the right to rebuild a site that someone sold off? Well I think this is very counterproductive indeed and I cant help but feel like when a certain other forum turned belly up for a while...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:Might be an interesting topic for the world news
Might be, but I feel we should restrain from such comments in public forums. This doesnt sound too nice if someone reads it. We're not tabloid newspaper after all. ;)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

We could however comment that there are now two sites you can use as an alternative to Gamehippo. This would be clean and informative, and wouldn't point towards the fight they are having.
I think I will go write those news in a sec. If anyone has objections then please let me know here. I will keep it clean and untabloidish.

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, I have no objections with adding it to news, because it's news after all and with discussing subject of course. But I feel that saying that something sad is great for news section is a bit harsh. If it is - let's add it silently or consult each other via pms and talk about subject only. I think you know what I want to say and it is clearer now. :)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Deleted
Last edited by Pater Alf on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:30, edited 1 time in total.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

To make things even more clear. Things hide between the lines. If something not exactly good is happening and we say that this is great/interesting/good for/worth/whatever writing in news section we send a signal to the world that we gain profits from the situation. Which is true, because we do. And we want. Writing news section in every site is somewhat a journalist's job. It is officially called "informing", but no intelligent being can deny that everyone is proud if his/her site informs as first. But this interest should not be revealed to public. It simply sounds bad. If we, for example, were to inform about death of a person (afair creator of Street Bike Fury committed suicide) and somebody of his close friends read in our forums that this is news for our "news section" how would he feel? Of course it is "news" because we should inform about it and only someone ill-minded could say that somebody of us is happy to write it. But we should not say that we want to write it. It's the matter of taste and proper words, unnecessary words in this case. That's how I see it. ;)
redigit
Tourist

Post by redigit »

I remember when that site used to be freegames.org. It is a bit surprising to see two sites competing for it's place, I didn't know it was that popular.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: War over GameHippo

Post by Zyx »

I found myself wondering about Gamehippo the other day and so now I'm opening up this thread. What ever happened to this thing? Last time there were some rumors of something happening but thegameshippo.com hasn't seen any updates since 2010. Anyone know what's happening or is the big mammal dead for good?
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Oh, but we have some info from 2011.

http://forum.curlysworldoffreeware.com/ ... o&start=20

There's even your post there! 8)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Yeah but mine is from 2010. :)

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

And speaking of other sites, I also wonder what's going with this.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Nothing. Soon we'll be the only freeware gaming site around.

Seriously, there's a couple of "old" sites that are still alive and updated, by "old" I mean the sites that already existed when we started CWF. Like moshboy's planetfreeplay, fullgames.sk, acid-play, freegame.cz, Victory Games (this one actually developed into big portal dedicated to both freeware and shareware) etc. (I talk about sites that I browse often in search for games and news, i probably forgot some). Only Noodan changed its profile - afair it was offline gaming site, while now it only hosts casual flash games. Besides, sites dedicated to specific tools, like AGS or Game Maker are technically also freeware gaming sites - huge majority of games they host and review are freeware. So, in fact, only two biggies descended into vague state - Caiman (but it was hit by the death of its creator, so that's another issue) and Hippo.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

eMTe wrote:...Like moshboy's planetfreeplay...
I think you are wrong about this one. As far as I can see it hasn't been updated for at least two years.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Really? I believe I visited it a couple of weeks ago and it SEEMED updated. My bad then.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

eMTe wrote:Really? I believe I visited it a couple of weeks ago and it SEEMED updated. My bad then.
Edit: indeed.

http://www.formspring.me/moshboy/q/1395866799

At least this is what I found.