CWF Readers Club

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: CWF Readers Club

Post by eMTe »

Zyx wrote:the threat is not that the attackers (or defectors) will keep the upper hand but that the society will make unwise decisions in effort to narrow the gap. Instead of focusing on liquids and underwear on a plane, the efforts should be directed at intelligence, investigation and emergency response instead.
What if there's no "threat", "society" is built of both attackers and defectors, "gaps" and "efforts" are just funny words, "intelligence" and "investigation" mean the same and "emergency response" is simply a sexual activity?

:wink:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I finished reading The Nostalgia Factory, an excellent book which tells about important matters in a simple manner. It is also the second book by Douwe Draaisma I have read, the first being Disturbances of the Mind, which I can also recommend.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

So, I have Game of Thrones. I read a couple of first chapters and I admit the book is very good written and appears to be quite complex and deep. It is certainly not writing of Gene Wolfe's quality, but I can understand why it has become a hit.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Just started on the second book myself. I find GoT mostly good due to unpredictability. I hope it stays that way.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

I also like it, but I stopped reading halfway through because I started The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor, but now that I am finished that, I may jump back into GoT.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

What I like most about the book after reading a couple of chapters more is that action is seen through the eyes of many people whose fates intertwine later - it makes the depicted world more lively and believable. Certainly it is literature harder to write than Tolkienish books - party of characters going from A to B having adventures in the meantime.

Speaking of Martin, I recommend to you all his old short story - Sandkings. As much as I generally despise sf and fantasy as literary genres this gem shines in the ocean of trash.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I started reading Londonistan by Melanie Phillips. Objectively looking, it's a flawed book, very emotional, full of categorical opinions, warnings and most likely not well researched. It's one of those hate-or-love books which many people read not for truth, but to feel happier that somebody shares their views. Since my approach to Muslims is the same as to football hooligans I felt a little happier, even if I'm aware that noose tightens and nothing can be done about it.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I have checked a pile of books on my desk (which started gathering dust as gf noticed) and among rather obscure books which haven't been translated into any languages there's one book which I was recommended to read by several people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Wh ... _for_a_Hat

The other book is biography of Lovecraft with whom I share certain views. Most prominent is my opinion that various religious and contactee experiences ar products of ill (or not enough developed brains), however all these "eons" and "Great Old Ones" concepts do the great job as literary devices.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

To my big surprise just a couple of minutes ago I finished reading Lovecraft's biography. Sacks' book (short and easy to swallow) still gathers dust, barely touched.

Since the winds are favourable I guess reading Emile Durkheim's biography by Stephen Lukes is a good option now.

Sacks must wait.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

http://www.amazon.com/Trust-Me-Lying-Co ... 159184553X

I was recommended to read this book by my friend working (being deep in the shit) in "social media". Well, it is most likely a good book, as long as you believe that internet is everything and there are not alternate solutions, not to mention - big word for youngsters - alternate realities.

Now, the big task in nearby decades will be to teach children - on global scale - what is tree, what is mountain, what is animal. Ultimately, what is another human being. Second, inexplicably harder, step will be to teach them how to experience pleasure when dealing with nature.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I have read these four books. They are written in an accessible manner and present an up-to-date knowledge on subjects, so they can be recommended even for older teenagers.

http://www.amazon.com/Takes-Genome-Betw ... 013713746X

http://www.amazon.com/Chips-Clones-Livi ... B002Q1YDTU

http://www.amazon.com/Root-Thought-Unlo ... 0137151713

http://www.amazon.com/Pictures-Mind-Neu ... 0137155166
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Today I have bought Shrek. No, not the movie, the original book. Not surprisingly (as it usually happens) in comparison with the formatted and unfunny movie the book is witty, gritty, cruel, disgusting and intelligent. If you have kids or need a good gift this book is a mustbuy.

I have also bought several pool-reading books, like Umberto Eco's "Apocalypse Postponed" and "Turning Back the Clock: Hot Wars and Media Populism" or Richard Rorty's "Contingency, irony, and solidarity". I may finish them relatively quickly (and forget everything I have read even quicker ;)) since I am currently not living with the enemy.

I have also two last Wallanders - Firewall and The Troubled Man.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I borrowed Houllebecq's essay about Lovecraft. Not that I was pursuing this book, especially that I tend to avoid reading in general in favour of writing, but here it is, lying on my desk. Lovecraft I like, as a person with interesting biography. His works don't work for me. As for Houllebecq I don't know what the guy writes about, but a couple of years ago my friend told me that if I will ever decide to publish anything I write I will be immediately called the Polish Houllebecq. I don't know if it was the compliment or stating the obvious.

In other words, the book seems to be interesting.